[MyAppleMenu] Jul 25, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 25 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Installing Applications On The Mac: Still Broken <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/07/24/installing-applications-on-the-mac-still-broken/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

The concept of a disk image is hard enough to understand; there’s really no reason why we should confuse people by using them for things other than creating images of actual disks.

**** Apple Using Double-Standard For Gay iPhone Apps? <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=d5e8f3e38862b6dba6b91ffdfeadf08e>
by MacNN

Apple is maintaining a double-standard when it comes to gay-themed iPhone apps, a developer claims.

**** Build A Classic Wedding Slide Show In IPhoto ’09 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=c2a854bcb5d9e25c52f3c80750ecd8b5>
by Derrick Story, Macworld

We’ve all seen the wedding reception slide show featuring the happy couple growing up through childhood, dating, and then finally becoming permanently intertwined in each other’s lives. You can imagine how long it took an intrepid soul to build that production. But if you've used the Faces feature in iPhoto ’09 to identify the people in your photos, you can produce the same heartwarming tribute in just a few minutes.

**** The Tropics May Be Too Humid For Apple’s iPhone <http://cultofmac.com/the-tropics-may-be-too-humid-for-apples-iphone/13571>
by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

There are reports out of Singapore that high humidity is killing iPhones, but positive LSI indicators are allowing the local carrier to reject warranty claims.

**** Apple Releases ProKit 5.0 Update <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=bb9df83a53c06fb05aedb4a31233eaa9>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple on Friday released ProKit 5.0, an update to the software frameworks that underlies its professional software applications. The new release is available for download on Apple’s Web site or through Software Update.

**** Apple Restricts Latitude To Web App On iPhone <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10295121-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Erica Ogg, CNET News.com

Google on Thursday released a version of its Latitude mobile application for the iPhone. But Apple, curiously, has decreed that it be a Web-based app and not a native iPhone app, which has raised some eyebrows.

**** 手机消费欲望高涨的代价 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090725_014.shtml>
by 周殊钦, 联合早报

科技发展是永无止境的,抢在最前端购买新手机固然可令人一时“拉风”,但是能忍一时之痒者,往往才能占到最大的便宜。何况花了一大笔钱去买一只拥有超级功能的手机,本身却因操作知识所限,大多数时候只用来通话,是不是有点傻?

**** Palm Complains About Apple To USB Governing Body, While Pre / iTunes Sync "fix" Is Explained <http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/3C_rV8PEn0c/>
by Ross Miller, Engadget

While we thought the next round of the Pre / iTunes syncing fiasco would probably be something simple like Apple releasing another quick patch, Palm has stepped it up a notch by complaining to the USB Implementers Forum over what it sees is "improper use of the Vendor ID number" by the gang at Cupertino.

**** Apple's New Final Cut Studio Is Out (Short Version: I Am Impressed) <http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/24/apples-new-final-cut.html>
by Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing

Bottom line: normally I wouldn't be so jazzed about an application update, but as someone who's spent the better part of the last two years working on web video production, this struck me and other web video grunts in the room as "workflow-changing" (some said "life-changing!") and a nice big leap forward.

**** Thanks To The iPhone, 'App Fever' Is Spreading <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/07/apps.html>
by Mark Milian, Los Angeles Times

Everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie.

**** More On Installing Applications <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/07/25/more-on-installing-applications/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

The Windows installation method works because the user never has to show any kind of initiative after initially clicking on the download link; Windows always prompts you when you need to do something.

**** The Pushbutton Web: Realtime Becomes Real <http://dashes.com/anil/2009/07/the-pushbutton-web-realtime-becomes-real.html>
by Anil Dash

Pushbutton is a name for what I believe will be an upgrade for the web, where any site or application can deliver realtime messages to a web-scale audience, using free and open technologies at low cost and without relying on any single company like Twitter or Facebook. The pieces of this platform have just come together to enable a whole set of new features and applications that would have been nearly impossible for an average web developer to build in the past.

**** What's The Best First Language For A Programmer? <http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/whats-best-first-language-programmer-413>
by Neil Mcallister, InfoWorld

For young developers learning programming for the first time, curiosity and enthusiasm are more important than rigor and discipline.

**** Booting Up Baghdad: Tech Execs Take A Tour In Iraq <http://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/17-08/ff_iraq?currentPage=1>
by Steven Levy, Wired

As the CEO of MeetUp, Scott Heiferman usually spends his days meeting with staff and brainstorming product strategy. But today the 37-year-old New Yorker, wearing a combat helmet and armored vest over a black business suit, is crammed into a battered C-130 transport plane headed for Iraq. Military and diplomatic personnel aboard are warily eyeing him and the others in his party, all similarly attired, as the C-130 begins its steep, corkscrew descent into the Baghdad airport. And Heiferman is thinking, "What am I doing here?"

