[MyAppleMenu] Jul 31, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 31 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Removes Shake Software Extension From Online Store <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/30/apple_removes_shake_software_extension_from_online_store.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Speculation has arisen that Apple has discontinued Shake, its film digital effects and digital compositing software, after the application vanished from the company's online store.

**** VoiceCentral iPhone Developer Frustrated With Apple <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10299755-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Jim Dalrymple, CNET News

**** Power Manager Gives You More Control Over Your Mac's Schedule <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c25c376f291466c2bf17893c9628436e>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

Power Manager’s System Preferences pane lets you create multiple, customized schedules that determine when your Mac should be awake, asleep, or shut down, along with actions that can occur at specific times. Each schedule includes an action and a trigger—what causes the action to occur.

**** iPhone Support By Enterprise IT Groups Grows <http://www.cio.com/article/498552/iPhone_Support_by_Enterprise_IT_Groups_Grows_>
by Tom Kaneshige, CIO

One in four enterprises now supports the Apple iPhone, says a new Forrester survey on mobile support policies. Most enterprises support more than one mobile platform, including the reigning king, RIM's BlackBerry.

**** Developers Beware: Apple Undermines My6sense App Launch <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Venturebeat/~3/I8sPJIkJmG8/>
by Paul Boutin, Venture Beat

Developing apps for the iPhone can be a profitable business, but Apple’s review and approval process is still a black box. Apple’s intractable system can foil an app’s launch, as happened today for Israeli company my6sense.

**** iPhone Keeps Softbank Smiling In Japan While NTT DOCOMO, KDDI Stumble <http://www.mactivist.com/2009/07/iphone-japan>
by Mactivist

**** In Russia, The iPhone Is An Expensive Flop <http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/30/in-russia-the-iphone-is-an-expensive-flop/?section=money_technology>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Despite heavy advertising and early black market interest, Apple’s iPhone is an expensive flop in Russia, according to a report posted Thursday by Svetlana Gladkova.

**** EFF Takes Issue With Apple's Claims About Jailbroken iPhones <http://www.pcworld.com/article/169332/eff_takes_issue_with_apples_claims_about_jailbroken_iphones.html?FORM=ZZNR>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) took exception today to Apple's claims that "jailbroken" iPhones could cripple a mobile carrier network, calling the argument nothing but "a hill of beans."

**** WriteRoom Notetaking App Adds Web Syncing <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=9542dda0c31b1625d297bb7e8fca1777>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Why The Macbook Air Is So Great <http://putuandy.com/why-the-macbook-air-is-so-great/>
by John Walters, Zathink City Blog

**** iPhone Hack Exposed: The Key Facts <http://mashable.com/2009/07/30/iphone-hack/>
by Ben Parr, Mashable

The technical detail involved in the hack can be overwhelming, so we’re synthesizing it down to the key points – as well what you can expect. Don’t be alarmed, but be vigilant. Here’s the security breakdown.

**** I’m Furious With Apple And AT&T Right Now, With Regard To The iPhone. <http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/152606616>
by Steven Frank

But forget developers. You, the consumer, are getting screwed too. You are missing out on some great software that’s available on other phones on the same network, without issue, for no apparent logical reason.

**** Crazy Talk: Apple Should Ditch The Mac? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.zdnet.com%2FApple%2F%3Fp%3D4561&usg=AFQjCNGA6L1aA70p1_x2zbXGScmL6aQYaQ>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet

Is the success of the iPhone some kind of a sign that Apple should toss aside its computer hardware and software businesses and become a one-platform company again? A move that would make it totally dependent on the cycles of a single technology, again?

**** New China Unicom iPhone Model, Sans Wi-Fi, Given Approval <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/31/new_china_unicom_iphone_model_sans_wi_fi_given_approval.html>
by AppleInsider

Reports of regulatory approval of a new model of the iPhone in China seem to confirm that Apple's hardware will appear on the China Unicom network, and also suggest that a new model was created for the country of over 1 billion.

**** Luxor 3 <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1056>
by Charlie Fletcher, Inside Mac Games

I thought Luxor 3 was a tremendously good follow-on to the previous Luxor 2. It was great fun, and I found myself playing it for hours on end.

**** How Wolfram Alpha Could Change Software <http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/how-wolfram-alpha-could-change-software-248>
by Neil Mcallister, InfoWorld

The upstart "computational knowledge engine" claims its results are original works, raising important questions about software and intellectual property.

**** Out Of The Kitchen, Onto The Couch <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=283a60e7e09180901b06b6894e28fce3>
by Michael Pollan, New York Times

How is it that we are so eager to watch other people browning beef cubes on screen but so much less eager to brown them ourselves? For the rise of Julia Child as a figure of cultural consequence — along with Alice Waters and Mario Batali and Martha Stewart and Emeril Lagasse and whoever is crowned the next Food Network star — has, paradoxically, coincided with the rise of fast food, home-meal replacements and the decline and fall of everyday home cooking.

