[MyAppleMenu] Mar 5, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 5 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** An iPhone Remote For A Media-Center Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/139203/2009/03/air_mouse_pro.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Brightman, Macworld

Between Air Mouse Pro and the Apple Remote, I’ve managed to banish that keyboard and mouse from my living room forever. Now I can watch movies on iTunes, web videos via a browser, and just about any other kind of content I can think of, all while sitting on my couch with my iPhone.

**** Analysts: Mac Buyers Still Pay More Than PC Buyers For Same Hardware 'Guts' <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128968&source=rss_topic123>
by Eric Lai, Computerworld

With most PC makers slashing prices or embracing cheaper models such as netbooks, Apple could be dangerously out of step.

**** Five Fun Ways To Waste Time With Google Earth 5.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139176/2009/03/googleearth5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Diann Daniel, CIO

**** New Safari Browser Succeeds At Speed, Flops On Features <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090304/new-safari-browser-succeeds-at-speed-flops-on-features/?mod=ATD_rss>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

My verdict is that Safari 4 really is significantly faster than its rivals, but that its user-interface changes are a big disappointment. They either add relatively minor eye candy, are catch-ups to features introduced by rivals, or actually make the browser harder to use.

**** Perhaps If They Think Of Their Win Mobile Devices As Broken iPhones... <http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20090305/hard-to-stand-behind-windows-mobile-when-our-workers-want-iphones/>
by John Paczkowski, Wall Street Journal

We’re doing our best? Not the answer the questioner was looking for, I’m sure.

For years, the iPod is the best-selling MP3 player on the Windows platform, and Microsoft -- as a platform owner -- failed to embrace (let alone extend) the device. Now, we are seeing the same mistake with iPhone, just because Microsoft happens to have a competing product.

**** 'Diaper Dash' Game Latest In Task Management Craze <http://www.macworld.com/article/139222/2009/03/diaperdash.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

PlayFirst, publishers of the hugely successful casual game Diner Dash, have announced the latest game to round out the franchise: Diaper Dash, a game set in a daycare.

**** Password Generator 2.0 For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139209/2009/03/passwordgenerator.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by George Sun, Macworld

Thinking up a strong password when you need one right away is not always easy. Password Generator 2.0 for the iPhone and iPod touch simplifies the task of creating difficult-to-crack passwords for you by randomly spawning strings of passcodes based on variables of your choosing.

**** Streamline E-Mail With Gmail <http://www.macworld.com/article/138836/2009/03/streamlineemailgmail.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld

If you have lots of e-mail accounts, you can often streamline things by routing them through one account. Even though Mail and Entourage can check numerous accounts, having just one can simplify checking mail and filing messages (particularly if you use IMAP). It also makes checking your e-mail while you’re on the road easier (because you log in to one account instead of several). And if you use an iPhone, having one e-mail account means less tapping—unlike Mail in OS X, the iPhone’s Mail program doesn’t consolidate your inboxes in a single view.

**** Analysis: Green Data Now Front And Center For Apple Products <http://www.macworld.com/article/139133/2009/03/carbon.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Environmental impact now included on product information pages.

**** Review: Shivering Kittens For iPhone Ideal For Puzzle Freaks <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/03/review-shivering-kittens-for-iphone-ideal-for-puzzle-freaks.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

If you have ever found yourself addicted to Tetris, Bejeweled, Lumines, or anything of the puzzle game ilk, Shivering Kittens for iPhone and iPod touch is for you. Rescuing kittens has never been so addictive.

**** AirPort Utility Update May Be Problematic <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10124>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS

So the evidence suggests there's a bug in AirPort Utility 5.4.1 that prevents it from reading the configuration of existing AirPort base stations and Time Capsules, even when directly connected via Ethernet.

**** Yahoo! Launches Major Challenge To Facebook Connect <http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/yahoo_launches_major_challenge_to_facebook_connect.php>
by Marshall Kirkpatrick, ReadWriteWeb

Yahoo! Updates, the company's answer to Facebook Connect, became available on more than 600,000 websites today with the launch of a new partnership with commenting infrastructure company JS-Kit.

**** In France, A War Of Memories Over Memories Of War <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/arts/design/05abroad.html?ref=arts>
by Michael Kimmelman, New York Times

Even 46 years later, for the French the Algerian legacy is roughly akin to what the Civil War is for Spaniards. Everything to do with France’s colonial reign remains a flashpoint and open wound, above all the long and brutal war that ended it, but not least the legacy of the pieds noirs as occupiers or victims, depending on one’s perspective. Though often reluctantly, France is now confronting a history that it has frequently seemed as anxious to forget as, for many years, it was to forget the Vichy era.

**** When Grandma Can't Be Bothered <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/fashion/05grandparents-1.html?ref=style>
by Joanne Kaufman, New York Times

For every Marian Robinson, who retired from her job to take full-time care of her grandchildren, Malia and Sasha Obama, while their parents were busy with other things last year, there is a Judy Connors, who loves her two grandchildren but has no interest in Candy Land, peekaboo or bedtime stories.

**** Rethink JTC Hive-Off Plan <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_346042.html>
by Cheng Shoong Tat, Straits Times

**** Political Blogs More Sophisticated But Obstacles Remain <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/political-blogs-more-sophisticated-but-obstacles-remain/>
by Koh Yina and Teng Jing Wei

“People with opinions have always expressed their thoughts, but now, with the new media, they can bring it to a bigger audience,” said ambassador Ong Keng Yong, chair of the seminar on the political blogosphere in Singapore, held at the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS).

**** East Asia's Small Edens Of Trade Wilt As Need For Exports Dries Up <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/world/asia/05singapore.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Keith Bradsher, New York Times

As trade withers around the world and freighters sit empty at anchor, some of the most vulnerable economies are proving to be small, extremely globalized trading centers like Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan — and that is prompting a rethinking of their economic development strategies.

**** Why Ho Ching Quit <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_346206.html>
by Fiona Chan, Straits Times

"It's got nothing to do with bad investments," said Lee Kuan Yew, "because when you go in aggressively into the market you must take the knocks when the knocs come."

**** Judge Disallows Questions On CASE Protest <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2022-judge-disallows-questions-on-case-protest>
by Singapore Democrats

District judge Chia Wee Kiat disllowed the defence to submit video evidence showing a protest and march by the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE).

**** Online Civil Disobedience In Singapore <http://www.jamesgomeznews.com/blog/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=1>
by James Gomez

Online civil disobedience is an important concept to mull over because in Singapore’s short internet history, it possible to make the claim that online civil disobedience is a precursor to the current offline civil disobedience which is organised with the help of online mobilization tools.