[MyAppleMenu] May 29, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 29 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Releases iWork '09 9.0.2 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/140843/2009/05/iwork_update.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

The release notes say that iWork 9.0.2 improves reliability when saving some iWork documents, and also when playing some presentations more than once during a single Keynote session.

**** How To Reformat A New External Hard Disk <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10307>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS

Reformat a new external hard disk? You wouldn't think this would constitute any challenge, would you? You start up Disk Utility, you select the external disk, you switch to the Erase panel, and you take a deep breath and click Erase, right? Wrong.

**** What's In Store For iPhone App Developers? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/28/apple-iphone-app-developers>
by Paul Brown, The Guardian

Whether you've got the skill to build a killer app, or just the idea for one, firms are fighting for the chance to get it into the App Store.

**** New Yorker iPhone Cover Lifts Sales For Brushes App <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/new-yorker-iphone-cover-boosts-sales-for-brushes-app/>
by Jenna Wortham, New York Times

Artist Jorge Colombo may have drawn the dreamy, nocturnal cityscape of Manhattan on the June 1 cover, using his iPhone, but a software engineer named Steve Sprang built Brushes, the iPhone application that transformed Mr. Columbo’s swipes into digital strokes.

**** Leaf Trombone: World Stage For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140787/2009/05/leaftrombone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jon Brandon, Macworld

Leaf Trombone is insanely addictive once you feel the lure of the World Stage and really want to compete note for note with other players. Sure, Leaf Trombone is hard and not perfectly stable, but it’s one of those games that uses an iPhone in a creative, compelling way.

**** Exercise Diligence <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383259.html>
by Straits Times

Members of Parliament were reminded on Friday to exercise due diligence when using unverified reports and to refrain from repeating unsubstantiated allegations in their speeches.

While they are entitled to be forthright and forceful, they should not abuse the parliamentary privilege and immunity they are being accorded and must remain accountable, said Mr Mah Bow Tan, leader of the house and government whip.

**** Behind The iPhone-Created New Yorker Cover <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10250989-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Lance Whitney, CNET

**** Relaunch Creates Launchable Application Sets <http://www.macworld.com/article/140401/2009/05/realunch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Deborah Shadovitz, Macworld

If you juggle work all day and find yourself switching from one set of apps to another, you can appreciate Relaunch.

**** Zero Panic Migration To A New Mac, Part 1 <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/zero_panic_migration_to_a_new_mac_part_i/>
by John Martellaro, The Mac Observer

**** Virtual Apps Drift Into The Cloud <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22719/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review

Software developed by rPath makes it easier to port applications to the cloud.

**** Gmail In Real-Time: Google Does The Wave <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10250742-2.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

Google is ready to start talking about its answer to demand for real-time--yet organized--Internet communication.

**** Loves Me, Love Me Not (Do The Math) <http://judson.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/guest-column-loves-me-loves-me-not-do-the-math/>
by Steven Strogatz, New York Times

Although these examples are whimsical, the equations that arise in them are of the far-reaching kind known as differential equations. They represent the most powerful tool humanity has ever created for making sense of the material world.

**** <i>Late Night With Jimmy Fallon</i> Is Out Of Beta <http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/magazine/17-06/ff_fallon>
by Brian Raftery, Wired

On a Friday afternoon in mid-March Jimmy Fallon stands on the stage of NBC's Studio 6B fine-tuning tonight's monologue. Twenty or so Rockefeller Center tourists are quietly ushered in to watch the host of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tell one joke after another, each scrawled on a scrap of paper. If the gag works and the audience laughs, it stays in the pile and makes it on-air; if it stiffs, Fallon drops the paper to the floor, where it's presumably swept up and FedExed to Carson Daly.

**** Free Market Faith <http://newhumanist.org.uk/2042>
by Caspar Melville, New Humanist

Globalisation is leading to more belief, not less.

**** Singapore Supports Initatives Against Indiscriminate Use Of Anti-Personnel Mines <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/432437/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore supports initiatives against the indiscriminate use of anti-personnel mines, especially when they are used against innocent civilians. Deputy prime minister and defence minister Teo Chee Hean told Parliament that Singapore maintains the right to use anti-personnel mines for self-defence.

**** A Mockery Of Parliament - Appointed MPs, Loser MPs, Walkover MPs... <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/a-mockery-of-parliament-–-appointed-mps-loser-mps-walkover-mps…/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Parliament being filled with a majority of un-elected members is a joke. Pure and simple, no matter what rhetoric the prime minister uses in trying to convince one and all to accept these changes.

