[MyAppleMenu] Mar 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 26 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** MacHeist 3 Bundle Revealed: $900+ For $39 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/macheist-3-bundle-revealed-900-for-39.ars>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

The collection of software can be purchased now via the MacHeist website and currently offers 10 pieces of Mac software with the possibility of three additional apps being unlocked if certain sales marks are met. Further, a free copy of Eventbox, the social everything app, is being given away to each visitor of the bundle site for an undisclosed period of time.

**** EA Mobile Bringing Madden, Wolfenstein To iPhone <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10204319-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

EA Mobile is making a big bet on the iPhone and iPod Touch, announcing plans this week to port more than a dozen of its most popular games to Apple's gadgets.

**** Evernote Has Been Busy! <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/evernote_has_been_busy.php>
by Sarah Perez, Read Write Web

Evernote, the popular note-taking, cataloging, and bookmarking service has been busy over the past month, cranking out a number of updates

**** Apple Sued Over iPhone's Access To iTunes, Camera Chips <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/25/apple_sued_over_iphones_access_to_itunes_camera_chips.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Apple has been targeted twice in lawsuits this week by companies that claim patent infringement in the iPhone, the App Store, and even the chips that power its camera.

**** Some Favorite Apps That Make iPhone Worth The Price <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090325/some-favorite-apps-that-make-iphone-worth-the-price/?mod=ATD_rss>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

I am not saying these are the best apps on the iPhone, only that they do their jobs and make the device much more useful for me.

**** Apple Australia's $300m iPhone Boom <http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Apple-Australia-s-300m-iPhone-boom/0,130061702,339295667,00.htm>
by Liam Tung, ZDNet Australia

Apple's 2008 financial statements, submitted to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission in March, details the company's rapid growth in a year that saw it open its flagship George Street store in Sydney, as well as in Chatswood and also Melbourne.

**** Dear Apple: How Will You Handle Death-By-Push-Notification? <http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03/25/dear-apple-handle-deathbypushnotification/>
by Rene Ritchie, The iPhone Blog

Suddenly Push Notification is trying to pop up 30 text boxes all at once — while you’re in the middle of an urgent phone call. How will you handle this, Apple?

**** MacHeist <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/03/26/macheist/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

Does MacHeist hurt the amount of money people are willing to pay for great Mac software? Does it hurt the market for indie software?

**** Apple's iPhone App Refund Policies Could Bankrupt Developers <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/25/apples-iphone-app-refund-policies-could-bankrupt-developers/>
by Leena Rao, TechCrunch

The developer not only has to return the money for the sale, but also has to reimburse Apple for its commission.

**** The iPhone Excuse <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/the-iphone-excuse/>
by Sam Grobart, New York Times

For all its abilities and powers, the iPhone is a tremendous pocket computer, but a lousy phone.

**** An Orderly Office? That's Personal <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/garden/26office.html>
by Sara Rimer, New York Times

Now, as unemployment is on the rise and freelance work and part-time jobs are replacing many full-time ones, more of us are spending more time in home offices (or in the tiny nooks that often pass for them). We may be spending less on furnishing them, but the demand for ways to make these spaces make sense has probably never been higher.

**** The Monster Inside My Son <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/03/26/bauer_autism/index.html>
by AnnBauer, Salon

For years I thought of his autism as beautiful and mysterious. But when he turned unspeakably violent, I had to question everything I knew.

**** Why Books Won't Change Your Life <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/mar/23/life-changing-books>
by Alastair Harper, The Guardian

Publishers love to say a novel is unputdownable, or life-changing. I can't imagine anything worse.

**** 5-Year Passport Means Greater Security <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_354700.html>
by Chia Hui Keng, Immigratoin &amp; Checkpoints Authority, Straits Times

In a move to enhance passport integrity and security, the validity period of Singapore passports was reduced to five years from April 1, 2005. Passports with shorter validity allow new technologies to be incorporated more rapidly, thus deterring passport forgery and abuse.

**** Is CPF My Social Security Or Social Bondage? <http://civicadvocator.net/is-cpf-my-social-security-or-social-bondage/>
by Civil Advocator

**** Change In Library Policy Explained <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_354716.html>
by Tay Ai Cheng, National Library Board, Straits Times

These changes will not affect library users who return their materials on time or pay their fines and fees promptly. We are heartened by those who paid their fines and fees. Settling one's fines and fees is the gracious and responsible thing to do.

**** Hawking At Orchard Road: The More The Merrier <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_354558.html>
by Craig Monteiro, Straits Times

Taking street carts away from Orchard Road is like killing all the pigeons at St Mark's Square in Venice. It would still be attractive, but without some of its character and novelty.

