[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 16 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Snow Leopard Is Location-Aware <http://feeds.oreilly.com/~r/oreilly/digitalmedia/mac/~3/B4aVNq7Dhds/snow-leopard-is-location-aware.html>
Brady Forrest, O'Reilly Media

Shortly after installing Snow Leopard I saw the first evidence of the new location services built into the operating system. I got the new version of Clarke, a Fire Eagle updater. After the install a window appeared that asked me if I wanted to share my location with an application. Finally!

**** iPhone Fever Probably Won't Spread In China <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fla-fi-china-iphone16-2009oct16%2C0%2C1021033.story&usg=AFQjCNFUTDFObhVsLPAXRcdGjgJMp1R_kw>
David Pierson, Los Angeles Times

Apple will officially launch its handset here this month, but it's unlikely to spur zealotry. That's because the device has long been imported as well as pirated -- and has to vie with the OPhone.

**** Apple's iPhoto Makes It Way Too Easy To Delete Your Entire Flickr Library <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/15/apples-iphoto-makes-it-way-too-easy-to-delete-your-entire-flickr-library/>
Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch

Apple has long been associated with the saying “it just works”. Well, sometimes it apparently works a little too well, to the point of allowing users to delete their entire Flickr libraries in one fell swoop without really meaning to. Oops.

**** iPhone App Helps You Keep Track Of Your Favorite Zoo Animal <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.chron.com%2Fpeep%2F2009%2F10%2Fa_new_iphone_app_for_the_houst.html&usg=AFQjCNGnD9SpEVP_uOkq53mdpGcK2Re6Rg>
Houston Chronicle

At the Houston Zoo, anyone with an iPhone or iPod Touch can log onto a new application for a hand-held guide from the meerkats to Toby the red panda. It even offers a real-time, GPS-guided map to the nearest restrooms, handy when nature calls the human cubs that roam the zoo.

**** Augmented-Reality Apps Continute To Roll Out <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com%2F2009%2F10%2F15%2Faugmented-reality-apps-continute-to-roll-out%2F&usg=AFQjCNE4J8ZLjnwJvE4aOxHB6pMbfdI1Cw>
Azadeh Ensha, New York Times

**** Free Apps Turn Your iPhone Into A Multipurpose Tool <http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/~r/usatoday-TechTopStories/~3/b9FWH-XZbic/2009-10-15-iphone-apps_N.htm>
Kim Komando, USA Today

**** The In-App Purchase Shakeup Begins: Boxcar Goes Free! <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/15/the-in-app-purchase-shakeup-begins-boxcar-goes-free/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** App Store Lessons: Picking An Application Name <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/15/app-store-lessons-picking-an-application-name/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

So what's a developer to do? It seems like the only way to vet an application (let alone an application name) is to submit it and see whether Apple rejects it or not. If the name is used in the application art, you might have to redesign your screens. If the application idea is not okay, you might end up throwing away all your development costs because Apple would not give a preapproval before starting serious development.

**** Aqua Data Studio 8.0 Adds Support For Six More Databases <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=e7aafa13438532a8d84b4d2d1ca5d339>
MacNN

The software is geared toward visualizing and working with multiple relational databases in a single view.

**** Analysts Enraged At Apple For Not Obeying Their Predictions <http://www.bing.com:80/news/rssclick.aspx?redir=http%253a%252f%252fwww.itworld.com%252fpersonal-tech%252f81250%252fanalysts-enraged-apple-not-obeying-their-predictions>
IT World

**** Review: Mac OS X 10.6 Server <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8f86d20217c14c53d60b7f40bcc79856>
John C. Welch, Macworld

With the significant price cut, new features, and improvements to existing features, Mac OS X 10.6 Server is a solid product. For an all or mostly-Mac network, this isn’t an if upgrade, but a when, especially if you have iPhone users clamoring for push services.

**** If These Ten Apps Don’t Convince You To Jailbreak Your iPhone, Nothing Will <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/_XEZDohlfmA/18045>
Tim Cox, Cult of Mac

Through Cydia, you can download and install each item below and add new functionality and usefulness to your iPhone. I give you the Top Ten Must Have iPhone Jailbreak Apps.

**** iPhone Apps Enable 'Supercomputer-Class' Image Rendering <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=cd41c8d1747b4f077c62bf11b6647c96>
John Cox, Macworld

University of Utah researchers and programmers are creating an iPhone application that will let users edit massive image files containing hundreds of gigabytes of data. When you get bored with that, you can use another of their recently released applications to virtually dissect a real human corpse.

**** AT&T Still Riding High With iPhone <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marketwatch.com%2Fstory%2Fatt-still-riding-high-with-iphone-2009-10-16&usg=AFQjCNELq4ZUdOIU8NmibB7B79t1W0KOEA>
MarketWatch

AT&T and Verizon Communications Inc., its main competitor, have largely weather a poor economy because of their sheer size and big lead over rivals in the wireless business. AT&T in particular has benefited greatly from its exclusive rights to sell the Apple iPhone.

**** Arranging Your iPhone Apps Is A Waste Of Time <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/2T1OP7wZqMY/18826>
Giles Turnbull, Cult of Mac

I spent time carefully arranging my apps into genre-specific screens like this, and found within days that installing new apps ruined the effect. What I realized was, once you’ve started arranging your apps, you’re tied into constantly maintaining that arrangement.

