[MyAppleMenu] Mar 15, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 15 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The Curious Design Departures Of The New iPod Shuffle <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2009/03/14/the-curious-design-departures-of-the-new-ipod-shuffle/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald

Perhaps even more surprising is the lack of the word iPod anywhere on the device.

**** Playfish Brings Social Gaming To Apple Mobile Users <http://cultofmac.com/playfish-brings-social-gaming-to-apple-mobile-users/9571>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac

**** Apple Sued Over Exploding iPod Touch, iMac Display Issues <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/14/apple_sued_over_exploding_ipod_touch_imac_display_issues.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Apple's build quality has been called into question as fresh lawsuits blame the company for an iPod touch that caught on fire as well as the widely-known vertical line defect on iMac displays.

**** Hit iPhone Developer: Not Making Any More Mac Games <http://www.businessinsider.com/hit-iphone-developer-not-making-any-more-mac-games-2009-3>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

Pangea Software has been making software for Apple's computer platforms since 1987. No more.

Why not? Because the iPhone app store has been such a huge success, the company is only going to focus its efforts on Apple's portable gadgets from now on, founder Brian Greenstone said during a panel today at the South by Southwest conference in Austin.

**** iPhone Apps Can Now Plug Into Facebook <http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-apps-can-now-plug-into-facebook-2009-3>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

Apple iPhone app developers will be able to plug into Facebook the same way Web sites have been able to for months.

**** iPod Shuffle For Those On The Go <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1476261,w-andy-ihnatko-ipod-shuffle-031409.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

The new Shuffle is out there doing its own thing, filling its own role, solving its users’ peculiar set of peculiar problems.

**** Maine Expanding School Laptop Program With Apple <http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQ7d_6fMBDkjm8Yr6IueJYMnLjuQD96TBP181>
by David Sharp, Associated Press

Despite the economic turmoil, Maine is expanding its program to provide laptop computers to students.

**** The iPhone Needs A Native Gmail Application <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/14/the-iphone-needs-a-native-gmail-application/>
by Jason Clarke, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

The iPhone needs a native Gmail application. There, I've said it.

**** Myanmar PM To Visit Indonesia And Singapore <http://www.zimbio.com/Aung+San+Suu+Kyi/articles/157/Myanmar+PM+visit+Indonesia+Singapore>
by Reuters

Thein Sein's itinerary has not been made public, but Singapore's Botanic Gardens said it would host an "Orchid Naming Ceremony" for Thein Sein on Wednesday, as part of his official visit to Singapore and Indonesia, a spokeswoman told Reuters.

Singapore, a strong U.S. ally and a growing centre for wealth management, has opposed sanctions on Myanmar and is believed to be home to the generals' offshore bank accounts.

**** Another WSJ Opinion, Another Court Case, Another Farce <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/another-wsj-opinion-another-court-case-another-farce/>
by Chemical Generation Singapore

Sure do whatever is Machievallian to “punish” the foreign media for their biased support of only Chee Soon Juan and not the other opposition giants in Singapore, however spiteful that so-called punishment is. Nevertheless, singling out individuals in WSJ for further raps on the hand is overkill, and therefore rather counter-productive in terms of Singapore’s political image.

**** Dr Teo Ho Pin's Curt Reply To Reader Draws Flak From Netizens <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6168>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

Dr Teo’s curt and condescending response drew sharp criticisms from netizens posting comments on Wayangparty blog lambasting Dr Teo for his bluntness and insensitivity.

**** Brown Urges End Of 'Tax Havens' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7943720.stm>
by BBC News

Prime minister Gordon Brown and German chancellor Angela Merkel have said the world has "no place" for tax havens.

**** ST Writer Makes Controversial Remarks On Domestic Violence <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/st-writer-makes-controversial-remarks-on-domestic-violence/>
by The Online Citizen

**** 黄埔区与甘榜精神 <http://seventhdusk.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/黄埔区与甘榜精神/>
by 七夕雨

**** Singapore Backs Healthcare To Heal Financial Trauma <http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=79711>
by Porimoi Palma, The Daily Star

As the global recession hits Singapore's manufacturing and shipping business, the government of the city-state now focuses on attracting more international patients to its world-class hospitals with competitive price offer to help maintain its economy.

**** Rude Immigration Officer Shouted At Visitor <http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20090315-128579.html>
by Md Asri Bin Haji Jamahri, New Paper

Please do not treat visitors like criminals.

**** Dead 'Unable To Rest In Peace' In Singapore <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hMW_Xml45e6sWuca-BoXWIU3Ttqw>
by AFP

"Ghosts are the same as human beings. They have feelings and emotions as well. How would you feel if you had to shift after living in the same place for 50 years?"

**** Rumoured 8-Month Bonus For CDC Staff Is 'In Line With NWC Guidelines': People's Association <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6399>
by The Wayang Party Club

PA’s explanation that it is free to implement any pay structure as it likes because it does not fall under the purview of the Public Service Division is disingenuous. Where does it obtain its funds from? As long the salaries of its staff are paid for by taxpayers’ monies, they are duty-bound to reveal their entire pay structure and bonus scheme.

**** Perhaps The Two CDC Staff Might Indeed Have Received Bonuses Of 8 Months?! <http://anonymousxwrites.blogspot.com/2009/03/perhaps-two-cdc-staff-might-indeed-have.html>
by Anonymous X

Sometimes, many of us just want to hear a straight answer without too elaborate an explanation. I know I do.

**** Dr Teo, Don't Worry, We Have A Solution <http://civicadvocator.net/dr-teo-dont-worry-we-have-a-solution/>
by Civic Advocator

As your job is to help people, I suppose you could have also taken the step beyond appearing on TV answering questions, to find out if it was true that your staff had received 7 months bonuses. If it is yes, then say yes. If it is no, then say no. Saying “I don’t know” kind of get me worried whether if you are on top of things at Northwest CDC.