[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 18 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Thanks To Hundreds Of Sometimes Free Programs, Your Mobile Phones Just Got A Whole Lot Handier <http://www.kansascity.com/living/home/story/1193619.html>
by Stacy Downs, The Kansas City Star

Thanks to mobile phone applications, you can lighten the load around your tool-belt toting hips. That’s because now there’s an application — or app as it’s commonly called — for a multitude of household devices. So far there isn’t one that turns a phone into a hammer, but we predict that’s next.

**** App Review: Twittelator Pro Twitter Client For iPhone <http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/05/17/app-review-twittelator-pro-twitter-client-iphone/>
by Leanna Lofte, The iPhone Blog

It is beautifully designed and feature packed to make your mobile twitter experience quick and enjoyable.

**** Understanding Apple, Part 2 <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347165,00.asp>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine

The iPhone is cool, and MacBooks are neat, but Apple's real genius lies in its software architecture, where the Mac magic lives. And that tells us a lot about future products.

**** Why Apple Succeeds, And Always Will <http://www.joewilcox.com/2009/05/why-apple-succeeds-and-always-will.html>
by Joe Wilcox

Simply put: Apple doesn't play by the rules. It reinvents them.

**** The Global Food Crisis <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/cheap-food/bourne-text>
by Joel K. Bourne Jr, National Geographic

It is the simplest, most natural of acts, akin to breathing and walking upright. We sit down at the dinner table, pick up a fork, and take a juicy bite, obliv ious to the double helping of global ramifications on our plate. Our beef comes from Iowa, fed by Nebraska corn. Our grapes come from Chile, our bananas from Honduras, our olive oil from Sicily, our apple juice—not from Washington State but all the way from China. Modern society has relieved us of the burden of growing, harvesting, even preparing our daily bread, in exchange for the burden of simply paying for it. Only when prices rise do we take notice. And the consequences of our inattention are profound.

**** The Evolutionary Argument For Dr. Seuss <http://www.salon.com/books/review/2009/05/18/evocriticism/index.html>
by Laura Miller, Salon

Why do we often care more about imaginary characters than real people? A new book suggests that fiction is crucial to our survival as a species.

**** AVA's Apartment <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/05/25/090525fi_fiction_lethem>
by Jonathan Lethem, The New Yorker

**** 1934 <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/05/25/090525po_poem_levine>
by Philip Levine, The New Yorker

**** Hummingbird <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/05/25/090525po_poem_gibb>
by Robert Gibb, The New Yorker

**** There Are No Winners In Coach Of The Year Spat <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,202315,00.html?>
by Tan Mae Lynn, New Paper

Where's the professionalism in STTA as an employer and as a national sports association?

**** Singapore Gays In First Public Rally <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8054402.stm>
by Sharanjit Leyl, BBC News

The city-state still has a ban on homosexual sex that has been in force since its colonial days under the British even though many countries in the region, and the UK itself, have repealed the law.

Mr Ivan Heng, Singaporean actor and producer, acknowledges that it is a "strange anomaly" that gay Singaporeans are being allowed by the government to live their lives but still be "criminal under the law".

**** The Coming Out Of Singapore: Thank You PinkDot <http://saltwetfish.wordpress.com/2009/05/17/thank-you-pinkdot/>
by Salt Wet Fish

This is what we have been talking about in coming out. Visibility. Only when you know that you have the same right to exists and be, will others see you as who you are, instead of unknown strange monsters in their mind.

**** 司机要敬畏斑马线 <http://news.sina.com.cn/o/2009-05-18/040215639774s.shtml>
by 华碧, 广州日报

本人顿生感触:“老虎”变“绵羊”不难,学学新加坡司机即可。

**** Singapore Third In Empowering Women <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/429959/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The Global Summit of Women held in Santiago, Chile voted Singapore third in terms of policies on empowering women in society. Singapore was lauded for helping women achieve work-life balance based on impact, innovation and policy sustainability.

**** Passion For Activism Extiguished... But Not For Long <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/passion-for-activism-extinguished…but-not-for-long/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen

Mr Tan Tee Seng was 28 years old when he was detained, along with 21 others.

