[MyAppleMenu] Jul 4, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 4 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Review: Xserve (2009) <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=781192c90903a45d8dceb2979983f3fc>
by Andrew T. Laurence, Macworld

New architecture yields better performance with less power and heat.

**** Employee Shot, Wounded At Virginia Apple Store <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10279096-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Leslie Katz, CNET News.com

An employee at an Apple store near Washington D.C. was shot and wounded Friday morning, police have confirmed. The victim, a 26-year-old woman, is currently at an area hospital recovering from a wound to the right shoulder. She is said to be in serious but stable condition.

**** Apple's iLife Takes Home Photo Albums To A New Level <http://www.siliconvalley.com/personaltech/ci_12736645?FORM=ZZNR7>
by John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News

It's the amateur photographer's management tool for digital pictures. But Apple's iLife multimedia software suite has some A-list users as well.

**** No Rest For The Wealthy <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=7fd445c66f14ddd918716b32d9362b55>
by Daniel Gross, New York Times

In the interest of understanding our suddenly imperiled passion for private jets and $5,000 handbags, I recently dusted off — literally — one of those classics, Thorstein Veblen’s “Theory of the Leisure Class,” published in 1899.

**** Down With THE CAPS LOCK KEy <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062602537.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Gene Weingarten, Washington Post

I'm not against things that are useless. Hell, I'm useless. I'm against things that are worse than useless.

**** More Boom For Changi <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_398694.html>
by Jessica Lim, Straits Times

Plans are afoot to transform the area around the historic Johore Battery and Abingdon Work Release Camp in Changi into a heaving hub filled with shops, restaurants and museums.

**** Seniors Can't Have Special Counter But ICA Will Help Them <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_398750.html>
by Chia Hui Keng, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, Straits Times

**** H1N1 Lab Test Costs $250 And MOH Absorbs That <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_398743.html>
by Karen Tan, Ministry of Health, Straits Times

Patients, however, have to pay the normal attendance fees at the hospital emergency department and ward charges if they are hospitalised.

**** Firefly Sees Growth From Singapore Routes <http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/20090703190111/Article/print_html?FORM=ZZNR>
by Business Times Malaysia

Community airline Firefly, which launched its Subang-Singapore flight this week, is confident of growth from all its routes to Singapore based on a 70 to 75 per cent load factor target set for each route.

**** 一则新加坡广告在香港引发回响 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090704_010.shtml>
by 联合早报

香港人对这种南洋价值开始羡慕的时候,新加坡年轻一代更应该捍卫这种南洋优良传统。

**** Bridge Too Far? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&sec=business&url=http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/7/4/business/4255117&usg=AFQjCNH4PudwiFLs1thgpD3HNWV3AZ_tig>
by P. Gunasegaram, Malaysia Star

**** Nothing As Solid As Land <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&sec=insightdownsouth&url=http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2009/7/4/columnists/insightdownsouth/4248394&usg=AFQjCNG6MZGhrHsKQRs1aO4e85Vn8LInGw>
by Seah Chiang Nee, Malaysia Star

Banking has now lost its shine. Emphasis appears to be shifting towards accumulating land-based assets.

**** Unemployment Likely To Be High <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090704-0000064/Unemployment-likely-to-be-high>
by Lin Yan Qin, Today

**** S'pore Confirms 34 New Cases Of H1N1, Total Tally Now At 1,003 Cases <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/440383/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia