[MyAppleMenu] May 9, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 9 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** MacBook Users: Turn Off This Bluetooth Default Setting Now <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/macbook-users-turn-off-this-bluetooth-default-setting-now/>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired

Last night I discovered an incredibly dumb — and what I consider to be dangerous — setting enabled by default in my unibody MacBook Pro. In the Bluetooth preferences, it’s the box checkmarked “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer.” Sounds innocent enough, but it could’ve killed my computer.

**** Apple Changes To App Store Review Policy Worry Developers <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/05/developers-worried-by-apple-change-to-app-store-review-policy.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

Apple has always stood behind its public APIs, guaranteeing that bug-free programs that ran under earlier firmware would continue to run in later releases. Developers worry, though, that solid 2.x applications may not run properly under 3.0, causing them to lose their place in App Store.

**** Crash And Relaunch Doesn't Work As Expected <http://www.macworld.com/article/140503/2009/05/crash_and_relaunch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ted Landau, Macworld

When a program crashes (what Apple euphemistically describes as an “unexpected quit”), that’s enough trouble all by itself. The last thing you need is an Apple dialog that misinforms you about what will happen next. But this is apparently what occurs.

**** In Praise Of Directory <http://www.macworld.com/article/140501/2009/05/directory.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John C. Welch, Macworld

Oft-overlooked application holds a ton of useful functionality for Mac networks.

**** Pro Tools 8 - A Solid Upgrade <http://www.macworld.com/article/140505/2009/05/protools8.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

The list of new features in Pro Tools 8 is very long, but the company did a great job putting it all together.

**** Twitterific 2.0 Improves User Interface, Searches <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/05/08/twitterrific.20.released/>
by iPodNN

The v2.0 release has a redesigned user interface aimed at being more customizable, with new themes and timeline layouts. The timeline now also includes filtering, enabling users to more rapidly sort through updates.

**** Apple's Popular Electronic Playground <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/09/arts/television/09phon.html?_r=1>
by Seth Schiesel, New York Times

Apple hasn’t been this relevant in video games — and video games have not been so relevant to Apple — since the early 1980s, when the Apple II was a major platform for computer games.

It is about time.

**** Trio Of Programs Increase Usability Of Twitter <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2009199605_ptmacc09.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

**** Latest Mobile Phone Technology Gives Birdwatchers A Flying Start <http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/country-view/Latest-mobile-phone-technology-gives.5249615.jp>
by Roger Ratcliffe, Yorkshire Post

All the information you could possibly need to positively identify a bird – plumage, song, flight, feeding habits – fits easily onto the new generation of mobile phones and MP3 players.

**** Kachingle To 'Sprinkle' Dollars To Online Publishers <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10236893-2.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0>
by Mats Lewan, CNET

**** A Powerful Way To Edit Images Online <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/22626/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

An advanced web-based editing tool is connecting to sites across the internet.

**** Seriously, What Are The Odds? <http://cavett.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/seriously-what-are-the-odds/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Dick Covett, New York Times

I love my own coincidences and love to hear other peoples’ stories. Or let’s say I love most of mine.

**** I Love You More <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/books/review/Dominus-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Susan Dominus, New York Times

Writing about motherhood is a little bit like writing about sex — in both cases, the author confronts the challenge of finding something new to say about a subject so powerful that all but the most inspired language sounds either trite or overblown.

**** Mother, Brace Yourself <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/10/books/review/Gottlieb-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Lori Gottlieb, New York Times

It’s not that I’d set out to write about my mother. It’s just that it’s virtually impossible to write about your childhood without writing about your mother, and people who grow up to be writers generally have some less than flattering observations to share. So I wasn’t surprised when my mother got back to Los Angeles and had some less than flattering things to say about my book. Ever since, she’s pretended it doesn’t exist.

**** Mas Selamat Captured - All Thanks To The ISD! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/mas-selamat-captured-all-thanks-to-the-isd/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen

Personally, I think this would be a most appropriate time for the Minister to apologise for all the worry, inconvenience and trouble caused to both Singaporeans and his counterparts in Malaysia and Indonesia for ISD’s slip up. It is not the time for praising the ISD for doing their job.

**** Terror-rible Experts <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/terror-rible-experts/>
by Groundnotes

If there is one thing worse than terrorists, its terrorist experts.

**** Spin On Mas Selamat's Capture... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/05/spin-on-mas-selamats-capture.html>
by Diary Of A Singaproean Mind

Many Singaporeans are genuinely happy with his capture - but to spin this whole episode into a success story that Singaporeans should be proud of is really hard to swallow.

**** Mas Selamat's Re-Arrest: Has The PAP Learnt A Lesson In Transparency And Accountability? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=9099>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

Let’s wait and see if Wong and his team will have the moral fortitude and courage to accept their fair share of responsibility in this biggest screw-up in our nation’s history. Till now, we have yet to hear an apology from any of the top honchos except a near senile octagenarian shifing the blame to us for being “complacent”.

If you want us to pay you top salaries like in the corporate sector, then you must be prepared for your head to roll when you screw up.

**** Enter Citizen Awareness <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/5/9/columnists/insightdownsouth/3858563&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

After all the acrimony, something worthwhile has emerged, summed by the observation that Singaporeans now have a better understanding that while diversity is acceptable, a divided Singapore is not.

**** Question Time For MHA <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/05/question-time-for-mha/>
by Gerald Giam

**** Mas Selamat's Re-Arrest Not The End Of Singapore's Problem <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/428076/1/.html>
by Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia

In a statement to the media on Saturday, the Prime Minister also said information about the capture of Mas Selamat on 1 April was not made public earlier, because of a prior agreement with the Malaysian authorities.

Singapore should not have made this agreement with Malaysia.

**** Singapore PM Grateful For Capture Of Terrorist <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/5/9/nation/3870921&sec=nation>
by The Star

Singaporean prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has expressed his gratitude to Malaysia for arresting terrorist Mas Selamat Kastari, prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said.

**** Government Will Plug Any Weakness In Singapore's Border Security <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/428071/1/.html>
by Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia