[MyAppleMenu] May 11, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 11 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Should Apple Be Arbiter Of Taste For iPhone Apps? <http://adage.com/article?article_id=136545>
by Rita Chang, Advertising Age

Yeah, they have an app for that. But should they?

**** Demands On Network Are An iPhone Hang-Up <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124200303430005275.html>
by Martin Peers, Wall Street Journal

Web applications popular with iPhone customers are bandwidth hogs.

**** Citrix Demos Of A New Kind Of Virtual Machine For Mac <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/11/citrix-demos-of-a-new-kind-of-virtual-machine-for-mac/>
by Arnold Kim, Mac Rumors

**** SHoveBox Mobile For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140285/2009/05/shoveboxmobile.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John Fuller, Macworld

**** Apple 17-Inch MacBook Pro Is A Head-Turner <http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/product/apple-17-inch-macbook-pro-is-a-head-turner-845>
by Cameron Sturdevant, eWeekEurope.co.uk

Apple’s 17-inch MacBook Pro is appropriate for high-value content producers and executives who desire a highly capable desktop replacement that turns heads when it enters the room.

**** Is The Apple TV A Stealth Games Console? <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?newsid=25970&pagtype=allchandate>
by Nick Spence, Macworld UK

**** A Latte With Journalism On The Side <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/technology/internet/11iht-papers.html?_r=1&ref=technology>
by Eric Pfanner, New York Times

**** New Search Tool Aims At Answering Tough Queries, But Not At Taking On Google <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/technology/internet/11search.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times

**** Wall Street Journal Plans Micropayments Model <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10237303-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Steven Musil, CNET

The Wall Street Journal is expected to begin charging nonsubscribers micropayments for access to individual articles, according to a report Sunday in The Financial Times.

**** Stephen Wolfram Reveals Radical New Formula For Web Search <http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/05/blog_epicenter_0511_wolframlevy>
by Steven Levy, Wired

The product of four years of development, Alpha is an engine for answers. Its ambition is to delve into “all the knowledge in the world,” Wolfram says, to find and calculate information. Though Alpha’s interface evokes Google ― whose co-founder Sergey Brin once spent a summer interning for Wolfram ― it’s more like the anti-Google.

**** Door-Slams By MSM Journos <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/05/10/doorslamsByMsmJournos.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News

Today's journalists are already an anachronism, and I think they know it, and that's why there's so much anger.

**** Delphiniums In A Window Box <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/05/18/090518po_poem_young>
by Dean Young, The New Yorker

**** Lines On The Poet's Turning Forty <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/05/18/090518po_poem_frazier>
by Ian Frazier, The New Yorker

**** Don't! <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/18/090518fa_fact_lehrer>
by Jonah Lehrer, The New Yorker

The secret of self-control.

**** More Head Or Heart? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,201573,00.html?>
by New Paper

Should it be called a 'meet-the-problem' session instead?

If so, it will help clarify how the sessions can evolve to better serve the target audience. To put it another way, it will help clarify what should lead the way - the head or the heart?

How about reducing the need for 'meet-the-problem' session instead? Minimum salary, single agency to actively seek out and provide those with welfare, and a more transparent and flexible civil service will go a long way.

**** We Want Our Child To Grow Up Non-Discriminative <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_374929.html>
by Margaret Tan, Teo Thiam Seng, Straits Times

Singapore is a multicultural and multireligious society and MOE must recognise that not all religious groups and non-believers necessarily think of homosexuality as immoral or criminal. At the end of the day, what we want for our child is that he grows up non-discriminative and non-prejudicial, and is able to make critical decisions, and love and be loved in return.

**** Milder Than Originally Feared: MOH <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090511-0000048/Milder-than-originally-feared--MOH>
by Esther Ng, Today

It's official - Singapore’s H1N1 health alert has stepped down from Orange to Yellow. According to the Ministry of Health (MOH), the new strain “seems milder than originally feared”.

**** Something That May Be Making The Rounds <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/05/something-that-may-be-making-rounds.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

**** ST Apologizes To Dr William Tan For Lying And Publicizing His Non-Existent Illness <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9191>
by The Wayang Party Club

A virtual monopoly in the market has caused the state media to become complacent and slack, leading to fast deteriorating journalistic standards.

**** The Fallacy Of "Growth At All Costs" (Part One) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/the-fallacy-of-“growth-at-all-costs”-part-one/>
by Rajiv Chaudhry, The Online Citizen

The equation does not hold when a country is small, has limited resources and land size, and has achieved near developed country status. To continue to seek unlimited growth under these circumstances when a tipping point has been reached will result in a slow but sure decline.

**** Much That Wong Kan Seng Needs To Account For <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2349-much-that-wong-kan-seng-needs-to-account-for>
by Singapore Democrats

There needs to be a full independent inquiry into the entire episode surrounding the Mas Selamat saga, an inquiry that must not take the form of the Commission of Inquiry that was appointed last year, one that no one took seriously. And Mr Wong Kan Seng must be at the centre of the probe to answer questions that are bursting to be asked.

**** Archiving J B Jeyaretnam's Papers For Posterity <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1022.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

It is a sad reflection of the corruption that has crept into out country's institutions that we instinctively ask such questions. We all know that lines have been blurred between state, government and ruling party. In fact, it is part of JBJ's legacy that we have been shown this.

**** Visa Requirements For Mexican Nationals Lifted From Tuesday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/428468/1/.html>
by Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

**** It's Time To Move Beyond The Nature/Nurture Divide <http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/reviewofbooks_article/6601/>
by Helene Guldberg, Spiked

In advising parents to ignore hectoring experts, Judith Rich Harris’s book still packs a punch 10 years on. But its use of evolutionary theory and social psychology to explain how people are ‘shaped’ leaves much to be desired.

**** Young, But Not Clueless <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/Isay/EDC090511-0000077/Young,-but-not-clueless>
by Kym Ng, Today

I do agree that parents have the right to be concerned about the content of these sex education programmes. But teenagers have the right to be educated, to make informed and sound decisions about their sexuality and their individual bodies.

To anything less, just because of an adult brouhaha, would be irresponsible. It essentially would deny children the right to education, and to safety.

**** How I Took On The Burmese Junta And Won <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/05/11/how_i_took_on_the_burmese_junta_and_won>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph

The repressive Burmese junta may have to put plans for an extensive new airport in their secretive capital Naypyidaw on hold after one of Australia's largest engineering companies pulled out of the project in rather hasty fashion because I exposed their involvement in the questionable development.

Rather bizarrely, the company in question, Downer EDI, claimed that it was unaware that its wholly-owned Singapore-based consultancy arm CPG had been contracted to design the airport until I informed them of the fact last week.