[MyAppleMenu] Mar 30, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 30 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** When Memes Collide - Apple Is Expensive Vs. Windows Is Vulnerable <http://beutelevision.com/blog2/2009/03/29/when-memes-collide-apple-is-expensive-vs-windows-is-vulnerable/>
by Contemplating Code And Life

**** MonsterQuest Puzzle Game Debuts For Mac <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/03/28/monsterquest.for.mac/>
by MacNN

**** Skype Announces Service For iPhone, BlackBerry <http://in.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idINN2930564020090330>
by Sinead Carew, Reuters

Skype, the Internet telephone unit of eBay Inc, is planning to launch its service for iPhone users on Tuesday and for BlackBerry in May as part of its effort to expand beyond desktop computers.

**** Review: Pace For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139703/2009/03/pace.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Merron, Macworld

Pace, a running journal app for the iPhone, may get me into the habit of keeping notes on my daily runs again.

**** Cook Book? Frying Eggs On A MacBook Pro <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/gNj3TSIWFAw/9852>
by Nicole Martinelli, Cult of Mac

**** GraphicDesignerToolbox 1.0 Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/139706/2009/03/graphicdesignertoolbox.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

GraphicDesignerToolbox is a graphics editor that helps you generate textures, compose logos, manipulate photos, produce text effects or graphics for use on the Web and more.

**** Review: iPhone Apps For Kids - Shapebuilder And More <http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2009/03/review-iphone-2.html>
by Daniel Donahoo, Wired

**** Time Capsule <http://www.macworld.com/article/139693/2009/03/timecapsule09.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Scott McNulty, Macworld

Apple’s latest Time Capsules are what any good networking and backup devices should be: easy to set up, manage, and forget about.

**** Macworld Expo Moving To February In 2010 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139713/2009/03/macworldexpo2010.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld

Macworld Expo will shift its dates to February in 2010 and open its show floor to attendees on Saturday, as part of the first steps to remake the long-time Mac trade show after Apple’s decision to end its involvement.

**** Do-It-Yourself Magazines, Cheaply Slick <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/technology/internet/30mag.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Ashlee Vance, New York Times

With a new Web service called MagCloud, Hewlett-Packard hopes to make it easier and cheaper to crank out a magazine than running photocopies at the local copy shop.

**** Newspapers Aren't Dying, Democracy Is <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/mar/17/newspapers-democracy-decline>
by Dan Kennedy, The Guardian

A new survey about public attitudes toward newspapers gets it precisely backwards. Supposedly most people don't think civic life would suffer all that much if their local newspaper shut down. But it's not that they don't care about their newspaper – they don't care about civic life.

**** You've Read The Headlines. Now, Quick, Read The Book. <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/books/30quic.html?_r=1>
by Motoko Rich, New York Times

As the metabolism of the culture has sped up in the digital age, pockets of the publishing industry are prodding themselves out of their Paleolithic ways and joining the rush, with more books on current events coming out faster than ever before.

**** Confessions Of An Alien Hunter <http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3077&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>
by Michael Schirber, Astrobiology Magazine

After five decades, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence has failed to find any alien signals. SETI researchers are still optimistic that we will one day find evidence for intelligent life somewhere in our galaxy. A new book by SETI scientist Seth Shostak reviews the history, the controversies and the reasons for continuing the search.

**** Does Nature Have Economic Value? <http://www.reason.com/news/show/132416.html>
by Ronald Bailey, Reason

Ecological economists know the price of everything&mdash;and the value of nothing.

**** Trench Names <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/06/090406po_poem_byatt>
by A. S. Byatt, The New Yorker

**** The Poem That Can't Be Written <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/06/090406po_poem_raab>
by Lawrence Raab, The New Yorker

**** TS Eliot's Snort Of Rejection For Animal Farm <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article5993099.ece>
by Richard Brooks, The Times

It must rate as the literary snub of the 20th century. T S Eliot, one of Britain’s greatest poets, rejected George Orwell’s Animal Farm for publication on the grounds of its unconvincing Trotskyite politics.

