[MyAppleMenu] Nov 20, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 20 18:59:02 EST 2009

**** Apple's Mistake <http://paulgraham.com/apple.html>
Paul Graham

I don't think Apple realizes how badly the App Store approval process is broken. Or rather, I don't think they realize how much it matters that it's broken.

**** Boot Camp Drivers Update 2.2 For Windows Available <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/19/boot-camp-drivers-update-2-2-for-windows-available/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** Apple: 'Enterprise' Is As Enterprise Does <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10401845-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Matt Asay, CNET News

"Enterprise" is defined by the company you keep.

**** Apple's App Store Review Irking Developers <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10400597-62.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Dave Rosenberg, CNET News

I received a note from Andy Gilbertson, one of the developers behind Parallel Kingdom, a location-based mobile massively multiplayer (or MMO) game that uses your GPS location to place you in a virtual world atop the real world. The game seems like an obvious winner for the iPhone, but the team has been struggling to get it past Apple's app review policies.

**** Cut The Drama: Private APIs, The App Store & You <http://theappleblog.com/2009/11/19/cut-the-drama-people-private-apis-the-app-store-you/>
Andrew Bednarz, The Apple Blog

**** Buyer's Guide: 33 Things You Don't Need If You Have An iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/19/buyer-s-guide-33-things-you-don-t-need-if-you-have-an-iphone/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

Thanks to the apps that come pre-packaged with the iPhone and the more than 100,000 third-party offerings now available in the iTunes Store, the iPhone has gained functionality that might have seemed hard to fathom under three years ago when Steve Jobs first announced the device.

**** Hack Brings 10.6.2 Back To Atom Processors <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=dccb8d08770f081e46ecbe6cd020c5d8>
Jeff Porten, Macworld

Netbook hackers take note: this is not a point-and-click operation; you'll need to roll up your Terminal sleeves for a few simple steps here. And, of course, replace the kernel of your operating system—the fundamental code that underlies everything else in Mac OS X—with a file you've downloaded from the Internet.

**** iPhone Developer: Why I'm Not Making Apps For Android Or Palm (Yet) <http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-developer-why-im-not-making-apps-for-android-or-palm-yet-2009-11>
Dan Frommer, The Business Insider

**** Why The iPhone Makes You Feel Smarter <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=9553&tag=content;col1>
Andrew Nusca, ZDNet

MAYA Design’s Mickey McManus says products should be so intuitive that a customer feels silly explaining to another how it works. And by silly, I mean smug — as in, “Isn’t it obvious?”

**** A Finder-Copying Bug In Snow Leopard, Part 2 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10772?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

By comparing two very similar applications, one of which is troublesome and the other not, even though they have almost identical internal structures, I have discovered that the answer involves Unix permissions on symlinks inside the bundle.

**** Big Fish Games Releases Drawn: The Painted Tower For Mac <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/11/19/new.puzzle.adventure.game/>
MacNN

Big Fish Games has released Drawn: The Painted Tower, a new puzzle-adventure game for the Mac.

**** Review: IScrapbook 2.1 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=36a08791fbab78269af9af993120dd1e>
Katherine Murray, Macworld

If you plan to put any real energy into your scrapbooking projects, I recommend iScrapbook 2.1.2 for its ease of use, flexible but powerful toolset, easy-to-customize templates, and add-on iScrapKits that let you expand your creative efforts at your own pace.

**** Smartphones' Ecosystem Dilemma <http://blogs.reuters.com/commentaries/2009/11/20/the-ecosystem-dilemma/>
Lance Knobel, Reuters

What Apple has done so successfully is build a thriving ecosystem around its product.

**** Review: Curio Professional 6 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=2436668a85999082454cb4db74db2511>
Stuart Gripman, Macworld

Curio is an ambitious product with much to offer. For users who do moderate amounts of drawing, outlining, mind mapping, note taking, project management, or presenting, Curio can be an excellent value. Students in particular will find it appealing. Those with professional grade requirements will still have to shell out for dedicated applications.

**** Google's Chrome OS: An Appliance, Not A PC <http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/googles-chrome-os-appliance-not-pc-233?source=rss_infoworld_news>
Neil McAllister, Infoworld

Chrome OS is Google's latest attempt to further its concept of browser-based computing, in which the traditional PC desktop is deemphasized in favor of a completely Web-based experience.

**** Never Mind The Bad Sex Award – Where's The Good Sex In Fiction? <http://feeds.guardian.co.uk/~r/theguardian/books/rss/~3/F46ryb2Nvjo/bad-sex-award-good-sex-fiction>
Sarah Duncan, The Guardian

As someone who works hard to get it right in my own novels, I'm very aware of just how difficult it is to depict well.

