[MyAppleMenu] Jul 20, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 20 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Building ‘For An iPhone, By An iPhone’ <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/shawnblanc/~3/RIeV4Puh4mg/>
by Shawn Blanc

The name and concept of For an iPhone, By an iPhone materialized one evening while walking home from the general store with my wife eating popsicles. After a few days of designing and coding, along with a few more popsicles, the site was launched.

**** Nimbuzz Arrives For Mac Desktop <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Nimbuzz_Arrives_for_Mac_Desktop/551-104421-643.html&usg=AFQjCNEhbDxM_JXLXl7Kv9jeT-XZQQCHZw>
by Techtree.com

**** Swapping Out The Apple TV For A Mac Mini <http://www.webomatica.com/wordpress/2009/07/19/swapping-out-the-apple-tv-for-a-mac-mini/>
by Webomatic

**** Leopard On The Loose <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB124786942628860361.html?mod=googlenews_barrons>
by Tiernan Ray, Barron's

I tried an early version of Apple's budget-priced upgrade, Snow Leopard. At first glance, it looks the same as the current Apple operating system, Leopard. But there are subtle improvements which could boost the appeal of Apple's iMacs and, even more, its notebook computers.

**** Why Japan’s Smartphones Haven’t Gone Global <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/20/technology/20cell.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times

The Japanese have a name for their problem: Galapagos syndrome.

**** Apple, RIM Outsmart Phone Market <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124805149501664033.html>
by Sara Silver, Wall Street Journal

No wonder they are called smart phones. Not only can these fancy phones send email, get directions and play music, they can generate huge profits for their makers.

At least for iPhone's manufacturer Apple and BlackBerry's Research In Motion. The two accounted for only 3% of all cellphones sold in the world last year but 35% of operating profits, according to Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff.

**** What If Apple Stores Billed By The Hour? <http://www.themaclawyer.com/2009/07/articles/office-management/the-legal-mac-what-if-apple-stores-billed-by-the-hour/>
by J. Benjamin Stevens, The Legal Mac

In law firms where lawyers are measured by the hours they bill, they are effectively punished for nonbillable time spent helping clients. Which is why people love going to the Apple Store, and hate dealing with lawyers.

**** iPhone App Store Roulette: A Tale Of Rejection <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/iphone-app-store-roulette-tale-rejection-773>
by Peter Wayner, InfoWorld

Apple's random rules for iPhone app approval are a recipe for trivial apps and alienated developers.

**** Apple's Latest Fortune: You Will Be Unusually Successful In Business. <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20090720/apples-latest-fortune-you-will-be-unusually-successful-in-business/&usg=AFQjCNG-70xPjQjgyFMt4FEmvfvqGNfmEw>
by Wall Street Journal

**** Review: SpamX 4.0 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=22935a848c87953ce9cfc1adf8ca115f>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Configuration and interface hold back effective spam fighter.

**** Mac Office Gets Service Pack Update <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10289844-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com

The free update, which is expected to be available later on Monday from Microsoft's Web site, is designed to improve speed and stability as well as add new features for connecting to SharePoint servers and to Microsoft's Office Live Workspaces.

**** One-Stop Social Media <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=22bbc3db095b0e6eed948a0d0fa0b160>
by James Dempsey, Macworld

>From Twitter to Flickr, EventBox puts all your social networking sites in one window.

**** Fever And The Future Of Feed Readers <http://al3x.net/2009/07/18/fever-and-the-future-of-feed-readers.html>
by Alex Payne

Social networks alone aren’t focused enough tools to bubble up and share quality content.

**** Invisible Flash Takes Photos Without The Glare <http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17468-invisible-flash-takes-photos-without-the-glare.html>
by Colin Barras, New Scientist

Dilip Krishnan and Rob Fergus at New York University created the camera in an attempt to do away with intrusive regular flashes. To make their "dark flash" camera, they modified a flashbulb to emit light over a wider range of frequencies and filter out visible light. The pair also had to remove the filters that usually prevent a camera's silicon image sensor detecting IR and UV rays.

