[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 5 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Is Your iPhone 3.1 In Coma Mode? <http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/10/04/is-your-iphone-3-1-in-coma-mod/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Google AdSense Leaks Apple's Refreshed iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook? <http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/04/google-adsense-leaks-apples-refreshed-imac-mac-mini-macbook/>
Joseph L. Flatley, Engadget

Further confirming our suspicion that something more affordable may be on the horizon, Google AdSense this weekend started serving users in the Netherlands with ads for new iMacs, MacBooks, and Mac minis.

**** Apple Claims Woolies Is Getting Fresh With New Logo <http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo-20091004-ghxe.html>
Julian Lee, Sydney Morning Herald

Woolworths insists its new logo is a stylised W, or a piece of fresh produce; Apple thinks it is an apple, and the California-based technology company wants to stop Australia's largest retailer from using it.

**** Are You Addicted To Apple iPhone's Ubiquitous Apps? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Ftech%2Fproducts%2F2009-10-04-iphone-apps-addiction_N.htm&usg=AFQjCNGn0EpM9g05FT4Ajt5HqgT64ThW-g>
Mary Brophy Marcus, USA Today

Most people start their day with a cup of coffee, a shower, a good stretch. Beth Akins rolls over, grabs her iPhone and fires up Shake & Spell, her favorite iPhone app game.

**** 5 Cool Things To Sync With Dropbox On Your Mac <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/2Jz0k87URso/5-cool-things-to-sync-with-dropbox-on-your-mac.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Dropbox is great for syncing essential files over the Internet, but it's good for more than just your daily images and Word files.

**** O2 Sits On Fence About iPhone Unlocking <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstuff.tv%2Fnews%2FO2-sits-on-fence-about-iPhone-unlocking%2F13399%2F&usg=AFQjCNEvnbPf-rBzdMEYFxentrRpxfvu_Q>
Stuff.tv

**** 6 Everyday iPhone Disasters And How To Handle Them <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworld.com%2Fs%2Farticle%2F9138712%2F6_Everyday_iPhone_Disasters_and_How_to_Handle_Them%3FtaxonomyId%3D&usg=AFQjCNGJP53DChE20MJ20y9vsA0ivAcXpw>
Tom Kaneshige, Computerworld

Aaron Vronko, CEO of Rapid Repair, an iPod and iPhone repair shop, and one of the first technicians to take apart the iPhone 3GS and write a repair guide, has seen his fair share of reasons why broken iPhones need emergency surgery. Here are his six favorites, along with advice on how to triage the problems.

**** Flash 10.1 Leaves Apple Out In The Cold <http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/2009/10/flash-101-leaves-apple-out-in-the-cold/>
Chris Nuttall, Financial Times

There is still no agreement between Adobe and Apple over its Flash technology being allowed to boost the web browsing capabilities of the iPhone, but the same can’t be said for other devices from today.

**** Happy iPhone Customers Limit Their Love To Apple <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Farticle%2F173068%2Fhappy_iphone_customers_limit_their_love_to_apple.html&usg=AFQjCNGUTsDYNTlce3q3s1soxv8GuylWmw>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO.com

Everyone is supposed to love their iPhones, lest they be branded an Apple-hater. But Apple's comeuppance is at hand.

**** Hopes Fade Of An iPhone Price War <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbusiness.timesonline.co.uk%2Ftol%2Fbusiness%2Findustry_sectors%2Ftelecoms%2Farticle6861766.ece&usg=AFQjCNGN4eK7a0KhSNgHzhyz2rNYVDqLsQ>
Nic Fildes, The Times

Those customers that have been holding off buying an iPhone in the hope of a massive price cut look set to be disappointed.

**** Shuttling PC Data At The Speed Of Light <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=eb7476003419613ea0bba6fd643693a2>
Brooke Crothers, New York Times

There are a lot of reasons for going optical, the most obvious being speed: data can be delivered faster on optical cable than on current metal-based cables. Light Peak can carry data at 10 gigabits per second in both directions simultaneously, and Intel expects it will reach 100 gigabits per second in the next decade.

**** Can The Muppets Make Friends In Ramallah? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/magazine/04sesame-t.html?ref=magazine>
Samantha M. Shapiro, New York Times

The Palestinian territories have been a tough place to strike a balance between promoting “Sesame Street” values while portraying a realistic version of local life.

**** Hard Work, No Pay <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/opinion/04williams.html>
Jennifer Williams, New York Times

The worst thing was the feeling of uselessness — the fear that I was simply unskilled and unable to compete. Where had I miscalculated when I was planning out my life?

