[MyAppleMenu] May 16, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 16 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Apple Execs Disclose Options For Boosting iPhone Market Share <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/15/apple_execs_disclose_options_for_boosting_iphone_market_share.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Apple executives said this week they believe the iPhone remains in its infancy and went on to -- somewhat uncharacteristically -- reveal a series of strategic measures they may employ in the near term to help grow the handset's share of the booming smartphone market.

**** iPhone 3.0 Betaphiles Upset The Apple Cart <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/iphone-30-betaphiles-upset-apple-cart-099>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

Carefree users who must be first to run the latest, beta-est, not-so-firmware spell trouble for mobile app marketplaces.

**** Stop This Train! <http://www.slate.com/id/2218394/?from=rss>
by Tom Vanderbilt, Slate

Are trains slower now than they were in the 1920s?

**** The Internet Saved My Tongue <http://reason.com/news/show/133221.html>
by Ezra Levant, Reason

How I beat Canada's 'human rights' censors.

**** Some Thoughts On The Lost Art Of Reading Aloud <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/16/opinion/16sat4.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Verlyn Klinkenborg, New York Times

Our idea of reading is incomplete, impoverished, unless we are also taking the time to read aloud.

**** Digging For Darwin <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/books/review/Dizikes-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Peter Dizikes, New York Times

How many other first editions of “On the Origin of Species” are still tucked away in bookcases, boxes or attics? Could anyone else stumble across Darwin’s master piece by accident?

**** New Taxi-Operator? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_377330.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Despite clear signs that the taxi industry is overcrowded - operators posting thinner profits, outright losses, and hundreds of taxis laid up idle - there is a new applicant for a taxi-operating licence.

**** No Whale Sharks At IR <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_377584.html>
by Grace Chua, Straits Times

Resorts World at Sentosa (RWS) is scrapping its plan to exhibit whale sharks at its upcoming Marine Life Park. It is not clear whether earlier plans to have 700,000 marine creatures, including tiger sharks, piranhas and dolphins, are still in place.

**** Aware Has Never Had A 'Gay Agenda' <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_377378.html>
by Dana Lam, Aware, Straits Times

We would like to point out that homosexuality has never been 'a major issue' for the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware). Our stand, throughout the 24 years of our existence, has been identical to that of the government.

We agree that the heterosexual family is the norm for our society. But homosexuals are also part of our society and they should be able to live freely and happily, free of any discrimination. It must be made clear: Aware has never promoted homosexuality.

**** Online Postings Immature And Inflammatory <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_377380.html>
by Lester Lam, Straits Times

The comments are emotionally charged and will inflame the public. They consist of words that seek to polarise society and mobilise the masses to support them. This reminded me of the racial riots in the 1960s, when the masses were mobilised based on emotional rumours. Why does the Reach portal allow such inflammatory postings to remain? I dread to think of the consequences should people be led to believe the charges by these so-called 'pro-Singapore, pro-family' posters.

**** Give Credit Where Credit Is Due, STTA <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_377229.html>
by Khoo Lih-Han, Straits Times

I do not wish to hear comments from other countries that Singapore discards its coaches once its target is attained. This is wrong and does not reflect the overall sentiments of Singaporeans.

**** SingTel Explains Why Opting Out Isn't Automatic <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_377234.html>
by Cheam Tze Hui, SingTel, Straits Times

We have contacted Mr Ang to explain the opt-out system for SingNet's promotional services and apologised for the inconvenience caused. We have resolved the matter with him.

But no where in this reply was there even an ounce of explanation.

**** The Chairwoman <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2009/05/chairwoman.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

Singaporeans should be shameful for the way it treats its 'foreign talent' in sports.

**** Temasek And Bank Of America - Are We Missing Something? <http://singaporeenquirer.sg/?p=3762>
by Gabriel Sim, Singapore Enquirer

**** Lee Bee Wah 'Pang Sai Boh Cher Jamban' And Poor STTA Has To 'Qik Kar Chng' For Her <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9379>
by Jeremy Koh, The Wayang Party Club

Why should STTA be taking the rap for Lee Bee Wah? She is not a child anymore and she was the one who uttered those offensive words to the press in the first place.

**** "No Regrets" For $6.8bn Loss? <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/05/no-regrets-for-68bn-loss/>
by Gerald Giam

The Minister of Finance must answer to Parliament and to the people for this staggering loss of Singapore’s reserves. The government needs to be reminded that the reserves belong not to them, but to the people of Singapore, and more importantly, our children and future generations.

**** Hush Hush Here, Hush Hush There <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2009/05/hush-hush-here-hush-hush-there.html>
by Yaw Shin Leong

**** Johor-Singapore Ferry Service Offers New Routes <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=411546&cat=st>
by Bernama

**** Temasek's Long CHina Play Gets Short U.S. <http://blogs.reuters.com/reuters-dealzone/2009/05/15/temaseks-long-china-play-gets-short-us/>
by Chris Kaufman, Reuters

After all, as the axiom goes, no risk, no gain.

**** Dump Wonderland <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2009/5/16/lifefocus/3781372&sec=lifefocus>
by Leong Siok Hui, The Star

A fun tide pool walk in Singapore reveals a dynamic and rich marine ecosystem, and would you believe it’s in a landfill!

**** Yes, Malaysia Boleh <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/5/16/focus/3907891&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

As the two countries get older, their populations are gradually leaving behind the bitterness of their separation in 1965. Connected by regionalism and the Internet, their younger, better-educated generations now share more common values than those that divide them.

**** Singapore Keeps Faith In Self-Regulating Oil Market <http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-39650420090515>
by Ramthan Hussain, Reuters

As regulators in the world's top oil trading hubs move to tighten rules and boost transparency in opaque markets, Singapore may gain importance and liquidity as it stands by its pledge to let industry regulate itself.

**** Hong Lim Park Turns Pink <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_377640.html>
by Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times

The greens at Hong Lim Park were awashed in pink on Saturday when about a thousand people turned up to participate in Singapore's first ever outdoor gay protest.

**** Calls For Unbiased Probe Into Student's 'Suicide' <http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/article/19986.html>
by Jakarta Globe

**** Pinkdot - 16 May <http://okinedbeniko.blogspot.com/2009/05/pinkdot-16-may.html>
by okinedbeniko

**** Transparenc And Temasek: Diversification, Investments And A Vote For Jim Rogers <http://inquivision.blogspot.com/2009/05/transparency-and-temasek.html>
by Peijing Teh, Inquivision

I do question Temasek's investment strategy and tactics, and wonder if there might be some mechanism to allow for greater checks and balances.

**** Lee Bee Wah Sweeps Again... <http://edwinchong78.blogspot.com/2009/05/lee-bee-wah-sweeps-again.html>
by Edwin's Blog

As a MP, civil servant, public figure, government official, she should at least think twice before making any comments or remarks.