**** Borland Eyes Agile Users In Test Tools Release <http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/borland-eyes-agile-users-in-test-tools-release-799>
by Paul Krill, InfoWorld

Silk 2009 upgrades make it easier to build and automate tests and are better suited for agile development than previous Silk tools.

**** Foie Gras Palates, Hot Dog Pocketbooks <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/weekinreview/19bruni.html?_r=1>
by Frank Bruni, New York Times

This elevation of what was once considered junk food to the subject of vigorous aesthetic analysis represents the convergence of two trend lines. The first is many Americans’ growing sophistication about, and fascination with, what’s for dinner (or breakfast or lunch): the variety of it; the vocabulary for it; where to buy the best this; how to cook the best that. More and more people seem to insist on deliciousness, and more and more seem to have readily articulated opinions to go along with that demand.

But they’re bumping up against a troubled economy and budgets with stricter limits. For food lovers and for the periodicals, newscasts and blogs that serve them (and are themselves cash-strapped), what’s the solution?

**** The Origin of Life <http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/feature/2009/3/the-origin-of-life/1>
by James Trefil, Harold Morowitz, Eric Smith, American Scientist

As we see it, the early steps on the way to life are an inevitable, incremental result of the operation of the laws of chemistry and physics operating under the conditions that existed on the early Earth, a result that can be understood in terms of known (or at least knowable) laws of nature. As such, the early stages in the emergence of life are no more surprising, no more accidental, than water flowing downhill.

**** Why We Say Yes To Drugs <http://www.salon.com/books/review/2009/07/20/this_is_your_country_on_drugs/index.html>
by Laura Miller, Salon

Resistance to mind-altering substances is futile, according to a new "Secret History of Getting High in America"

**** Banks, Battles, And The Psychology Of Overconfidence. <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/07/27/090727fa_fact_gladwell>
by Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker

Banks, battles, and the psychology of overconfidence.

**** Monja Blanca <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/07/27/090727po_poem_james>
by Clive James, New Yorker

**** The Five Wounds <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/07/27/090727fi_fiction_quade>
by Kirstin Valdez Quade, New Yorker

This year Amadeo Padilla is Jesus. The hermanos have been practicing in the dirt yard behind the morada, which used to be a filling station. People are saying that Amadeo is the best Jesus they’ve had in years, maybe the best since Manuel García.

**** At Lake Scugog <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/07/27/090727po_poem_jollimore>
by Troy Jollimore, New Yorker

**** Don't Be So Square <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/4sfPxYCLxiM/>
by Tom Vanderbilt, Slate Magazine

Why American drivers should learn to love the roundabout.

**** MAS And Structured Products <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/07/mas-and-structured-products.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

Do they have any recourse for MAS' delay and failure to act?

**** A Crash-course Tour Of Singapore In Less Than 12 Hours <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TymBlogsToo/~3/83HbSgS0ilc/crash-course-tour-of-singapore-in-less.html>
by Too Many Thoughts

**** To Fight For Bread And Butter Issues, We Need Democracy <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3424>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

As long as the PAP insists on governing in their interest rather than in the interest of Singaporeans, we will only be running around in circles, obtaining token concessions from time to time, but without the ability to compel the government to place Singaporeans first and take care of their needs in any substantial way.

**** When A Person With H1N1 Dies ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090720-0000065/When-a-person-with-H1N1-dies-,,,>
by Today

In the wake of Singapore's first H1N1-related death on Saturday, the Health Ministry has called on undertakers to carefully handle bodies infected with the virus.

**** When People Are 'Phased Out' Ahead Of Time <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,208246,00.html?>
by S Murali, New Paper

50 is young, and so is my friend. If he slowly fades into the background, it will be a loss for his employers and his colleagues, for many of whom he is a father figure.

**** Every Transaction Should Be Taxed <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC090720-0000018/Every-transaction-should-be-taxed>
by Gilbert Tan Hee Khian, Today

The tweak to property tax announced last week - from Jan 1 next year, individuals who have sold a property in the prior four years will be subject to income tax on any subsequent home sales - is more than equitable. In fact, taxes should be imposed on every property transacted irrespective of the number of times a sale is carried out.

