[MyAppleMenu] May 13, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 13 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** David Hockney Brings iPhone Art To Gallery <http://cultofmac.com/david-hockney-brings-iphone-art-to-gallery/10599>
by Nicole Martinelli, Cult Of Mac

**** ScriptPal 1.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140564/2009/05/scriptpal.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

A solution to this menu mess can be found in Doug’s own ScriptPal, a nifty iTunes add-on that takes your iTunes scripts and puts them in an attractive, resizable window that floats above iTunes, disappearing when iTunes isn’t the frontmost program.

**** Hands On: SlingPlayer For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140565/2009/05/slingplayer_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Safari 3.2.3 Improves Security <http://www.macworld.com/article/140569/2009/05/safari323.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple indicates that the update is recommended for all Safari users, and includes the latest security updates. Specific changes have been made to libxml, Safari and WebKit files, according to Apple.

**** Apple Unleashes 10.5.7 Update Via Software Update <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/05/apple-unleashes-1057-update-via-software-update.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The 10.5.7 update addresses a number of issues, including some printing issues, iCal syncing with CalDAV and MobileMe, Mail syncing with Notes, and Parental Controls. It also addresses a number of general issues, including performance of NVIDIA-based graphics, Finder searching of network volumes that don't support Spotlight, syncing contacts with Yahoo, and logging into GMail.

**** Entourage Is The Big Pothole On The Road To The Mac <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Apple/Entourage-Is-the-Big-Pothole-on-the-Road-to-the-Mac-107729/?kc=rss>
by Cameron Sturdevant, eWeek

In my ongoing quest to “go Mac,” e-mail has been a real sticking point. I have found Entourage unusable for day-to-day work, and so have had to come up with some ways around it.

**** Madison Avenue And The App Store <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/05/12/madison-avenue-and-the-app-store/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

The two reports agree about one thing: Madison Avenue has latched onto what it believes is a hot new medium.

**** AT&T Issues Official Statement On SlingPlayer's 3G Blackout For iPhone <http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/12/atandt-issues-official-statement-on-slingplayers-3g-blackout-for/>
by Chris Ziegler, Engadget

Look, AT&T, just tell it like it is: you're saying your 3G network would fold like a cheap suit if these apps took off.

**** iPhone's Database Not Worth Price Tag <http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/13/iphones-database-not-worth-price-tag/>
by Mark A. Keliner, The Washington Times

I'd rather see the one of the most-touted uses of Bento for iPhone - the ability to have, manage and expand your Address Book more easily - fully synchronized.

**** Request Denied. Is Apple Setting A Dangerous Precedent? <http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/05/12/request-denied-is-apple-setting-a-dangerous-precedent/>
by Matthew Shaer, The Christian Science Monitor

The biggest danger, of course, is that Apple could cut down too heavily on new applications, thus threatening the very openness that made the applications store such a success in the first place.

**** Digging Into Apple's OS X 10.5.7 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/140578/2009/05/1057update.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Most of the changes here are below the surface, and as you’d expect with a nearly half-gigabyte update, widespread.

**** Unofficial Software Incurs Apple's Wrath <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/technology/13jailbreak.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Jenna Wortham, New York Times

The growing popularity of jailbreaking has set up a legal battle between Apple, which says it has the right to regulate what can go on an iPhone, and the users and developers who want to customize their phones as they see fit.

**** Do CEOs Matter? <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200906/steve-jobs>
by Harris Collingwood, The Atlantic

Steve Jobs, Apple’s ailing CEO, is scheduled to return to work this month after a six-month leave, but investors are feeling skittish. Every time he sneezes, shares of Apple catch a cold. Can a CEO—even one as talented and visionary as Jobs—really make or break a corporation? Many business scholars have grown skeptical of the idea of chief executive as superhero. Cutting-edge research reveals that while some CEOs clearly do make a big difference, many are merely the most visible cogs in complex machines.

**** Review: Bento For iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/12/tuaw-review-bento-for-iphone/>
by Steven Sande, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

As a US$4.99 standalone personal database app for the iPhone, Bento stands alone as a professional and fast solution. It's even more outstanding when paired with the US$49 Mac version.

**** Apple's Latest Ad Takes Aim At Microsoft's 'Laptop Hunters' Campaign <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/12/apples-latest-ad-takes-aim-at-microsofts-laptop-hunters-campaign/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

Apple's latest "Get a Mac" ads seem to be taking direct aim at Microsoft's recent "Laptop Hunters" ads in which a customer is given money to pick out a laptop that suits their needs.

What I like best in the latest ads by Apple is the single line: "And I'm a Megan." This, in my opinion, is the best response to Microsoft's "I'm a PC."

