[MyAppleMenu] Oct 3, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 3 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** VPN Tracker 6 Adds Secure Desktop <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=2fe5774ce5ce8b65b156f08441dcf991>
MacNN

**** RIM Posts BlackBerry Desktop Software For Mac <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=db769d319e18d4da129cad3d44e1120f>
MacNN

As promised earlier this week, Research in Motion has launched a dedicated Mac management tool, now rechristened the BlackBerry Desktop Software. The app goes beyond BlackBerry Media Sync in order to also sync contacts, calendars, tasks and notes with a BlackBerry smartphone.

**** Make It Even Easier To Add Media To iTunes <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d93ead6fd41557d46e66ef7b3436568d>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

While the new Tunes 9 feature that automatically adds media to iTunes is pretty easy to use already—just drop an iTunes-compatible media folder on the Automatically Add to iTunes folder in your iTunes folder, and you’re done. But in case you’re looking to make it even easier, here are a couple of hints that do just that.

**** Psystar Counsel Resigns From Defense Team In Apple Suit <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/02/psystar_counsel_resigns_from_defense_team_in_apple_suit.html>
AppleInsider

A California attorney representing Psystar in its defense against an Apple lawsuit withdrew himself from the case this week, according to new court documents.

**** Solving The Mystery Of Disk Utility's Failure To Erase USB Drives <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/tidbits_main/~3/OO4BjmmKbIA/10618>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** App Pulled By Apple Thanks To Supposedly Spammy Phone Calls <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Fapple%2Fnews%2F2009%2F10%2Fapp-pulled-by-apple-thanks-to-supposedly-spammy-phone-calls.ars&usg=AFQjCNFwrgng-6YvUl-LuijoYzrzOxxqvA>
Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

A company has supposedly been calling some iPhone users trying to sell them software. The problem? The company is getting users' phone numbers from an application that was available on the App Store.

**** Preserve Wet Markets But Make Them Cleaner And Less Wet <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_437315.html>
Jack Chew, Straits Times

**** Don't Let Wet Markets Become History <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_437318.html>
Ong Soek Peng, Straits Times

While I can buy fresh produce like fish, meat and vegetables in the cool comfort of supermarkets, I prefer to buy them from the wet market near my home. This is because I feel I must support small businesses, and I find I can build relationships with the wet market vendors. They are always willing to go the extra mile for a customer, be it in offering advice or reserving a special product one might need.

We should also not eliminate choices -- especially budget choices -- from our marketplace artificially. HDB should learn from its mistake to stop building 3-room flats.

**** EPL Telecast Winners And Losers <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_437316.html>
Jason Chiam, Straits Times

Only in 'uniquely Singapore' does free market competition not lead to lowering of prices for consumers.

That's a myth. Competition drives prices to fair and competitive level. A price war, on the other hand, kills off everybody. Remember the great MediaCorp-SPH Media Works price war of the early 2000s?