**** Guerilla Filmmakking <http://leedeeya.livejournal.com/94596.html>
by Leedeeya

Filmmaking in Singapore narcisissitic in nature. Maybe now, filmmaking can go somewhere because we are making it about everyone and not just one person.

**** Doc Shortage: Why Didn't We See It Early? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_356179.html>
by Joey Yeo, Straits Times

Why wasn't this anticipated early enough?

Since when did centralized planning of supply and demand proved to be accurate?

**** Don't Chop Trees To Build Estate <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_356100.html>
by Harris Ho, Straits Times

There is plenty of vacant ground to build new flats in Singapore, including one beside these trees. HDB need not chop down these trees. The space is more than enough for the new estate.

**** Alternative Media In Singapore Is Just Another 154th <http://harogenki.blogspot.com/2009/03/alternative-media-in-singapore-is-just.html>
by Haro Genki

Singapore media tends to portray everything as if it is flawless, alternative media loves to dig at it and only has the bad points to it. Then who's right or wrong then.

I just want one person to tell me what is right and what is wrong. Stop confusing me with these different wrong opinions. Don't make me think.

**** Higher Subsidy For More <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_356315.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times

Health minister Khaw Boon Wan announced on Sunday a move to iron out the discrepancy by introducing more income tiers to be used to determine the size of subsidy for patients in community hospitals.

Please don't make people think twice about receiving a pay increment at work against a possible real loss of subsidies.

**** Let's Cook Up Some Tall Tales About Food - Singapore Style <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,197364,00.html?>
by Sylvia Toh Paik Choo, New Paper

For a young 'un Singapore, especially with no history of literature, who's to prevent us from concocting our own terrible tall tales surrounding our own icons and foods?

**** We Need To Change The Way The Government Manages Our Economy <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2603>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

We need to encourage the resident population to spend and invest more in our local economy, in all manners of goods and services, especially those produced by small and medium enterprises who have their roots and stakes firmly anchored within our shores. This would create a virtuous cycle that makes for sustainable economic growth and development.

**** Shark Fin Out Of Vogue Among Young Asians <http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/TP20337.htm>
by Ralph Jennings and Cheong Kah Shin, Reuters

Wildlife conservationists, who have long railed against the popularity of shark fin soup, are finally seeing signs that consumption is dropping as young Asians become aware of the environmental impact of this much prized dish.

Added to that is the global financial crisis, which is causing Asians to tighten their belts and either cut down on visits to restaurants or order more frugally from menus.

**** 邓小平说借鉴新加坡只是客套话? <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090330_501.shtml>
by 孙景峰, 联合早报

从1978年到1992年,在长达十多年的时间里,务实的邓小平绝对不可能将当初的一句客套话铭刻于心并付诸实践。

**** With New Media, Trust All The More Imperative <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/310568.asp>
by Today

As new media increasingly dominates the landscape and as Singaporeans embrace more diverse beliefs, there is a rising danger that hurtful or insensitive remarks may cause unrest between communities, minister for community development, youth and sports Vivian Balakrishnan said yesterday.

Mr Balakrishnan also urged Singaporeans to reach out to new immigrants and permanent residents and help them integrate into society.

See Also: Speech By Dr Vivian Balakrishnan [http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mcys/speech/S-20090329-1.html], Singapore Government.

**** 金文泰两座组屋居民 为何对“一屋两门”说不? <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090330_502.shtml>
by 陆彩霞, 联合早报

**** New Faces Watching New Media <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/new-faces-watching-new-media/>
by PN Baliji, The Online Citizen

MICA needs help and with the Cabinet changes already in place, the next best thing is to look at a high-level committee drawing people, even bloggers, to come together for a serious re-look of a policy that is in danger of being swept away by the currents of change.

**** Singapore May Devalue Currency In April, Survey Shows <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqRuuHgTpxfI&refer=home>
by Patricia Lui, Bloomberg

The Monetary Authority of Singapore may devalue the city’s currency and allow it to drop 4 percent against the U.S. dollar by June 30 to aid exporters and lift the economy out of the worst recession since independence in 1965.

The central bank will shift the mid-point of the Singapore dollar trading band at a twice-yearly review in April, according to 15 of 17 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. The currency is “extremely and ridiculously overvalued,” Patrick Bennett, Asia foreign-exchange strategist at Societe Generale SA in Hong Kong, said last week.