An unlikely solution finally pulled me out of my metaphorical shoebox wallpapered with résumés.

**** Lost Sonnet <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/10/12/091012po_poem_ashbery>
John Ashbery, New Yorker

**** The Paw Of A Cat <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/10/12/091012po_poem_ryan>
Kay Ryan, New Yorker

**** The Godchildren <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/10/12/091012fi_fiction_hadley>
Tessa Hadley, New Yorker

**** Thought Problem <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/10/12/091012po_poem_seshadri>
Vijay Seshadri, New Yorker

**** Wired To Wonder <http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/greatergood/2009september/Kashdan.php>
Todd Kashdan, Greater Good Magazine

Cutting-edge research from neuroscience suggests that while we may be natural born worriers, we're also wired for worry's neglected, underappreciated neural twin: curiosity. This research suggests that our curiosity and threat-detection systems have evolved over millennia, working together to ensure that we make optimal decisions in an unpredictable, uncertain world. As a result, we find intense, lasting fulfillment in seeking new knowledge, new experiences, and in embracing uncertainty. Choosing to explore the unknown rather than avoid it is key to a rich, meaningful life.

**** Poem Of The Week: John Donne's The Sun Rising <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/w511BIj32Ek/john-donne-the-sun-rising>
Carol Rumens, Guardian

Not for Donne a sad parting at dawn: here he places himself and his lover at the centre of the universe, with the sun as their servant. It's one of the most joyous love poems ever written.

**** Don't Scrap It, Phase It Out <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC091005-0000050/Dont-scrap-it,-phase-it-out>
Lin Yan Qin, Today

When the Jobs Credit scheme comes to an end, new programmes and initiatives will be needed to keep - and grow - jobs as Singapore faces a more competitive world in the upturn, said labour chief Lim Swee Say yesterday.

**** Population Growth May Add To Woes <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_438113.html>
Ong Siew Chey, Straits Times

Now we worry about our ageing population and the need to infuse young blood to sustain ourselves. But all young people eventually grow old. Will our problem be compounded then?

**** Where's The Benefit? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_438110.html>
Kwong Hui Hen, Straits Times

Ez-link has spared no effort to promote its new Cepas ez-link card. But I am not sure if convenience and lower cost to the consumer were what it had in mind.

**** Asian Textiles No Longer A Fading Industry <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dawn.com%2Fwps%2Fwcm%2Fconnect%2Fdawn-content-library%2Fdawn%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2F09-asian-textiles-no-longer-a-fading-industry--szh-09&usg=AFQjCNEbKh0amUkSJB2sM14fjQasnRThlw>
AFP

Asian textiles, once considered a fading industry, are now showing strong growth prospects thanks to technology and demand from expanding middle classes, a leading industry player said.

**** PM Lee: NS For Children Of PRs Will Scare Them Off <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/05/pm-lee-ns-for-children-of-prs-will-scare-them-off/>
The Temasek Review

**** The Ball Is Now In Our Court <http://www.todayonline.com/Comment/Mondayblues/EDC091005-0000026/The-ball-is-now-in-our-court>
Conrad Raj, Today

What is the Media Development Authority (MDA) doing about what appears to many as wasteful competition?

The question to this question: when is competition wasteful? Should we only have one insurance company, one supermarket/wet-market company, and one food court company?

**** 湿巴刹转为冷气超市未必是好事 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091005_004.shtml>
林叔献, 联合早报

**** Hossan Leong: Singapore’s Latter-day Court Jester <http://theasiafile.blogspot.com/2009/10/hossan-leong-singapores-latter-day.html>
Ben Bland, The Asia File

The political humour was interspersed by copious amounts of cross-dressing, stupid songs and all-round pantomime silliness. Thus any hard message behind the political humour was diluted and deliberately deprived of any semblance of legitimacy.

To put it another way, Leong is adopting the role played by court jesters in England during the Middle Ages.

**** 建屋局未接获昇菘申请 要改建五座湿巴刹 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091005_010.shtml>
联合早报

建屋局表示,任何向当局购买地产的业者,在转换用途时,例如从湿巴刹改成冷气超市,必须获得建屋局和市区重建局的批准。

**** 被限期一个月搬迁 摊主不满向议员求助 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091005_009.shtml>
林佩碧, 联合早报

一名摊主则指出,该湿巴刹其实是当年应居民的要求而开设,如今却因为业者的一个决定,导致巴刹的数十名摊主和助手们可能突然失业,以及给附近居民带来极大不便。他吁请建屋局重新考虑业者要求把湿巴刹转让给职总平价的申请,或延长搬迁期限3至6个月。

**** 许文远:是否保留湿巴刹应该由市场需求决定 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091005_008.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

主管三巴旺集选区的卫生部长许文远认为,是否要保留湿巴刹应该由市场需求来决定,要是需求不大,坚持将它们保留下来并不实际。

**** Are Local-born Singaporeans Becoming A Minority In Their Own Country? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/05/are-local-born-singaporeans-becoming-a-minority-in-their-own-country/>
The Temasek Review

Though the above calculation is only a simplistic model and cannot be used to predict population trends in the next decade, it does throw up the possibility that Singaporeans may become a minority in their own country like Dubai if the current influx of foreigners continues unabated.

**** Sunday Times Removed Article On Singapore PR Zhang Yuanyuan Taking Part In China National Day Parade <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/05/sunday-times-removed-article-on-singapore-pr-taking-part-in-prc-parade/>
The Temasek Review

The article which relates a Singapore PR by the name of Zhang Yuanyuan, who chose to return to Beijing and took part in China’s 60th National Day parade was still available in the morning of 4 October 2009 under the “Home” section, but by the afternoon, it was nowhere to be found.

**** 新加坡40%專科醫生來自馬‧林冠英遺憾政府不惜才 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/133023?tid=1>
星洲日報

檳州首席部長林冠英揭露他到新加坡招資引商時,驚訝發現新加坡的政府醫院約40%專科醫生來自大馬。

他贊揚新加坡愛才若渴,並打趣表示,若大馬能說服人才回流,新加坡將“垮台”。

**** State Media Uses Flawed Study To Create False Impression That Foreigners Are Welcomed In Singapore <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/10/05/state-media-uses-flawed-study-to-create-false-impression-that-foreigners-are-welcomed-in-singapore/>
The Temasek Review

The study is obviously flawed because of selection bias. Teenagers between the age of 13 and 18 have no experience in the real life and as such they do not encounter problems faced by working adults who need to compete with the newcomers.

**** If You Love Your Data, Set It Free (Free, Free, Set It Free) <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheSingaporeIphoneGuide/~3/Daq-E5_dUOU/if-you-love-your-data-set-it-free-free.html>
Jimmy Yap, iMerlion

So far, Singapore has done a great job in creating useful online government services, from tax filing to business registration. However, Singapore's government agencies can do more. They have lots of data that would be of immense use if it were easily available to consumers.

**** In Singapore Without A Dollar <http://meginsing.blogspot.com/2009/10/in-singapore-without-dollar.html>
An American girl in Singapore

Singapore, you people are way behind in modern forms of payment.

**** M1’s ‘Terrible’ Customer Retention Scheme <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2009/10/05/m1s-terrible-customer-retention-scheme/>
Ian On The Red Dot

When a customer’s contract has expired, I think the telcos should treat these customers as potential new customers instead of treating us as people who will always just stay around.

In a surprisingly shocking parallel, our government treats those they want to attract better than those they already have here.

**** Put Away The Camera And Video Recorder Please... <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091005-0000173/Online-Only---Put-away-the-camera-and-video-recorder-please,,,>
Yeo Kia Thye, Changi Airport Group, Today

Photography and video recording are not allowed at all immigration areas for security reasons. This is indicated on signs placed in front of each immigration counter.

**** HDB Flats Are Not "Affordable" - If You Are A Heartlander <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091005-0000180/Online-Only---HDB-flats-are-not-affordable---if-you-are-a-heartlander>
Joseph Khoo, Today

It is rather pointless for HDB's policy makers to keep using the term "affordable" when actual buyers are not the policy makers themselves but heartlands folks who really find it a challenge to "afford" a roof over their heads. While I love the word "affordability" used in the table as part of the article in "7000 on stream in next 3 months" (Oct 2), one key number missing is the actual number of years needed to pay off the flat loan. After working out the numbers, it sure doesn't look that affordable anymore!

**** Afforable? Check The Loan Period <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091005-0000198/Online-Only---Afforable?-Check-the-loan-period>
See Leong Kit, Today

The losses reported in HDB financial statements could well come from "transfer pricing" accounting between HDB, Singapore Land Authority and Ministry of Finance.

**** SDP Opposes Closure Of Wet Markets <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2869-sdp-opposes-closure-of-wet-markets>
Singapore Democrats

At a time where inflation is already outstripping wages, such a move is reprehensible. It will only lead to more difficulties for the people.

Singaporeans must put a stop to this hawking of the people's interests to the highest bidder. This has caused much hardship for the people as prices continue to escalate beyond our means.