[MyAppleMenu] May 3, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 3 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** iTunes Now Funnels iPhone Crash Reports To Developers <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/05/itunes-now-funnels-iphone-crash-reports-to-developers.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Users can now automatically send crash logs to developers via iTunes whenever an iPhone or iPod touch is synced. The increased access to these logs will aid developers in making better software.

**** Apple Offers Fix For iMac's Radeon HD 4850 Freezing Issues <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/02/apple_offers_fix_for_imacs_radeon_hd_4850_freezing_issues.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Released on Saturday, iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 (1.7MB) specifically addresses the hard lock-ups that occur at random and leave iMac users with the custom-order graphics with no choice but to reboot their systems to regain a usable computer, regardless of whether they're using Mac OS X or running Windows in Boot Camp.

**** Apple, EFF Square Over iPhone Jailbreaking <http://iphonetouch.blorge.com/2009/05/02/apple-eff-square-over-iphone-jailbreaking/>
by Ronald O Carlson, Blorge

The notion that companies need protection from customers wielding the power of the devices that the companies themselves create, sell and/or profit from should be an immediate red flag.

**** Apple Launches A Revolution - And Then Gets Overtaken <http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/may/03/apple-iphone-technology-market>
by Richard Wray and Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

It happened when the Mac bought a mouse to every desktop. Now, with the iPhone, it's happening again.

**** Enough With The 100 Days Already <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/opinion/03rich.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Frank Rich, New York Times

President Obama’s high marks by the public and the press are all ludicrously provisional. It’s too early to judge the results of any policy.

**** An Open Letter To New AWARE President Dana Lam And Her Team <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2896>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

With the soft rays of the fresh morning sun falling upon the first pages of a new chapter in Singapore civil society, let us resolve never to wallow in the twilight of complacency again, and let us leave our comfort zones that we have become so used to and start to act on what we truly believe in.

**** Flyers And Flying Laws <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1016.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

We first rape the concept of democracy by passing all sorts of laws that choke off free speech and assembly. Then when the laws themselves don't specifically cover certain situations that the government dislikes, we interpret the laws any way we please. Frankly, it is disgraceful.

**** Josie Lau And Team Resigns From Executive Committee <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/josie-lau-and-team-resigns-from-executive-committee/>
by The Online Citizen

The verdict was out long before the voting came – Ms Josie Lau and team were unpopular with many on the floor, as there was plenty of jeering during the AWARE’s Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM). Most of it was directed at them.

In the end, the executive committee resigned after a vote of no confidence dealt a blow to their credibility within the organisation. The Old Guard also wasted no time in nominating a new executive committee — Dana Lam became the new president, and Chew I Jin the new vice-president.

**** 7 Mar 1986: The Day We All Became Aware <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,200750,00.html?>
by Benson Ang, New Paper

**** Why Give Us So Little Time To Pack? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,200757,00.html?>
by Crystal Chan, New Paper

Long weekend stay ruined as flustered family, who spent hundreds on food, given an hour to clear Aloha chalet after it becomes quarantine centre.

**** Leaders Back Archbishop <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_371773.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times

Key religious leaders in Singapore have thrown their backing behind the Anglican Archbishop's stand that churches - and religious bodies in general - should stay out of the affairs of secular organisations.

**** Homily Heaven <http://singaporesojourn.blogspot.com/2009/05/homily-heaven.html>
by Singapore Sojourn

Secularism is one of the mainstays of this country and long may it remain so.

**** Aware Members Demand: "Account For Our Money!" <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/aware-members-demand-“account-for-our-money”/>
by Choo Zheng Xi and Khirulanwar, The Online Citizen

It is unclear at this point of time how Aware will defray the costs for the expenditure, or whether Ms Lau’s team will bear any of the costs.

**** Chaos <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/chaos/>
by Terence Lee and Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

“Sit down and shut up!”

**** Singapore - Red Traffic Signal Is Optional <http://www.waleedhanafi.com/2009/05/singapore-red-traffic-signal-is.html>
by Ignorance Is Curable

What started as a sense of unease when crossing streets as a pedestrian and driving as a motorist has now become a fact - drivers in Singapore are treating amber and red signal lights as optional indicators to stop.

**** 'Draconian' Powers Seen To Contain Swine Flu <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hDAnOEXTEJrJS6Zk9OI6d-EJ99BQ>
by AFP

**** AWARE's President Says Biggest Challenge Is To Harness Support Of New Members <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/426636/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The newly-elected AWARE president Dana Lam says her team's biggest challenge now is to harness the support of new members.

**** Thank God The Christians Were Defeated <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/05/thank-god-christians-were-defeated.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

Truly, I felt sorry for Thio. Sorry that she is such a misguided human being. After all that scheming, plotting behaviour of hers in recent months, she still actually seems to think that she deserves respect. And just for being old.

Thio, next time, try being transparent and honest. It's an easier way to get respect.

**** Reflections Of The Aware EGM From A Member <http://wayangparty.com/?p=8936>
by Soh Lai Yee, The Wayang Party Club

Particularly reassuring was a resounding demonstration that an established non-governmental organisation faced with its most dramatic power usurp saga had the reach, the depth, and more than enough leaders with a keen sense of governance to manage conflicts and differences of values.