**** Bugs & Fixes: Solving Safari Cookie Problems <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=edc3db0c3e147c15393fddad90415c91>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Kung Fu Panda: The Game <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1067>
Michael Wuerthele, Inside Mac Games

Kung Fu Panda is a good game that displays console roots at every turn. Keyboard and mouse controls are functional, but plainly some sort of gamepad is what’s intended for the controls of the game. Credit goes to whomever set the price for the game, as it was released a year after the movie and the tie-in games for just about every other platform in the world were shipped. As Mac users, we’re accustomed to delayed releases, but it still isn’t optimal. Kung Fu Panda defeats all expectations of ports and movie games with a body splash attack, but I’m afraid that even with the aggressive pricing for a new release game, the release is too little too late.

**** A Windows Disadvantage They Don't Talk About! <http://www.technightowl.com/2009/10/a-windows-disadvantage-they-dont-talk-about/>
Gene Steinberg, TechNightOwl

What’s strange about the particular shortcoming I’m about to discuss is that Apple solved the problem with the very first Mac in 1984, and Microsoft clearly isn’t paying attention, despite spending tens of billions of dollars to make Windows into a reasonably stable, productive operating system.

I’m talking about mouse tracking!

**** The Non-Tragedy Of The Commons <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=ebe6a00694d8a395305a5fdc8db80fa7>
John Tierney, New York Times

The 2009 Nobel Prize for economics is a useful reminder of how easy it is for scientists to go wrong, especially when their mistake jibes with popular beliefs or political agendas.

**** Let's Get Those Phones Ringing! <http://feeds.slate.com/click.phdo?i=bae2b1777b4d4ed64ca8e0047f44fbdd>
June Thomas, Slate Magazine

The cunning genius of the public radio fundraising drive.

**** La Negra Blanca <http://www.thecollagist.com/archive/October2009/Gay/index.html>
Roxane Gay, The Collagist

**** Men In White: Ex-CPIB Head Baffled By Account <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_442800.html>
Yoong Siew Wah, Straits Times

Do you think that a little note of correction in your newspaper is in order to preserve my reputation?

**** Lim Swee Say : Cheaper, Better, Faster (CBF).... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/10/lim-swee-say-cheaper-better-faster-cbf.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

Unless the cost of living is low, workers cannot afford to suppliers of cheap labor. Lim Swee Say doesn't come cheap and as labor chief he cannot expect Singapore workers to be cheap.

**** China National Fights Back <http://todayinsingapore.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/china-national-fights-back/>
Today In Singapore

That’s the norm at Abu Ghraib.

**** Thumbs Up For Abolishing This Age-discrimination Practice <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2009/10/thumbs-up-for-abolishing-this-age.html>
Urban Rant

Given the Singapore government's pro-business stance, and its willingness to use a blunt tool to 'protect' jobs, this indeed a welcome reprieve.

**** Intellectual Dishonesty: SPH Did Not Reveal Source Of 1986 Report In The Yoong Siew Wah Fiasco <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/16/intellectual-dishonesty-sph-did-not-reveal-source-of-1986-report-in-the-yoong-siew-wah-fiasco/>
The Temasek Review

In the editors’ note they inserted below Mr Yoong’s letter in the Straits Times Forum, the authors claimd that what they wrote in the book was based on newspaper reports in 1986, which said that Yoong had been boarded out as a result of the incident with Mr Seow.

Who wrote the report? And what is it based on? These lingering questions were not addressed by SPH.

**** MDA Seizes Opportunity To Stifle Dissent Online <http://secretpoliticalblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/mda-seizes-opportunity-to-stifle.html>
The Secret Political Blog

Regardless, it is too early to say whether the actual policy will restrict free speech on the internet, but it is certainly not to point out how all these contributes to an atmosphere of repression.

**** Proposed Amendments To Present HDB Policy To Increase Affordability Of Public Housing In Singapore <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/16/proposed-amendments-to-present-hdb-policy-to-increase-affordability-of-public-housing-in-singapore/>
The Temasek Review

The ball is in the government’s court to ensure that HDB stay true to its original mission and vision of providing quality and cheap public housing to every Singapore citizen which is not merely affordable, but easily affordable such that the people do not have to deplete their CPF accounts in order to finance the astronomical 30-year mortage loans and will have adequate disposable income to enjoy a standard of living commensurate with a first world country besides saving enough to meet one retirement needs.

**** Singapore Key Exports Tumble In September: Govt <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fafp%2Farticle%2FALeqM5hTEEc4chb_GQntAUfJd2iYcL9MdQ&usg=AFQjCNEsw59CmCBTsL04GMZQ7e5pi0RSMg>
AFP

Singapore's key exports fell for the 17th consecutive month in September as demand from crucial markets including the US and European Union continued to decline, data released Friday showed.

**** Malaysia Promotes Lesser Known Attractions To Singaporeans <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=447446>
Bernama

Malaysia is promoting lesser known places of interest to Singaporeans, according to Tourism Malaysia Director-General, Datuk Mirza Mohammad Taiyab. He said as Singaporeans are frequent visitors, Malaysia needed to offer fresh, all-year round attractions, to ensure their stay was fun and worthwhile as well as to keep them coming.

**** No Sign Of Recovery For Singapore Airlines <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/10/16/no-sign-of-recovery-for-singapore-airlines/>
Ben Sandilands, Crikey

**** Parliament Will Debate Questions Over EPL Rights, Standards Of Local Pageants <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1011772/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Questions over the rights to air the English Premier League (EPL) as well as other sports channels will be raised when Parliament sits on Monday.

**** 200,000 Members Married <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_443004.html>
Straits Times

**** Singapore Economy “Recovering” Because It’s Getting Worse At Slower Rate <http://singaporeuncletrader.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/singapore-economy-recovering-because-its-getting-worse-at-slower-rate/>
Temasek Hedge