[MyAppleMenu] Jun 25, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 25 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Undersells, Over-delivers On iPhone 3GS Speed - Report <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/24/apple_undersells_over_delivers_on_iphone_3gs_speed_report.html>
by AppleInsider

In controlled JavaScript Web site renders, the iPhone 3GS is nearly three times as fast as the iPhone 3G and Palm Pre, and 5.5 times faster than the T-Mobile G1, according to a new study, which also reveals that the iPhone 3.0 software alone has a dramatic impact on the speed in which an iPhone 3G renders websites.

**** Apple TV 2.4 Update Now Available, Updated Remote App With Gestures <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/24/apple-tv-2-4-update-now-available-updated-remote-app-with-gestures/>
by MacRumors : Mac News and Rumors

One particularly notable feature however appears to be support for the newest version of Apple's Remote app which adds touch screen gesture support for controlling your Apple TV.

**** Securely Wipe Your Hard Drive <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=57070bbb240d65bd8d187772ab20e4c3>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Review: MacBook Air (Mid 2009) <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=4a8007af22051c075bc6873ff6c076ce>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

Lower prices make Apple’s ultra portable more appealing.

**** HP Releases iPhone Versions Of Classic Calculators <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=1c903d6bc028de88572a86bcb6becc35>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Developer Warns Push Apps Not As Useful On iPod Touch <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2009/06/developer-warns-push-apps-not-as-useful-on-ipod-touch/>
by Tyler Tschida, AppAdvice

The problem with the iPod touch’s ability to receive push notifications is not only that it must rely on a Wi-Fi connection to receive the alerts, but it also doesn’t constantly check for the alerts while locked or asleep.

**** Is Apple 'open Enough' To Rule The Next Decade Of Mobile? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10271723-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET

For all the discussion of the importance of transparency and openness on the Web today, it's very telling that the world's fastest-growing mobile platform may also be the most proprietary.

**** My iPhone Is Dead, But Apple Customer Support Is Alive And Well <http://feeds.ziffdavisenterprise.com/~r/RSS/tech/~3/0BODKPH1UZg/>
by eWeek

John didn't ask for my driver's license to hold. He didn't make me sign anything. He didn't make me fill out a trouble ticket. Nothing. He just helped me get my iPhone back online. On one of the busiest days of the Mac year (the day the 3.0 software was released and the release of the iPhone 3G S only days away), I was up and running after intentionally killing my phone. All in less than a half-hour.

**** Apple's Vow Of Silence <http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/2533853/Apples-vow-of-silence>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald

**** Apple CEO And Investor Close To Deal To Move Historic House <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/5-0&fd=R&url=http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_12681581&cid=0&ei=NuxCSoaSKZfzmQeu4eSkDA&usg=AFQjCNGE48XRnjCRkiKJhpkxxhKhS69qWg>
by Jason Green, San Jose Mercury News

An agreement that would let Apple CEO Steve Jobs build the home of his dreams and save the historic mansion that occupies his favored site is ready to be signed, an attorney for Jobs and the Palo Alto-based angel investor who wants the place told the Woodside Town Council on Tuesday.

**** Why Did A Hospital Lie About Steve Jobs? <http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/24/hospital-lies-about-jobs-technology-forbes.html?feed=rss_technology>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes

A Memphis hospital said Saturday Jobs had never been a patient. Then they changed the story.

**** Fury As Apple Allows Porn On iPhones <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1195414/Fury-Apple-allows-porn-iPhone-time.html?ITO=1490>
by Claire Bates, Daily Mail

Family campaigners are furious over a new Apple application which allows teenagers to access softcore pornography via the popular iPhone.

I wonder if they are furious over Safari and Google too.

**** Porn Comes To The iTunes App Store <http://feeds.wired.com/~r/wired/index/~3/gSwmY_n-caA/>
by Charlie Sorrel, Wired

One of the main reasons for not buying porn on the internet (apart from the vast range of free content) is fear that the purveyors will rip you off if you give them a credit card number. With the Apple Store, your stimulation is just an easy, automatically-billed click away. This first foray is quite awful, but you can be sure that there will be more, and better, very soon.

**** When Will Steve Jobs Level With His Investors About His Health? <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/6-0&fd=R&url=http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/06/when-will-steve-jobs-level-with-his-investors-about-his-health/&cid=1379922623&ei=G39DSqinMNadlQeWv-ihDA&usg=AFQjCNEe3atXpQhvP-7-A0tZUuMpLpcevA>
by Fred Vogelstein, Wired

**** CliffsNotes Now Available For Students With iPhones And iPod Touches <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/8-0&fd=R&url=http://www.intomobile.com/2009/06/25/cliffsnotes-now-available-for-students-with-iphones-and-ipod-touches.html&cid=0&ei=No1DSuzUF5jbmQfBr8WVDA&usg=AFQjCNFlK3ccbsVy7fOqmtt3vF0sSbq6Xg>
by Dusan Belic, IntoMobile

**** The iPhone Software Revolution <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001280.html>
by Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror

I didn't write this to kiss Apple's ass. I wrote this because I truly feel that the iPhone is a key inflection point in software development. We will look back on this as the time when "software" stopped being something that geeks buy (or worse, bootleg), and started being something that everyone buys, every day. You'd have to be a jaded developer indeed not to find something magical and transformative in this formula, and although others will clearly follow, the iPhone is leading the way.