**** High Integrity Electoral System <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_378271.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

The ability to inspect every step of voting and vote-counting was the reason Singapore still did everything manually, and was not switching to electronic voting systems, Teo Chee Hean said.

**** Burma Silence Shows ASEAN Is 'Impotent' <http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25496467-23109,00.html>
by Danny Kemp, Daily Telegraph

Burma's Southeast Asian neighbours have stayed largely silent over the trial of opposition icon Aung San Suu Kyi, in a fresh display of the bloc's impotence as a diplomatic force, observers say.

**** MDA Misses The Mark At UnConference 2009 <http://www.youngupstarts.com/2009/05/18/mda-misses-the-mark-at-unconference-2009/>
by Young Upstarts

UnConference 2009 presented a perfect opportunity for MDA IDM R&D Programme Office to stand up and be a thought leader in the local startup community. It didn’t. All the more’s the pity.

**** 林瑞生:要工友拿无薪假 管理层应带头更早更大幅减薪 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090518_510.shtml>
by 陈能端, 联合早报

政府愿意支持尚未见到生意好转的企业更灵活地实行无薪假期制,但企业管理层应该带头更早、更大幅度地减薪,以维持与员工之间的信任。总理公署部长兼职总秘书长林瑞生昨天为“波纳维斯达OK”计划主持推介仪式时,针对管理人手过剩指导原则进行修订一事发表看法。

**** 联合声明与协议不符 刘国栋指责乒总虚假 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090518_503.shtml>
by 吴秀金, 联合早报

以英文草拟的联合声明与协议不符,我国国家乒乓球队前总教练刘国栋指责新加坡乒乓总会态度虚假。

**** More Flexibility For Bosses But What Is There For Employees? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/more-flexibility-for-bosses-but-what-is-there-for-employees/>
by Gilbert Goh, Transitioning - Unemployment Support Services, The Online Citizen

As the global economy turns uncertain and every economic recovery cycle gets shorter, our government may be wise to look at how the retrenched and unemployed workers can be effectively assisted during down time.

**** Singapore's Times Are Finally Changing <http://www.tribunemagazine.co.uk/2009/05/18/singapore’s-times-are-finally-changing/>
by Roderick Clyne, Tribune

Singapore’s government is only just waking up to the idea that this lack of engagement might be a problem. Politicians are now saying in public that, with so few people wanting to have anything to do with politics, they are concerned about where the next generation of leaders will come from. There is even no obvious candidate for prime minister in waiting.

In such a vacuum, without mass participation in public life, the power of small groups of fanatics could well increase. Following the Aware furore, it is clear that one potential source of such fanaticism is the membership of born-again Christian cliques. It looks like Singaporeans are going to need to learn to take an interest in politics for a change.

**** 纳吉访狮城大突破?新加坡地铁或延伸柔州 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/wencui/2009/05/lhwb090518b.shtml>
by 联合晚报

马国首相纳吉于星期四对新加坡的官方访问,预料將达成一项把新加坡的地铁服务延伸到柔佛依斯干达经济特区的历史性成就,进而简化两国的关卡管制。

政府官员相信,纳吉这项被形容为“破冰之旅”的官访,將爭取到新加坡支持马来西亚兴建一条衔接两国的大桥,以取代现有长堤的计划。

**** NMP Siew Kum Hong Makes Police Report Against Netizens <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/430086/1/.html>
by 938 Live

Nominated MP Siew Kum Hong has made a police report against netizens posting defamatory comments about him. He revealed this in his blog. He has also requested forums which hosted such remarks to take them down.

**** Arts Bridge East And West In Singapore Festival <http://in.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idINIndia-39696820090518>
by Candida Ng, Reuters

East is East and West is West? Not at Singapore's annual arts festival, where cross-cultural collaboration is taking centre stage.

**** Singapore Exports Down 19.2% In April: Government <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jXgPY-_xANEh8VYyFQY9Cdpn8pWw>
by AFP

Singapore's main exports fell 19.2 percent year on year in April, government data released Monday showed, as the city-state struggles to find a way out of its worst recession in decades.

**** Why Is Homosexuality The Central Issue Of The "Conservative Majority" In Singapore <http://miak.livejournal.com/551232.html>
by Innersanctum

There is no better way to show that we are living well than Pink Dot.