**** KL-S'pore High-speed Rail Will Generate Economic Benefits <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&sec=business&url=http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/7/20/business/4346836&usg=AFQjCNGzAvOqHb3PjoSXa9vIFvlJe1W9qw>
by Malaysia Star

A KL-Singapore high-speed rail would generate more economic benefits than the double-tracking railway from Ipoh to Thailand.

**** Asia's Beverage Sector Fizzes Despite Downturn <http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE56J01S20090720>
by Dhara Ranasinghe, Reuters

In China and India, as well as smaller markets in Southeast Asia such as Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam, beer drinking is becoming a popular past time due to rising disposable income and relatively young populations who are embracing the party scene.

**** 当局加强取缔 被送劳改垃圾虫大增 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090720_003.shtml>
by 赵倩玉 林佩碧, 联合早报

本地垃圾虫有增无减,今年上半年的垃圾虫数量比去年同期多四成,而接受劳改的垃圾虫是去年同期的三倍。

**** 张志贤:雅城袭击提醒国人须提高警惕 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090720_010.shtml>
by 杨荣发, 联合早报

**** URA Keeps Rules Disallowing Live Music In Pubs Located Near Homes <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/443512/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has decided to keep the existing guidelines where live music and performances are not allowed in restaurants and pubs located in private shophouses near residential estates.

**** Singapore National Day 2009 <http://richineverysense.blogspot.com/2009/07/singapore-national-day-2009.html>
by Rich In Every Sense

**** 新加坡法轮功学员烛光悼念吁停止迫害 <http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/9/7/19/n2595252.htm>
by 大纪元

**** 台媒:台当局拟邀新加坡内阁资政李光耀访台 <http://news.ifeng.com/taiwan/1/200907/0720_351_1257897.shtml>
by 台海网

据悉,某位与马英九关系极佳的文化界人士,正低调拟洽邀新加坡内阁资政李光耀11月来台发表演讲,进行私人非正式访问,马政府高层知悉此事并乐观其成。

**** Are We a Nation Yet? <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-we-nation-yet.html>
by Hard Hitting In The Lion City

When it comes to nationhood, the people in the country need to feel a sense of belonging. They must live in the country and has an express willingness to continue living in the country. Singapore does not have that.

**** 53% Of Flu Cases In Singapore Are H1N1 Positive <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/443542/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The latest data by Singapore's health ministry shows that the country is well past the mitigation stage for the management of H1N1 flu cases.

Giving an update in Parliament on Monday, health minister Khaw Boon Wan said the virus circulating in Singapore currently is largely benign, with almost all patients recovering fully.

**** Singapore Sees Gradual Growth, Not V-Shaped Recovery, Lim Says <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQR8pphb0ze4>
by Shamim Adam and Haslinda Amin, Bloomberg

Singapore, which emerged from its deepest recession since independence last quarter, won’t have a “V-shaped” recovery as a rebound in drug and electronics output may falter, trade minister Lim Hng Kiang said.

Demand for goods from the world’s biggest economies in the U.S., Europe and Japan is still weak, and any pick-up in trade will be “bumpy,” Lim said in an interview in Singapore today.

**** Reputation Of 10 Financial Institutions Hit By MAS' Ban, Says Lim Hng Kiang <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/443585/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

The move to ban the 10 financial institutions (FIs) from selling certain investment products as well as the publication of detailed investigation findings have dealt a blow to the reputations of the institutions.

Deputy chairman of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), Lim Hng Kiang, said this reputational hit will affect how financial institutions do business, more than the financial impact from the ban.

**** Parliament Passes New CPF Life Plan With Aim Of Celebrating Longevity <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/443586/1/.html>
by S.Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** HK Vs Singapore… The Debate Continues <http://media.blog.brandrepublic.asia/davidtiltman/hk-vs-singapore-the-debate-continues/>
by David Tiltman, Media

Is it fair to say Hong Kong’s ad industry is in decline, and if so, is this due to a lack of investment by government, or does the blame lie with agencies themselves? Can Singapore’s superior infrastructure make up for what in many ways is a more conservative culture?

**** More Can Top-up Kin's CPF Now <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_405706.html>
by Straits Times