**** Beware Of Greeks Bearing Gifts <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2009/05/beware-of-greeks-bearing-gifts.html>
by Yaw Shin Leong

**** Just Make Elections Free And Fair, No Need For Wayang <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2417-just-make-elections-free-and-fair-no-need-for-wayang>
by Singapore Democrats

Parliament, if the PAP needs to be reminded, is not a feedback session to canvas for a “wider range” of views. It is an institution where laws are made and where the Executive is called to account for its actions and policies.

There is no need to conduct this wayang exercise with the NCMP and NMP systems. Do the right thing by ensuring that the electoral process is transparent, free and fair.

**** Tweaking The NCMP Scheme <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/changing-the-ncmp-scheme/>
by Groundnotes

**** More Tweaks To The Political System... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/05/more-tweaks-to-political-system.html>
by Diary Of A Singaproean Mind

Our forefathers fought for Singapore to be freed from the shackles of colonialism and for us to be able to run this country for our own interests instead of those of our colonial masters. Two generations later we find ourselves struggling again to restore democracy and bring about a government that works for our interests instead of its own.

**** Why It Is More Important To Have 29 Elected Opposition MPs Than 20 NCMPs <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9931>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

Singaporeans must know and understand the crucial differences between an elected opposition MP and a NCMP and the implications behind them.

**** The Fallacy Of "Growth At All Costs" (Part our) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/the-fallacy-of-“growth-at-all-costs”-part-four/>
by Rajiv Chaudhry, The Online Citizen

**** Licence For Temp Operators <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_382923.html>
by Melissa Sim, Straits Times

>From June 1, all operators of temporary markets or food centres will be licensed and held liable for hygiene lapses at the places, a move prompted by the Indian rojak poisoning cases last month.

**** Yaacob Admits "Lapse" By NEA Without Apology: An Example Of Zero Accountability In A "Strong" Government <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9940>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

NEA’s CEO Andrew Tan should be sacked or asked to resign and the entire temporary market committee be charged in court for neligience. Dr Yaacob must apologize to Singaporeans for the mistake. This is the minimum we expect from a first world government.

**** Victims Of Reverse Tactical Ploy Or Party Political Opportunists? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/victims-of-reverse-tactical-ploy-or-party-political-opportunists/>
by Khairulanwar Zaini, The Online Citizen

Not just WP but all opposition parties should see that the latest move by the PAP is a reverse tactical ploy which will help the PAP retain the upper hand in the next elections.

**** Unfair To COmpare Disparity In Fines <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203431,00.html?>
by Andre Yeo, New Paper

**** Change To Social Services <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383160.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

Dr Vivian Balakrishnan wants to change the structure of social services to be more ground up, so that the people in charge 'are truly the voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs) on the ground'.

**** Singapore Rebel And One Nation Under Lee Resubmitted <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2009/05/spore-rebel-and-one-nation-under-lee.html>
by Only "Objective" And "Factual" Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Call To Suspend Myanmar <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383163.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Mr Charles Chong (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) and Mr Inderjit Singh (Ang Mo Kio GRC) argued that having Myanmar as a member would dent the credibility of Asean in the eyes of the world. Replying, senior minister of state for foreign affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed defended Asean's preference to engage Myanmar rather than isolate it.

**** Speeches 'Should Be Free' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383164.html>
by Clarissa Oon, Straits Times

Baey Yam Keng says this will allow Singaporeans to be plugged in fully to the debates.

**** Settle Fairly, Move On <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383243.html>
by Straits Times

The parties embroiled in the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) dispute over the nomination process for the Coach of the Year Award should settle the matter 'in a dignified and fair manner', minister for community development, youth and sports urged on Friday

**** Amnesty International's 2008 Report On Singapore <http://seelanpalay.blogspot.com/2009/05/amnesty-internationals-2008-report-on.html>
by Seelan Palay's Blog

**** 刘国栋谈和新加坡乒总纠纷:我要的是一男人的尊严 <http://sports.dzwww.com/zhty/qljj/200905/t20090529_4685889.htm>
by 新浪体育

针对新加坡乒乓总会和刘国栋之间的争议,前新加坡国家乒乓球队主教练刘国栋告诉中国媒体,他要的是“一个男人的尊严”。

**** MOH To Study H1N1 Bug And Fine-Tune Flu Control Measures <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/432634/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

**** Temasek Considers Offer For Chartered Stake <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124358220281165909.html#mod=rss_whats_news_us_business>
by Costas Paris and Se Young Lee, Wall Street Journal

Singapore state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. is considering an offer for its entire stake in Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd. for about 2.35 billion Singapore dollars (US$1.62 billion), two people familiar with the situation said.