[MyAppleMenu] May 20, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 20 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Applicaton Wizard Makes Program Switching Easy <http://www.macworld.com/article/140504/2009/05/applicationwizard.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

If you find yourself wishing the Finder had a little more power for working with applications, Application Wizard may be just what you need.

**** Organize Pages' Customized Templates <http://www.macworld.com/article/140680/2009/05/pagesfolders.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Eight iPhone Apps And Services For System Admins <http://www.macworld.com/article/140681/2009/05/sysadminiphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John C. Welch, Macworld

Since its release, I've been on an iPhone, and since the introduction of the App Store, my iPhone has gone from merely handy to a really useful tool. So, in no particular order, here are the things I use to make my sysadmin life easier.

**** Are Those Anti-Apple Microsoft Ads Actually Working? <http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20090519/are-those-anti-apple-microsoft-ads-actually-working/>
by Peter Kafka, Wall Street Journal

The real test, of course will be actual sales data, and we won’t see anything resembling official numbers for this period until several months from now.

**** Apple The Storekeeper <http://counternotions.com/2009/05/19/storekeeper/>
by CounterNotions

Combined with the Push Notification service, Apple’s In App Purchase gives the company a level of visibility into customer behavior, purchase patterns, social networks and dynamics of mobile marketplace that’s unprecedented in the technology business.

Should Amazon worry?

**** Apple's iPhone Takes Slow Boat To China <http://blogs.reuters.com/summits/2009/05/19/apples-iphone-takes-slow-boat-to-china/>
by Eddie Chan, Reuters

Apple may be underestimating the Chinese government’s tendency to want to control content — especially mass consumer content — and its distribution.

**** Amazon Updates The Kindle App To Be MOre iPhone-ified <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/20/amazon-updates-the-kindle-app-to-be-more-iphone-ified/>
by MG Siegler, TechCrunch

**** Trivial Pursuit For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140689/2009/05/trivialpursuit.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Omaha Sternberg, Macworld

**** Yahoo Wants To Objectify Search <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10244981-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

Yahoo's future vision of search revolves around structured data.

**** In Defense Of Distraction <http://nymag.com/news/features/56793/>
by Sam Anderson, New York Magazine

Twitter, Adderall, lifehacking, mindful jogging, power browsing, Obama’s BlackBerry, and the benefits of overstimulation.

**** The Hard Sell: How Mad Men Spin The Recession <http://www.motherjones.com/media/2009/05/hard-sell-how-mad-men-spin-recession>
by Ted Genoways, Mother Jones

The real challenge—the art, even—of recession marketing is perfecting a pitch that doesn't emphasize your hunger for your cash-conscious buyers' cash.

**** No Lay-Ups In Singapore Port <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_378941.html>
by Elizabeth Wilmot, Straits Times

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) has asserted that there are no lay-ups in local port waters, in response to The New York Times (NYT) claiming that there are 735 ships idling just outside our port.

**** Influenza A: Tourist Resorts In Johor Feel Bite Over Scare <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/2560522/Article/index_html>
by Satiman Jamin, New Straits Times

The legendary Gunung Ledang, which is a favourite attraction among Singapore students every school holidays, is likely to receive no student from the republic for the two-week break next month.

**** It's Time For Change <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/320887.asp>
by Isabel Vadivu Govind, Today

Concerns about transporting workers in the backs of lorries have been raised. I understand that the Land Transport Authorities said in March last year that it was setting up a work group with the Ministry of Manpower to review this. More than a year and about 200 injuries and six deaths later, things do not seem to have changed.

**** Wheelchair-Bound Patients At Food Courts <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/320876.asp>
by Michael Loh Toon Seng, Today

Why are patients in wheelchairs allowed to leave their wards to mingle with the public in hospital food courts?

WTF? Broke one leg, and you must be isolated?

**** 刘国栋新加坡乒总恩怨情仇 奥运奖牌竟换来人格差 <http://pingpang.other.titan24.com/09-05-19/223108.html>
by 王震, 体坛网

刘国栋对于乒总的做法表示了强烈的不满,甚至表示要与新加坡乒总会长李美花当面对质。对于刘国栋的这种遭遇,不少新加坡奥委会的部分成员也纷纷表示了同情。

**** Singapore Style Inspires <http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=82346&sid=23920183&con_type=1>
by The Standard

This blend of past and present has its greatest impact on seeing how the two buildings connect.

**** 咖啡店廁所外牆裝魚缸‧欣賞魚兒能看女廁風光 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/114837?tid=2>
by 星洲日報

**** 被长期对手香港以微差赶上 我世界竞争力排名跌至第三 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090520_522.shtml>
by 邓莉蓉, 联合早报

新加坡在最新出炉的世界竞争力排名中,被长期经济竞争对手香港以微差赶超,从排名第二滑落至第三。

**** Singapore Airlines Face-Off With Travel Agents Set To Continue <http://www.livemint.com/2009/05/20002751/Singapore-Airlines-faceoff-wi.html?h=B>
by P.R. Sanjai, Wall Street Journal

The managing committee of the Travel Agents Association of India (Taai) on Tuesday rejected a productivity-linked bonus offer by Singapore Airlines, continuing a stand-off between the airline and travel agents that is approaching its fifth month.

**** Singapore's Lesson: Buy High, Sell Low <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1880&Itemid=233>
by Asia Sentinel

Quite how badly Temasek has done is hard to figure out because the data presented is scanty and unconsolidated. For example, in 2007-08 the value of its portfolio increased by 13 percent to S$185 billion but it is unsure how much of that was simply a capital injection from the government. There are also black holes like its subsidiary Astrea, which borrowed US$810 million in earlier in the decade to invest in a portfolio of private equity and buyout funds. Another fall for Wall Street fashion which will likely be reflected in pensions for Singaporeans.

If nothing else, the record of Temasek gives the lie to notion spread by Singapore's ruling clique that they are the best guardians of the people's savings. Paternalism morphed into an arrogance whose full cost to Singaporeans is for now hidden by the opaque nature of the government's accounts, and the very partial revelations provided by Temasek. Singaporeans, gather your purse-strings and, together, pull.

**** 29 July 1987: Chiam's Finest Hour (Part 1) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/29-july-1987-chiam’s-finest-hour-part-1/>
by The Online Citizen

**** The Marxist Conspiracy - Not Forgetting The Evil Things That Have Already Been Done! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/the-marxist-conspiracy-not-forgetting-the-evil-things-that-have-already-been-done/>
by Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

Whatever the real reason, the arrests and detention without trial of the ‘Marxist Conspirators’ repressed an entire generation of young Singaporeans from involvement in any activity that could be termed “political”.

**** Lest We Forget... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/05/lest-we-forget.html>
by Diary Of A Singaproean Mind

There is no reason for the PAP govt to keep the ISA as it is except to be able to use it again to preserve its own power.

**** Cornoer's Inquiry Into Indonesian Student's Death Kicks Off <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/430570/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

**** President Nathan's Amazing Silence On Temasek's Disastrous Loss <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9514>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

Something must be really wrong in a country when the supposedly head of state gave a speech in Parliament completely oblivious to its financial health.