**** Once Upon A Time, A Real Leading Man <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=43b50f8a2d168f5893beee0ed6b4acea>
by Mike Hale, New York Times

Grant made more than 50 movies as a leading man, but the only thing that ties them together is that they starred Cary Grant, playing some version of his man-of-the-world persona, or of himself, which seemed to amount to the same thing.

**** It Never Rains In Temasek! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/07/it-never-rain-in-temasek.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

Even tens of billions of dollars were lost in investments (ShinCorp, Merrill Lynch, Barclays, ABC and lately Australand just to name a few) and vanished into thin air, there is not a tinge of contrition, remorse or regret for the losses from those responsible.

**** New Media, Political Flims, Open Society & Fair Play <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-media-political-flims-opennes-fair.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

We may not have built a strong national identity but we definitely have one common trait, i.e. political fear initiated and cultivated by PAP's four decades of autocratic rule. This is really the sad situation we are facing right now.

**** 16 Bus Operators Fined For Alleged Price Fixing On Express Fares To Malaysia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/445779/1/.html>
by Rekha Manoharan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Unfair Stance On Credit Cards; Banks Should First Do Utmost To Protect Customers <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_410268.html>
by Balwant Singh Boachoo Singh, Straits Times

Why should Singapore credit card customers be responsible if Singapore banks do not use their best efforts to protect them?

**** Here's What Happened <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_410401.html>
by Tan Shock Ling, Straits Times

As the individual mentioned in the report, 'Thieves use her credit cards to charge $17k' (July 13), I wish to share what transpired between the banks and me to illustrate how banks handle victims of credit card theft.

**** “广州要向新加坡学习” <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgold.hexun.com%2F2009-07-31%2F120118982.html&usg=AFQjCNHBePL0p3RlmqIAgVzJCBIONf3dFw>
by 黄鹏 张玉琴, 信息时报

在昨日的市委九届七次全会上,不管是上午的全体会议还是下午的分组讨论,省委常委、广州市委书记、市人大常委会主任朱小丹都先后提到了“新加坡”,记者注意到,其中不仅涉及新加坡的产业转型、城市管理,也涉及到了它的城市建设,他强调广州的城市管理和建设应向新加坡看齐。

**** SPH To Invest More In ‘Quality’ And ‘Credible’ Content <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11455>
by The Temasek Review

With the print media in complete control by the PAP, news articles critical of the government are hardly heard of in post-independent Singapore which explains the political apathy and ignorance of most Singaporeans.

If SPH is serious about investing more in ‘quality’ and ‘credible’ content, it should do more to improve its coverage on local political news in terms of objectivity, accuracy and fairness instead of its current lop-sided pro-government stance.

**** Singapore Employers Fire Fewer Workers Amid Signs Of Recovery <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fapps%2Fnews%3Fpid%3D20601080%26sid%3DaCnO2maERnXo&usg=AFQjCNE_OBoXL4sxuSo3YJI4YGz0c9BBew>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore employers fired fewer workers last quarter as the economy emerged from its deepest recession since independence in 1965.

Employers cut 5,500 jobs in the three months ended June, compared with 12,760 in the first quarter, the Ministry of Manpower said today. The Southeast Asian nation’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 3.3 percent, unchanged from the previous quarter. That’s better than the 3.7 percent median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey of economists

**** The Dearth Of Public Opinion In Singapore <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11452>
by Eugene Yeo, The Temasek Review

Prime minister Lee and his team should always bear in mind that their position, power and salaries are given by the people of Singapore. It is only right that we are given the opportunity to air our support or dissatisfaction openly for them to know.

**** Ho Ching's TLC <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a40ba572-7c9f-11de-a7bf-00144feabdc0.html>
by Emiliya Mychasuk and Emiko Terazono, Financial Times

Temasek ruler Ho Ching is sparing in any interest in investing in Europe, with the fund's most recent public foray in the UK resulting in a loss on a small Barclays stake.

**** Risky Business <http://sgpirategame.blogspot.com/2009/07/risky-business_30.html>
by Sg Pirate Game

**** Temasek Staff To Get No Bonus Or Less Bonus? <http://simplygab.blogspot.com/2009/07/temasek-staff-to-get-no-bonus-or-less.html>
by Simply Gab

"It is a tough challenge to share negative bonuses". You can't share zero but you can share less.

**** After 100 Years Of Self-Rule... <http://news.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090730-158054.html>
by Ho Kwon Ping, Straits Times

**** Government Resorts Deactivated As H1N1 Quarantine Facilities <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/445948/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The three government resorts which were used as H1N1 quarantine centres were deactivated on Friday.

**** Optimism Over Singapore Air Is Unfounded <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB124903610469896551.html&usg=AFQjCNG3qMBhgQJYRWmpPr0QMjcFSvydBA>
by P.R. Venkat and Mohammed Hadi, Wall Street Journal

It is difficult to understand bullishness about Singapore Airlines when the carrier itself is warning of a difficult year.

**** Malls In A Jam <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_410736.html>
by Straits Times

The latest shopping centre to suffer from traffic problems is Ion Orchard, which opened two weeks ago. The first couple of days, motorists griped about the nightmare of getting in and out of its multi-storey carpark.