**** How The iPod Changed Everything <http://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/download-decade/how-the-ipod-changed-everything/article1133329/>
by Matt Hartley, The Globe And Mail

Digital media, and Apple's ability to provide it to consumers, has resulted in the company becoming one of the most famous turnaround stories in the history of business. Apple has consistently pushed the envelope with products and services that allowed customers access to digital media in new ways.

One can almost imagine Mr. Jobs having a sense of deja vu as he surveyed the smart phone landscape, baring striking similarities to the MP3 market in 2001. Sure there were entrenched leaders &mdash; RIM, Nokia and Microsoft with its Windows Mobile software &mdash; but Mr. Jobs believed, once again, that no one had the right “recipe.”

**** Vectorworks 2009 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140491/2009/05/vectorworks09.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Greg Miller, Macworld

CAD program gets major under-the-hood upgrade.

**** Qu-s 1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140495/2009/05/qus1.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John Brandon, Macworld

Powerful notes application keeps you organized right from the desktop.

**** Apple And AT&T Playing Favorites With The App Store? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10239277-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Erica Ogg, CNET

There's a slight disconnect in what AT&T is saying and what it is doing: Other 3G smartphones that operate on AT&T's network can use the SlingPlayer.

**** Apple Execs To Keynote WWDC, Issue Final Snow Leopard Preview <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/13/apple_execs_to_keynote_wwdc_issue_final_snow_leopard_preview.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Apple said Wednesday that a team of its top executives lead by worldwide marketing chief Phil Schiller will kick off its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next month with a keynote address on Monday, June 8 at 10:00 a.m. that will showcase a final developer preview of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

**** Apple iMac 3.06GHz Review <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=115750>
by PC Advisor

Pay the premium for this Apple iMac 3.06GHz if you need quiet operation, unparalleled build quality and elegant styling – in both hardware and the robust operating system it’s designed to run.

**** Steve Jobs Wins Approval To Raze His Old Mansion <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/05/13/steve-jobs-wins-approval-to-raze-his-old-mansion/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Unless preservationists make a last-ditch effort to save it, a 14-bedroom house built by a copper millionaire during the Coolidge administration will be torn down by a computer billionaire in the age of Obama.

**** Pixel Qi Promises Cheap, Readable, Low-Power Displays <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/pixel-qi/>
by Priya Ganapati, Wired

Mary Lou Jepsen is a tech necromancer who battled the odds to conjure up a product that most experts said couldn’t be built: a $100 laptop (give or take a few twenties). Now she’s back, with plans for low-cost, low-power, super-readable, LCD-based screens that will go into everything from e-book readers to netbooks and computers.

**** Recession Culture <http://nymag.com/news/features/56623/>
by Jennifer Senior, New York Magazine

No money changes everything, from murder rates to museum attendance, from career choices to what you eat for dinner. And not all of it for the worse.

**** What Makes Us Happy? <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200906/happiness>
by Joshua Wolf Shenk, The Atlantic

Is there a formula—some mix of love, work, and psychological adaptation—for a good life? For 72 years, researchers at Harvard have been examining this question, following 268 men who entered college in the late 1930s through war, career, marriage and divorce, parenthood and grandparenthood, and old age.

**** Where Have All The Loose Women Gone? <http://www.esquire.com/features/thousand-words-on-culture/women-having-sex-0609>
by Stephen Marche, Esquire

The days of Sex and the City's influence are long gone. From Tina Fey's fake prude to Sarah Palin's real power play, here's why strong women just aren't that into having sex with you anymore.

**** Follow The Sound Of The Slurps <http://events.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/dining/reviews/13rest.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Frank Bruni, New York Times

In the end it’s not the Malaysian flavors or Manhattan tropes — both present here in the extreme — that will dictate your response to the new Fatty Crab, an upsize Upper West Side spinoff of the scruffy, scrappy downtown favorite.

It’s your sense of play, your appetite for a certain kind of giddy, sloppy abandon. It’s your eagerness to eat with your fingers and to make slurping noises as you mouth-wrestle with slippery noodles and to feel a flush in your cheeks as chilies light up your tongue.

**** Forensic Astronomer Solves Fine Arts Puzzles <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Celestial-Sleuth.html>
by Jennifer Drapkin and Sarah Zielinski, Smithsonian

In painter Edvard Munch's Girls on the Pier, three women lean against a railing facing a body of water in which houses are reflected. A peach-colored orb appears in the sky, but, curiously, casts no reflection in the water. Is it the Moon? The Sun? Is it imaginary? Does it matter?

To Donald Olson, an astrophysicist at Texas State University, the answer to the last question is an emphatic yes. Olson solves puzzles in literature, history and art using the tools of astronomy: charts, almanacs, painstaking calculations and computer programs that map ancient skies. He is perhaps the leading practitioner of what he calls "forensic astronomy."