**** Titles Within A Tale <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=cdb8e20da2134fd285bd6f08130bb8fe>
by Ed Park, New York Times

Novelists have long tucked made-up fictions inside their real ones.

**** The Crossing: Swimming The Chesapeake Bay <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/17/AR2009071701791.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Meghan Gibbons, Washington Post

On land, I can brag about my athletic prowess. In the water, I have to prove it.

**** Journalists Refused To Cover The Petition <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2009/07/journalists-refused-to-cover-petition.html>
by Tan Kin Lian

**** CCTV Installed At Speakers' Corner <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/444612/1/.html>
by Alicia Wong and Kiersten Ow, Today

The police have installed a closed circuit television camera at Hong Lim Park, where protests have been allowed since last September. This is for "safety and security", said the police in a statement to Today, and these CCTVs "do not record audio inputs".

**** Give PSC The 'Real' You <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_407811.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Give us the real you, the Public Service Commission (PSC) has urged youths aspiring to be government scholars. In an open letter to schools, PSC chairman Eddie Teo described how some would give 'politically correct' answers and appear to be pro-government, thinking that would impress the interview panel.

In doing so, 'they often end up giving the impression that they have no integrity', he said Friday in a letter that spelt out how scholars are selected, the qualities the panel looks for, and how to prepare for the interview.

I guess all will now have think up a token disagreement, just like all adults have to rehearse a 'what's your greatest weakness' answer during job interviews. :-)

**** NSman Drops Protest <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_407877.html>
by Straits Times

A full-time national serviceman, who objected to having his hair cut and refused to eat camp food, claiming it was against his religious beliefs, was charged and sentenced to five days' detention.

**** 茶餐厅多元化 港台新马各具特色 <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk090725_001.shtml>
by 联合早报

源自香港的“茶餐厅”在四五年前正式登陆新加坡。经过这几年的发展,茶餐厅不但没像一些新概念饮食形态一样仅属昙花一现,反而越开越热闹,除了几年来在全岛四处涌现的港式茶餐厅,一些头脑灵光的业者,还抓紧这一股餐饮业的商机与时潮,以茶餐厅之名多样化发展,衍生出台湾茶餐厅、怡保茶餐厅,及由本地一些老字号饮食业业者开创的具本土色彩的“新加坡式”茶餐厅,将原本只属于“香港”的“茶餐厅”发展得更为形形色色。

**** From Head Start To Headache <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthestar.com.my%2Fnews%2Fstory.asp%3Ffile%3D%2F2009%2F7%2F25%2Ffocus%2F4378893%26sec%3Dfocus&usg=AFQjCNEsS3aylrGNRWIbeXkiAFjmzgkRDg>
by Seah Chiang Nee, Malaysia Star

However limited in number, these few high-profile scams are spreading far and wide across frontiers that could hurt the city’s image as a reliable, distinctive hub.

**** David’s Singapore Trial Fair And Transparent: Foreign Ministry <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/07/24/david’s-singapore-trial-fair-and-transparent-foreign-ministry.html>
by Ary Hermawan, Jakarta Post

The Indonesian government will not interfere with the verdict of the Singaporean coroner’s court, which is currently hearing the case of an Indonesian student who died at Nanyang Technological University in March, the Foreign Ministry said Friday.

**** Towards Closer Ties With PAP Women’s Wing <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/20090725012355/Article/index_html?FORM=ZZNR10>
by New Straits Times

Wanita Barisan Nasional hopes to establish closer ties with its counterpart — the women’s wing of Singapore’s People’s Action Party — in all issues including bilateral matters.

**** Political Parties Go Online To Extend Their Reach <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/444695/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's political parties are devoting more resources to the Internet to extend their reach.

**** Reminiscences On A HDB Point Block <http://s-pores.com/2009/07/hdbblock/>
by Ho Weng Hin, S/pores

The point block was literally and metaphorically the pinnacle of HDB living, where upgraders from slab-blocks with smaller flats would aspire to.

**** Once Bonded <http://s-pores.com/2009/07/once-bonded/>
by Yu-Mei Balasingamchow, S/pores

When I was 19, I inked my name on a legal document to affirm that I would enter upon and diligently continue in an overseas university course specified by the government of the Republic of Singapore, complete it to the best of my ability, then return immediately to Singapore to serve the government for a period of eight years (hereinafter called the ‘Bonded Period’) in any body or organisation whatsoever in any appointment which the government might deem appropriate.