[MyAppleMenu] Jul 11, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 11 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Mac News Briefs: Squashed Software Releases RAID Monitor 3 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=94c50fbb8ab481f751643c93fb6aa848>
by Macworld

Also announced: Geotagalog and MacFamily Tree updates.

**** 10 Mac Apps That Make Windows Users Drool <http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/10-mac-apps-make-windows-users-drool>
by Chris Dannen, Fast Company

It's no surprise that in the nearly nine years that Mac OS X has been earning converts, -the Macintosh a decade after the first iMac has become a software honeypot luring Windows users from all walks of life. While some of the apps below have counterparts in the PC realm that aim to do a similar task, the apps on this list say as much about the Apple-inspired philosophy of interaction--elegant, efficient, easy, powerful--as they do about the ideas that drive Mac developers. Below, the apps that Windows users can only wish came in .exe.

**** From iPhone To Macs: Apple Appeals To Businesses Without Even Trying <http://feeds.ziffdavisenterprise.com/~r/RSS/tech/~3/Px14xL3Ni0I/>
by Don Reisinger, eWeek

According to ChangeWave Research, more companies plan to add new computers to their operations during the next quarter. Nine percent of those buying new computers plan to buy MacBook Pros for employees, while 7 percent of respondents said they plan to buy desktop Macs. If those figures hold up, Apple could capture its stated goal of 8 to 10 percent market share in the enterprise.

It's no small feat -- especially for a company that has never really cared about the business world.

**** Apple&#39;s MacBook Strategy: Optical Is Over <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.pcworld.com/article/168249/apples_macbook_strategy_optical_is_over.html&usg=AFQjCNHx5uYs0NeSKDPU0wyh-k4BTo3fKg>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

SD should be arriving on the MacBook Air and the regular MacBook in the next updates — and it might replace the DVD drive on the next MacBook.

**** Apple's App Store At 1 Is As Much Cultural Force As Business Success <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.crn.com/mobile/218401562&usg=AFQjCNHNrZoMhvXxhhDAk7C1C45nm-AARQ>
by Chad Berndtson, ChannelWeb

Apple's App Store for iPhone and iPod Touch is a year old this week, and even the most skeptical, jaded IT observers out there would be hard-pressed to deny Apple its due credit: the App Store has been not only a rousing success, but a bona fide commercial and cultural force, claiming almost as much limelight as the iPhone itself.

**** The iPhone’s Distinctive Dozen <http://www.macworld.com/article/141645/2009/07/appstore_dozenapps.html?lsrc=rss_news>
by Macworld

We asked our iPhone-using editors to name the most significant apps to appear on the scene since the App Store’s July 2008 launch and came up with a list of 12—one for each month that the App Store’s been open.

**** iPhone App Store Leaves Room For Bathroom Humor <http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/2009/07/11/0711appstore.html?FORM=ZZNR3>
by Ryan Kim, San Francisco Chronicle

When you have more than 60,000 software programs in your iPhone App Store, there's bound to be a few that are inane, useless or offensive.

**** Why The SD Card Slot In The Macbook Range Won’t Replace The DVD Drive Any Time Soon. <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ThomasFitzgeraldnet/~3/gVw5cCATyuo/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald

**** Where Am I? <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=b612483a6096980b42d40152b4dc2ad8>
by Jonah Lehrer, New York Times

While modern life is full of tools that keep us from straying off course, from Google maps to the iPhone, Ellard sees the need for such contrivances as a sign that we’ve already lost our way. We’ve become hopelessly disconnected from our setting, burdened with a brain that needs a GPS satellite just to get across town.

**** The Crab Houses Of Maryland’s Eastern Shore <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=28a8288821941c674345a4ae60e99c5a>
by Jordan Hruska, New York Times

Guttural charges from powerboats headed in our direction suggested that more of the hungry were en route from the Chesapeake Bay, where the calm, wobbling eddies were flashing with the day’s last rays of sun just beyond where I sat. Several larger groups of diners grabbed bottles of cheap beer from aluminum buckets and fried seafood from red plastic baskets. Nearby, in what looked like a modified gazebo, a rock band began its sound check.

**** Outside The House <http://www.todayonline.com/Comment/Analysis/EDC090711-0000051/outside-the-House>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

For all the clarity on the role of Nominated Members of Parliament (NMP) within Parliament - to provide independent and non-partisan views on a wide range of topics - question marks remain over what they can and cannot do, what they should and should not do, outside the House.

**** My, My ... Mr Cheng <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090711-0000095/POINT-OF-VIEWMy,-my-,,,-Mr-Cheng>
by PN Balji, Today

Let me quote from a letter he wrote to Today: "I joined YPAP in 2006 when I visited the Teck Ghee PAP branch with a friend, and I signed up out of curiosity. Due to many reasons, I never returned."

My, my ... what does this say of this intelligent young man who graduated from Oxford and wants to be a member of the highest and most august chamber in Singapore?

**** Kuan Yew's Half-Century <http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/7/11/focus/4292744&sec=focus&FORM=ZZNR>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Despite his advancing age, the world’s longest surviving national leader has become more assertive at home and abroad in the last two years, averaging one overseas trip every two months.

**** Why Indonesians Go To Singapore? <http://parvita.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/singapore-vs-indonesi/>
by My Busy Brain

**** Banned From Selling What Nobody Wants To Buy? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/07/banned-from-selling-what-nobody-wants-to-buy/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

The penalty for the 10 FIs in essence is a ban from selling structured notes for six months to two years. Given the likelihood that not many may buy such products after this saga, the penalty may seem to be rather light and inconsequential to the FIs.

**** 12,000 Foetuses Aborted In Singapore Every Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/441781/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

About 12,000 foetuses are aborted in Singapore every year and doctors say not enough people are using contraception, or are not using them correctly.