**** How Will Religion Evolve? <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=9310cd9b5a2eb694e6e691f8c0941418>
John Tierney, New York Times

Does religion have a future? Who looks more like an evolutionary dead end: the religious American or the agnostic European? Or will both give way to some sort of compromise — people bound by new institutions that provide the social benefits of religion without belief in a traditional deity?

**** Ben-Hur: The Book That Shook the World <http://www.neh.gov/news/humanities/2009-11/BenHur.html>
Amy Lifson, Humanities

Since its first publication, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ has never been out of print. It outsold every book except the Bible until Gone With the Wind came out in 1936, and resurged to the top of the list again in the 1960s. By 1900 it had been printed in thirty-six English-language editions and translated into twenty others, including Indonesian and Braille.

**** Sports Hub Still Has Financing Concerns <http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20091116-180282.html>
Leonard Lim, Straits Times

The troubled Sports Hub is still facing difficulties and the expected construction date could possibly be pushed back further to 2014. It is understood that the preferred bidder for the $1.87 billion project, the Singapore Sports Hub Consortium, has yet to raise the money necessary for construction to begin at the site of the National Stadium.

**** End The Delay And Start Building <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_456704.html>
Chew Chee Meng, Straits Times

It is unfair to the two unsuccessful bidders as the reason appears to be the Singapore Sports Hub consortium's failure to secure a bank loan to finance the project.

**** The Fasincating Question Of What The Voters Prefer In A Walkover Ward <http://kelvinteowrites.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/the-fasincating-question-of-what-the-voters-prefer-in-a-walkover-ward/>
Kelvin Teo Writes

**** 鼓励高风险群检验爱之病 保健局运动反应不佳 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091120_021.shtml>
杨萌, 联合早报

保健促进局9月首次举办了鼓励高风险人群进行爱之病检验的运动,但运动相当低调,使得到各匿名诊所检验的人数跟往常差不多。

**** 对学习华文我们永不言败 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091120_002.shtml>
林如兴, 联合早报

推动并学习一种语文,不是一朝一夕就能成功的,其中难免经历各种酸甜苦辣。万事起头难,学习语文的初步奠基阶段更是非得有决心和下苦功不可,没有意志坚定的心志是无法完成的。

**** 我国华文教育失败的症结 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091120_001.shtml>
王昌伟, 联合早报

我们的双语政策的确是走错了方向,但我认为问题并不出在我们高估了学生同时掌握双语的能力,而恰恰是我们在华文的学习方面,太过“纵容”学生,太过为他们“着想”。

**** Bold Changes To Beat Crunch <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_456885.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Singapore could face a transport crunch between now and 2020 if bold changes are not made to bus and taxi services.

Transport GPC chief Lim Wee Kiak said the country cannot afford to wait until all $40 billion worth of new rail projects - which will double the network to 280km by 2020 - are up and running.

**** It's Flooding! With Floating Freezers And Garbage Bins <http://keropokman.blogspot.com/2009/11/its-flooding-with-floating-freezers-and.html>
The Keropok

Look! Floating garbage bins! That's not the only one floating. We saw quite a few floating by...

**** Singapore Minister: Many Airlines Still Face Margin Pressure <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125868668589556965.html>
P.R. Venkat, Wall Street Journal

Singapore's second minister for finance and transport Lim Hwee Hua on Friday said that many airlines were still suffering from sharp declines in yields and profitability and the industry faces a second round of threat from rising oil prices and worries of a second wave of the H1N1 strain of influenza this winter season.

**** Lee Kuan Yew And Bilingualism <http://rot.blogsome.com/2009/11/18/lee-kuan-yew-and-bilingualism/>
The Rot Within

**** PM Lee Confident Buddhist Community Will Help Keep Society Harmonious <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1019438/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said he is confident the Buddhist community here will help maintain a harmonious, cohesive and compassionate society in Singapore. Speaking at the opening of the Singapore Buddhist Federation's building on Friday morning, he noted that Buddhists form one of the largest religious groups here, and they contribute to the general mood of tolerance and understanding in society.

**** Hospitals Need Better Design <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_456933.html>
April Chong, Straits Times

While hospitals here already give a high standard of care, more can be done to improve the overall experiences and well-being of patients, said the DesignSingapore International Advisory Panel.

**** Mah’s Explanation Does Not Square With HDB’s Annual Report <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/11/mahs-explanation-does-not-square-with-hdbs-annual-report/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** CASE, NTUC Income Sued By 2 Private Schools For Some S$10m <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1019516/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Stansfield College and the Singapore Institute of Commerce, both owned by Mr Kannappan Chettiar are claiming CASE wrongfully suspended the schools from an accreditation scheme.