**** Apple, SingTel Should Alert iPhone Users To Moisture Problem <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_375759.html>
by Todd Beltz, Straits Times

I feel that both Apple Singapore and SingTel should alert customers who buy iPhones to how the warranty can be rendered useless by something as simple as moisture.

**** Tanah Merah: A Total Surprise! <http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2009/05/tanah-merah-total-surprise.html>
by Wild Shores Of Singapore

As soon as I stepped foot on the shore, I realised every inch beneath the low water mark was covered with life.

**** Singapore Workers: What's In It For Us? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/05/singapore-workers-whats-in-it-for-us.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

Our leaders have pegged their own salaries to those in the highest income bracket. Think about it - it is in their interest to keep this system going.....as you struggle harder every year.

Any metrics that attempt to measure performance so as to set reward levels &mdash; whether it is number of flyers distributed, or number of programming bugs solved, or the GDP &mdash; will be abused and misused. I propose Lee Hsien Loong to remove the pegging to minister and perm sect's salaries to the GDP. In replacement, the prime minister should go to Parliament every year to propose and justify for the salaries of his direct subordinates. The prime minister should be responsible and accountable to the salaries directly, and delegate this to some formula that doesn't work.

**** Singapore Workers Showing Up At Work Despite Being Sick <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/428839/1/.html>
by Today

Some 52 per cent of the local respondents fear that too many sick days could go against them, while 50 per cent did not want to be perceived by superiors and peers as not working, the highest rates among those surveyed.

**** Mas Selamat Used Buoy Lights As Guide As He Swam Across Strait <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=410591>
by Mohd Haikal Isa, Bernama

A source refuted reports that the capture of Mas Selamat in Johor was the result of a joint operation between the Malaysian police and the neighbouring country's police.

"Although we did exchange intelligence, the operation to trace and capture Mas Selamat was carried out fully by the Malaysian police."

**** Cash Lifeline At Risk As Burmese Lose Foreign Jobs <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/122c6e62-3f59-11de-ae4f-00144feabdc0.html>
by Amy Kazmin, Financial Times

Chafing under military rule, Burma may appear cut off from the global economic turmoil. Yet millions of Burmese families are dependent on remittances from relatives working overseas.

**** 余熙明:新加坡是世上唯一没有贫民区的国家 <http://finance.qq.com/a/20090512/003716.htm>
by 腾讯

我们非常骄傲的说 ,新加坡是世界上唯一一个没有贫民区的国家。政府在适当的时候也进行干预,帮助居民在各个经济时期、各个 经济周期都能保证公民的住房所有权。

**** 新加坡工作见闻 <http://www.cjw.com.cn/index/slgc/detail/20090512/114268.asp>
by 马圣敏, 长江水利网

在这里,人与自然是那么得和谐,经常可以在闹市中看到很多野生动物,壁虎,蜥蜴,猴子还有色彩斑斓的鸟。在这里,人与动物每天唱着快乐和谐的旋律。

**** Ships Tread Water, Waiting For Cargo <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/business/global/13ship.html?em>
by Keith Bradsher, New York Times

To go out in a small boat along Singapore’s coast now is to feel like a mouse tiptoeing through an endless herd of slumbering elephants.

One of the largest fleets of ships ever gathered idles here just outside one of the world’s busiest ports, marooned by the receding tide of global trade. There may be tentative signs of economic recovery in spots around the globe, but few here.

**** ST's Selective Censorship Of Bernama's Report Debunking Wong Kan Seng's Claims That ISD Provided The Crucial &quot;Lead&quot; <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9278>
by The Wayang Party Club

**** Singapore Among Top 3 Most Attractive Places For "Mobile Wealthy" People <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/428946/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore ranks among the top three places in the world in terms of being an attractive financial centre for "mobile wealthy" individuals, including doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs.

**** MP Had No Empathy <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC090513-0000097/Online-Only---MP-had-no-empathyLetter-from-LAWRENCE-LOH-KIAH-MUAN>
by Lawrence Koh Kiah Muan, Today

In February 2001, my older son died in a naval accident whilst serving National Service. In that year, my younger son was due for enlistment. A friend, a very active grassroots member, suggested that I approach my MP, for help in exploring the possibility of getting an exemption for my younger son.

When I entered the room, his first remark was “Yes, what can I do for you?”. There was no attempt at offering a word of sympathy or condolence. I then related my situation and said that both my wife and I were very traumatised. His next remark “What traumatic, after two months, you won’t be traumatic?”.

The PAP has created so-called leaders that can count money and create formula to justify the money, but cannot talk, cannot relate, and cannot lead.