**** Third WP Candidate From GE 2006 Resigns From Party <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/third-wp-candidate-from-ge-2006-resigns-from-party/>
by The Online Citizen

Mr Abdul Salim, 27, a member of the Workers’ Party’s team which contested Ang Mo Kio GRC in the last elections, has tendered his resignation from the party.

**** PM Lee Says Cabinet Reshuffle Another Step In Self-Renewal Process <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/418786/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Although Mr Lee said the next general election, which has to take place by February 2012, is not near, Singaporeans and investors want to see the next team of political leaders.

**** Singapore Urges Obese Workers To Trim The Fat <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/03/30/singapore_urges_obese_workers_to_trim_the_fat>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph

The relationship between state and society in Singapore is governed by micromanagement, with many people looking to government for advice on how to live their lives and ministers regularly telling people what to do.

In that very spirit, the health minister, Khaw Boon Wan, has urged overweight Singaporeans to get fit if they want to improve their job prospects in these tough times.

**** Solar Panels Wait For Sunny Outlook In Singapore <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE52T1WX20090330>
by Laurence Tan, Reuters

For a country that's right on the equator, relying on solar energy in Singapore seems like a bright idea. Try and get off the grid, however, and it quickly loses its shine.

**** New Terminal's Delay Worries Cruise Operators <http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20090330-132080.html>
by Straits Times

Cruise operators have expressed concern over the one-year delay in the construction of the new International Cruise Terminal at Marina South.

They say that pushing the project back means the industry will - literally - miss the boat in a tourism sector that remains afloat despite the economic turmoil.

**** Man Guilty, Jailed 6 Months <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_356431.html>
by Elena Chong, Straits Times

Rag-and-bone man Ng Kim Ngweng was sentenced to six months' jail on Monday after he was convicted of threatening to cause hurt to a member of parliament.

In this case, the threat that Ng uttered had ramifications to the victim's work as an MP. District Judge Liew Thiam Leng said threats to cause injury must be taken seriously and the victim concerned in this case was certainly affected in the discharge of her personal and work commitments.

**** Singapore Church Pays Princely Sum To Leader <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gWTZ_CBP-i0D2_8F5JjgDH2jFJCQ>
by AFP

The New Creation Church, which raised 19 million Singapore dollars in just one day in February for the construction of its new premises, paid one employee between 500,001 and 550,000 dollars in the financial year ended March 31, 2008, the Straits Times said.

**** Reaching The Needy? More Publicity Needed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/reaching-the-needy-more-publicity-needed/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore Airlines Will Not Be Swayed <http://business.smh.com.au/business/singapore-airlines-will-not-be-swayed-20090330-9h1p.html>
by Danny John, Sydney Morning Herald

Singapore Airlines is determined to push ahead with its campaign to fly between Australia and the United States despite the latest snub by the Federal Government in blocking its hopes to fly on the route.

**** Mourning 25 Years Of The Demise Of A Free And Independent Press <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7201>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

While SPH and the PAP celebrates 25 years of overwhelming success in state-sponsored thought control, let us, as one of the few who have managed to escape relatively unscathed from its omnipresent influence, mourn the demise of a free and independent press.

**** Administrative Service Aims To Place 20% Of Officers Outside Ministries <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/418920/1/.html>
by Channel NewAsia

Administrative service officers have been urged to make the best use of programmes designed to give them exposure to ground sentiments.

**** Ideas To Help Sentosa's Marine Life Park Team Circumvent The Whale Shark Exhibit Winning Bid Submissions Please... <http://perrytong.blogspot.com/2009/03/ideas-to-help-sentosas-marine-life-park.html>
by Perry Tong, A Singaporean

**** A Quiter's Glory! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/03/quitters-glory.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

Break the bank for the glory-maker and let the unproductive (used to be nation builders) rot and die (preferably in JB).

**** Workers’ Party Hit By Latest Spate Of Resignations <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/toc-report-workers-party-hit-by-latest-spate-of-resignations/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Four party cadres, including two candidates from GE 2006, resigned in the past one week but renewal process is on track, says organizing secretary.