**** Chance To Be A Healthcare Pioneer <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/newspapers/supplements/singapore/article5976407.ece>
by Roger Dobson, The Times

It may have a population of fewer than five million, but Singapore has a health system that ranks among the finest in the world. Its doctors, healthcare workers and researchers are at the forefront of medicine, from basic screening, cosmetic surgery and hip replacements, to pioneering work on stem cells, gene therapy, organ transplants and brain surgery.

**** Two Airlines Get Approvals To Fly To Singapore From More Malaysian Cities <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/417691/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

Despite these approvals, Malaysia will have to negotiate its bilateral air services agreement with Singapore before the carriers can be granted access to the routes.

**** Singapore, An Urban Model For The French Suburbs? <http://observers.france24.com/en/content/20090325-singapore-urban-model-french-suburbs-banlieue-crime>
by France 24

I live in Bishan, a relatively small HDB zone (67,400 residents). Letterboxes are intact, there's no graffiti on the walls, no burnt-out cars, no security guards in the supermarkets. This peace and quiet is a big part of the local landscape.

**** Little Singapore? <http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/barun-roy-little-singapore/352920/>
by Barun Roy, Business Standard

Jakarta has chosen Singapore to play the role of a mentor and guide BBK’s development. For foreign investors, there can’t be a better reassurance.

**** 我国国会选举制度的困境和出路 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090326_501.shtml>
by 张锡鸿, 联合早报

其实,我国国会选举制度尽管处于瓶颈,然而制度本身却没有什么大毛病。因此,并不需要进行大规模的改革,而只需作出小幅度的调整。

**** PAP MPs Expressed Concern For Foreign Students, But Forgot About Local Undergraduates <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6945>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

Treating our local students so shabbily will not impress the foreign talents Singapore so desperately needs. On the contrary, it will only convince them more than ever that Singapore is not a place for them to set up their homes.

**** Walking Four Bridges On The Singapore River <http://leolaksi.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/walking-four-bridges-on-the-singapore-river/>
by Leo Laksi's Bangkok And Back

One of my favorite walks in Singapore is down the Singapore River from Read Bridge near Clarke Quay to the Cavanagh Bridge near the Fullerton Hotel. Along the way is also Boat Quay and its boisterous pub and restaurant Row.

**** Cosmopolitan Micro-State Is A Magnet For Global Professionals <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/newspapers/supplements/singapore/article5976364.ece>
by Simon Midgley, The Times

With a top-class infrastructure and an international reputation for efficiency and friendliness, Singapore is an ever-popular destination for overseas professionals seeking new opportunities in what is, per capita, one of the world’s wealthiest countries.

**** Campers To Get Permits To Camp From April 15 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/417852/1/.html>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today

Camping has become so popular that permits now have to be applied for on weekends as well, with a quota imposed on the number being given out.

**** What To Do With The Rohingyas? <http://da-phish.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-to-do-with-rohingyas.html>
by Still Me

As a member of ASEAN, it is ironic that Singapore rejects potential labour, right at its doorstep, and chooses to hire Chinese workers instead.

**** Time To Review Executive Rewards For CEOs And Political Leaders In Government-Owned Companies <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6982>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** Myanmar National Alleges Singapore Prison Beating <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/261576,myanmar-national-alleges-singapore-prison-beating.html>
by DPA

Singapore police is investigating a report by a Myanmar national that he was beaten up in a local prison, the Straits Times reported Thursday. Hong Guo, who served one year in Changi Prison and received cane strokes for slashing a taxi driver, was hospitalized with a head injury that required surgery to remove part of his skull last November.

**** Tourist Arrivals See Worst On-Year Drop In 6 Years, Down 15.2% In February <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/417898/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Singapore has seen its worst monthly drop in tourist arrival numbers in six years.

**** Singapore's Production Falls For Fifth Month Amid Global Slump <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a.sLbZ8KyhlA&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s industrial production fell for a fifth straight month in February, the longest slump in eight years, as shrinking global demand for electronics and pharmaceuticals forced manufacturers to cut output.

**** Teo Chee Hean To Be Appointed DPM From April, Dr Lee Boon Yang Retires <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/417924/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong will make several changes to the Cabinet and other appointments, as part of continuing leadership renewal and testing out of younger office holders for broader responsibilities.

**** Holy Shit, He Really Said That? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/03/holy-shit-he-really-said-that.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

The day they paid themselves millions, they made a mockery of national service and nation building. The damage is done! Whatever spin that they can come out with to justify their greed will sound hollow.

**** Malaysia Promotes Outsourcing In Singapore <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=399305>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama

**** Why Do Tiny Singapore Needs 2 Senior Ministers, 2 Deputy Prime Ministers, 1 Minister Mentor And 3 Ministers In The Prime Minister's Office? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7016>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

In this era where countries all over the world from the United States to China are trying to reduce the size of their governments, our cabinet continues to grow and expand at an alarming rate.

**** Singapore PM Gets His First Younger Deputy <http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-38720820090326>
by Reuters