[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 31 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Extends Old MacBook Pro Graphics Warranty To Three Years <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/30/apple_extends_old_macbook_pro_graphics_warranty_to_three_years.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Illustrating the scope of a flaw in older NVIDIA graphics chipsets, Apple has extended its special warranty on the GeForce 8600M GT in certain MacBook Pros from two to three years.

**** Shooting To Software Stardom On The iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/business/31digi.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Randall Stross, New York Times

“Apple doesn’t want the money. It’s a level playing field,” said Matt Murphy, a venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. If Apple likes the app, he added, “it doesn’t matter if you’re a one-person or a 10,000-person company; they’ll put it in ‘New’ or ‘What’s Hot.’ ”

**** Mophie Juice Pack Air <http://www.electronista.com/reviews/mophie-juice-pack-air.html>
by Jon Fingas, Electronista

**** Apple Now Charging To Re-Download Aps On The iPhone? <http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/05/31/apple-charging-redownload-apps-iphone/>
by Rene Ritchie, The iPhone Blog

Looks like Apple’s begun charging full price if you try to download an app you’ve already bought over the iPhone. This did not used to be the case — previously you’d be given a dialog stating you’d already bought it and you could go ahead and re-download it for free. Now the dialog says you can still re-download it for free on your computer (via iTunes), but if you want to download it again directly to your iPhone, you’ve got to buy it again.

**** Science Fiction's Vital Contribution To The Life Of English <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/may/28/science-fiction-vital-english>
by Sam Jordison, The Guardian

If you measure the health of literature by its impact on language, than there's no genre in better condition than SF.

**** The Commander In Chef <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/opinion/31hesser.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Amanda Hesser, New York Times

Because terrific local ingredients aren’t much use if people are cooking less and less; cooking is to gardening what parenting is to childbirth.

**** The Demise Of 'Form Follows Function' <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/arts/01iht-DESIGN1.html>
by Alice Rawsthorn, New York Times

If there was a (booby) prize for the most misused design cliché, a firm favorite would be “form follows function,” with “less is more” coming a close second.

**** Secrets In The Checkout Line <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/22/AR2009052201304.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Rachel Manteuffel, Washington Post

I thought we were friends, until his revelation raised uncomfortable questions.

**** Gay Nuptials: Suing, Voting And Feasting <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1033.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

A future in which most developed countries legally recognise gay marriages is now within sight. How Singapore can remain attractive to talent when we are so out of sync with our major trading partners does not seem to have exercised the brains of the ostriches in the sand that are our government. Nor how we can persuade emigré Singaporeans to return if they have married their same-sex partners under the law in Western countries – it's already happening, in case you don't know.

**** Contraception: Singapore Style <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203618,00.html?>
by Ng Wan Ching, New Paper

Amid all the buzz about sexual education programmes in schools and what is appropriate to be taught, a study has found 'worrying' gaps in the knowledge of even post-secondary students.

**** Made-To-Order Playmaids <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/5/30/columnists/insightdownsouth/4001656&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

No contract, no marriage, no legal complications. The woman just moves in as part-time mistress and home minder.

**** Where Is STTA's "Fairness And Dignity" WHen Its President Made Damaging Remarks About Liu Without Substantiating It? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9985>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** No Hurry To Return <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_384013.html>
by Valerie Chia, Straits Times

Former head coach Guodong aims to focus on job and the birth of his first child.

**** Health Ministry Confirms Fifth Case Of H1N1 In Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/432899/1/.html>
by Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia

**** SAF Can Continue To Train At Shoalwater Bay Till 2019 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/432939/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The agreement was renewed and signed by the defence ministers of Singapore and Australia on Sunday.