[MyAppleMenu] Oct 11, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 11 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Review: Tweetie 2 Is The Best iPhone App. Period. <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/XChdqlvjI7c/18312>
Pete Mortensen, Cult of Mac

It’s incredibly useful, smooth as butter, innovative in design and features, and just works as you expect that it would. It’s as if it sprung, fully formed, from the skull of the iPhone, as if to say, “This is how it should work.” Not only has Tweetie 2 raised the bar for mobile Twitter clients, it’s raised the bar for mobile software.

**** Top 10 iPhone Apps To Save You Money <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.timesonline.co.uk%2Ftol%2Fmoney%2Fconsumer_affairs%2Farticle6869207.ece&usg=AFQjCNH_DTSpEpgFrgvuPAOW0OCVmgwSwA>
Jennifer Hill, Times Online

>From tracking mortgages to finding the best store prices there are more than 85,000 apps for iPhone to make your life easier.

**** Watch Your Data Get Eaten – Bad Microso… Err .. Apple <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inquisitr.com%2F41838%2Fwatch-your-data-get-eaten-bad-microso-err-apple%2F&usg=AFQjCNGLvOx0vN2He5ZXwmrPSUjVG7PWOA>
The Inquisitr

**** 20 Fantastic Free iPhone Apps For Parents <http://mashable.com/2009/10/10/iphone-apps-parents/>
Jeana Lee Tahnk, Mashable

What follows is a list of 20 free apps that won’t necessarily make you a better parent, but can make your life a little easier, or help out in a pinch wherever you are. And when you have a screaming, bored, hungry, or need-to-use-the-bathroom kid, sometimes a little help is all you need. The apps listed below have been compiled from the eyes of a parent, but many can be used regardless of whether you do or don’t have children.

**** Tweetie 2 Leaves The Nest <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a7f5326407e1b154ee6dabd125cbba29>
Nic Vargus, Macworld

Tweetie 2 boasts a remarkably long list of new features. What words can’t describe, however, is the blazingly fast new interface, which threatens to turn even reluctant tweeters into Ashton Kutchers and Chad Ochocincos.

**** Vonage, Skype iPhone Apps Make Global Calls Cheaper <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fseattletimes.nwsource.com%2Fhtml%2Fbusinesstechnology%2F2010040609_ptmacc07.html&usg=AFQjCNGDIxCsm_QYnhzuDZjZYKSm-0nlKg>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

Skype and Vonage Mobile, both free to download and available for the iPhone and iPod touch, use their own calling networks to offer quite inexpensive per-minute calling to destinations outside the U.S. Each application comes with limitations, which are about to change.

**** Small Schools Become Technology Pioneers <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.desmoinesregister.com%2Farticle%2F20091011%2FNEWS02%2F910110335%2F-1%2FSPORTS09&usg=AFQjCNGQgaK_yu1Wz9etiEiWW03Ji-OhkA>
DesMoinesRegister.com

**** Unboxed: To Do More With Less, Governments Go Digital <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=c73c86ed88548a06d9fcb32fd536acb1>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Local governments, like many businesses, are struggling with a data glut. Agencies collect huge amounts of information about topics as diverse as building permits, potholes, Medicaid cases and foster-child placements. Technology, according to computer experts and government officials, can be a powerful tool to mine vast troves of government data for insights to streamline services and guide policy.

**** Modernism And The Little Magazines <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article6864371.ece>
Stefan Collini, The Times

The literary journal is dead. Long live the literary journal.

**** Offensive Play <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell>
Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker

How different are dogfighting and football?

**** Eric Low To Low Thia Kiang: “Don’t Politicize LUP!” <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/11/eric-low-to-low-thia-kiang-dont-politicize-lup/>
The Temasek Review

**** Why Singaporeans Are Angry Over The Zhang Yuanyuan Fiasco <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/11/why-singaporeans-are-angry-over-the-zhang-yuanyuan-fiasco/>
The Temasek Review

Singaporeans are not angry over Ms Zhang’s loyalty to her motherland, but rather at the liberal immigration policy of the ruling party which has altered the demographics of Singapore completely over the last few years.

**** Take-up Rate 'Encouraging' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_440861.html>
Cai Haoxiang, Straits Times

Close to 12,000 people have signed up for the new Central Provident Fund (CPF) annuity scheme opened last month to Singaporeans and permanent residents aged 55 and older.

Minister of state (trade and industry and manpower) Lee Yi Shyan last night described the number signing up for CPF Life as encouraging.

**** Singapore Police Arrest Falun Gong Practitioners While Meditating, Displaying Posters <http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/23680/>
George Fu, The Epoch Times

Seven Falun Gong practitioners were arrested while doing exercises in a local park in Singapore on Oct. 5. Police handcuffed four of the practitioners, citing “vandalizing public property” after they put posters on a wall. Three others, who were meditating, were not handcuffed, since "meditation is allowed," according to police.

**** With A Diploma From China, Zhang Yuanyuan Got Her Singapore PR In Only Two Months <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/11/with-a-diploma-from-china-zhang-yuanyuan-got-her-singapore-pr-in-only-two-months/>
The Temasek Review

While some Singaporeans scoffed at the government’s attempts to “import” more foreigners as “cheapening” our citizenship, there is nothing they can do about it as long the incumbent remains in power.

**** Super Grassroots! <http://pngapore.blogspot.com/2009/10/super-grassroots.html>
Times They Are A-Changin'

**** Another Teenager Caught, Set To Hang <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1074.htm>
Yawning Bread

Whatever the list of crimes may be for which a country specifies the death penalty in its laws, there is a common thread, and that is that there are certain ideas valued higher than life. People who clamour for or defend the death penalty hold this as an unspoken assumption.

**** Wet Market To Stay <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_440926.html>
Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times

Stallholders at Sembawang New Market in Canberra Road - the only wet market in Sembawang - will stay put after all, instead of making way for a FairPrice supermarket. Health minister and Sembawang GRC MP Khaw Boon Wan said on Sunday the market operator has decided to extend its lease with the Housing and Development Board.

**** Taiwanese Orator Speaking At Singapore Forum: A Case Of Foreign Interference In Local Politics? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/11/taiwanese-orator-speaking-at-singapore-forum-a-case-of-foreign-interference-in-local-politics/>
The Temasek Review

The Singapore government has always eschewed “foreign interference” in its domestic affairs. Foreign speakers are frequently barred from speaking at indoor forums and events organized by opposition parties.

It appears that the rules are bent especially for Li and Zhang which is not surprising since they are promoting the “virtues” of the PAP government to its own ignorant and naive citizens.

**** Concerns Raised Over Possible Abuse Of Jobs Credit Scheme <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1010703/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

The government is looking into whether the Jobs Credit Scheme fits into its long-term economic strategy for Singapore. It will announce its decision on the future of the scheme on Tuesday.

But a more immediate concern for some workers is whether the scheme, which helps companies offset a portion of wage costs, is being abused. This was raised at a dialogue with minister in the prime minister's office and second minister for finance and transport, Lim Hwee Hua, on Sunday.

**** SDP Calls On Dr Teo To Stand With Bukit Panjang Residents <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2896-sdp-calls-on-dr-teo-to-stand-with-bukit-panjang-residents->
Singapore Democrats

Dr Teo must understand that he is a Member of Parliament, not the postal service. We are asking him to take a stand on the issue and not just convey the residents message to the HDB. He needs to state clearly his position on whether he supports the privatisation of the Fajar wet market.