**** Simpler Data Visualization <http://feeds.technologyreview.com/click.phdo?i=a4da2a5abc320e5823093df2112d2b71>
by Kate Greene, Technology Review

Protovis aims to bridge the gap between computer scientists and visual artists.

**** And Data For All: Why Obama's Geeky New CIO Wants To Put <em>All</em> Gov't Info Online <http://feeds.wired.com/~r/wired/index/~3/63G_-kElxCs/mf_cio>
by Nicholas Thompson, Wired

The Obama administration's most radical idea may also be its geekiest: Make nearly every hidden government spreadsheet and buried statistic available online, all in one place.

**** Exit The Dragon <http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2009/06/25/asian_film/index.html>
by Andrew O'Hehir, Salon

Now let's jump into the way-back machine and return to the beginning of this decade, when Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" grossed $128 million and won four Oscars, blowing the old paradigm of possibility for foreign-language movies to smithereens. A new era of globalized East-West cinema seemed to be here. Just nine years later, "Asian movies are dead in America and no one cares," says Grady Hendrix, co-director of Subway Cinema, which runs the NYAFF. "We're right back where we started."

**** Seelan Palay Under Investigation For One Nation Under Lee <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2504-seelan-palay-under-investigation-for-one-nation-under-lee">
by Singapore Democrats

**** MPA Not Told Of Intentions <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_394895.html>
by Yang Huiwen, Straits Times

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said it had not been informed of any intention by a closely watched North Korean ship to call at Singapore's port.

**** MaxiCabs Now On Call <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090625-0000027/MaxiCabs-now-on-call>
by Alicia Wong, Today

Following a "surge" in 993 calls, the Ministry of Health (MOH) had activated its contingency plans on Monday by supplementing the 993 ambulances with MaxiCabs.

**** ICA Explains Causeway Bottlenecks <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_394981.html>
by Chia Hui Keng, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority, Straits Times

Mr John Ng's letter last Thursday ('Causeway bottleneck 1') pointed out that Malaysia faces the same traffic challenges, particularly during peak periods, yet it seems able to improve its system to ensure smooth-flowing traffic.

Travellers who used Woodlands Checkpoint over the past two weekends would have experienced traffic tailback from the new Malaysian checkpoint at Bukit Chagar to Singapore, which started as early as 8.30am and lasted more than half a day.

**** Fear Over Impact Of New Bridge <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/5-0&fd=R&url=http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/National/2591304/Article/index_html&cid=1379153404&ei=reNCSv75HtadlQeWv-ihDA&usg=AFQjCNHLZSdEy2NpDt0p3qjqqLB8ZssMNQ>
by New Straits Times

Datuk Abdul Halim Suleiman said there were already "too many" gateways to Malaysia from its neighbouring countries. Adding more could pose a risk to national security, he said.

**** Burger King Blows Its Marketing Wad <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/4-0&fd=R&url=http://www.reuters.com/article/bigMoney/idUS383377696120090624&cid=1378000114&ei=IPNCSrrrBNCdlQfSoIykDA&usg=AFQjCNHCjIg-MFBpoKzE1lskx0HfoVrPUg>
by Dan Mitchell, The Big Money

Burger King's increasingly obnoxious attempts to lure young dopes to its horrible food may have gone too far this time. Some (likely slightly older) dopes have come up with a print ad shamelessly evoking oral sex to peddle the "BK Super Seven Incher" in Singapore.

**** Blow Jobs, Burger King And Seven Inches Of Meat <http://www.sogoodblog.com/2009/06/24/blow-jobs-burger-king-inches-meat/>
by So Good

Not sure why the people who designed this ad thought it would “work.” Sure, it’s getting attention, but all negative.

**** David Family Feels Unfairly Treated By Singapore Court <http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&amp;ct=us/4-0&amp;fd=R&amp;url=http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/06/25/david-family-feels-unfairly-treated-singapore-court.html&amp;cid=1379685141&amp;ei=VQ9DSpOVNpGQ9QTk44WgDA&amp;usg=AFQjCNG7oGGD0caSb1qbKJ3tW0rOzagVrw>
by Jakarta Post

**** HOTA Changes To Be Implemented In Nov <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/438415/1/.html>
by 938 LIVE

**** Resorts World On Track <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_395291.html>
by Straits Times

**** Smaller Hospitals Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_395306.html>
by Straits Times

Smaller hospitals are the way to go, said health minister Khaw Boon Wan at a healthcare congress on Thursday.

**** Mas Selamat Not Extradited To S'pore Due To Security Reasons <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/438473/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) militant leader Mas Selamat Kastari is still being detained in Malaysia due to security reasons.

**** Singapore's Resorts World Cuts Visitors Forecast <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D991KE300.htm>
by Alex Kennedy, Associated Press

Singapore's Resorts World, which plans to open Southeast Asia's first Universal Studios theme park early next year, has slashed its 2010 visitor forecasts in the face of a global economic downturn.