[MyAppleMenu] Feb 23, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 23 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Quarter Of Apple iPhones &quot;Unlocked&quot;: Analyst <http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/science/story.html?id=f4aa0b79-b75c-4b58-bad8-6dda4993a268&;k=41881>
by Reuters

More than a quarter of people who bought Apple Inc's iPhone are using them on wireless networks other than AT&T's, the exclusive iPhone carrier in the U.S., a "stunning" number that will pressure the company's business model, an analyst said on Monday.

**** Android Vs. iPhone: Why Openness May Not Be Best <http://gigaom.com/2009/02/22/is-being-“open”-an-absolute-in-mobile/>
by Mark Sigal, GigaOM

The reality is that openness is just an attribute -– it’s not an outcome, and customers buy outcomes.

**** They Don't Do Windows <http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=217052&format=html>
by Crystal Schelle, The Hearld-Mail

Macintosh fans say 25-year-old computer brand is a way of life.

**** Screw Licensing OS X - Give Me An iPhone-Based Netbook <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2180>
by Christopher Dawson, ZDNet

I’ll leave Apple to keep selling $1500 laptops in a recession. No stimulus package could get me to give them a second glance with their current lineup.

**** Rejected! 10 iPhone Apps That Didn't Make Apple's App Store <http://www.pcworld.com/article/159887/rejected_10_iphone_apps_that_didnt_make_apples_app_store.html>
by JR Raphael, PC World

A 'throw shoes at Bush' app, a breast-jiggler, a naughty entry from the South Park guys&mdash;these are some of the iPhone apps that Apple unceremoniously denied shelf space.

**** Steve Jobs Health Concerns Swirl Ahead Of Apple Annual Meeting <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aVepnT3XR4ro&refer=home>
by Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg

Apple Inc. will hold its annual meeting this week without chief executive officer Steve Jobs, his first absence since he reclaimed leadership of the company more than a decade ago.

**** Hands On With An Imaginary Apple Netbook <http://www.macworld.com/article/138900/2009/02/apple_netbook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

Can a hacked PC laptop tell us anything about Apple’s future mobile devices?

**** Brainpipe Game Released For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/138965/2009/02/brainpipe.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Brainpipe is a colorful, psychedelic 3D action game in which you descend a tunnel filled with obstacles you must maneuver to avoid, while trying to capture glowing glyphs.

**** Analyst Reaffirm NPD Figures No Cause For AAPL Alarm <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/analysts-reaffirm-npd-figures-no-cause-for-aapl-alarm.ars>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

After several analyst reports caused Apple's stock price to fall by several points last week, two Needham & Company analysts issued a research note calling the price drop an "overreaction" and outlining several reasons why things aren't as catastrophic as they seem.

**** Do You Really Think Apple's Going To Take Business Advice From A Bunch Of Cheapskates? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3607>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

I can’t be the only one who’d tired of reading about the opinions of cheapskates who feel that Apple, for some bizarre reason, owes them a low-cost Mac OS powered computer. Read my lips: It’s not gonna happen!

**** Strung Out: Apple Loses "Pod" Trademark Down Under To Guitar Co. <http://cultofmac.com/strung-out-apple-loses-pod-trademark-down-under-to-guitar-co/8725>
by Nicole Martinelli, Cult Of Mac

**** Apple Can Make Money On $599 Netbook, Says Analyst <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128439&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

With a $599 netbook, Apple Inc. could move into a fast-growing market without cannibalizing existing sales and still make the profit margin investors have come to expect, a financial analyst argued today.

**** Why Microsoft Should Fear Ubuntu's Cloud Efforts <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10169249-62.html?tag=mncol>
by Dave Rosenberg, CNET

**** Go Figure... <http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/feb/23/algorithms-internet-google-amazon-itunes>
by Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

Ever wondered why traffic lights turn red when they do? How Amazon works out its recommendations? Or how Google prioritises its search lists? It's all done by algorithms - jealously guarded mathematical recipes that increasingly dictate how we lead our lives.

**** Exploring A 'Deep Web' That Google Can't Grasp <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/technology/internet/23search.html?_r=1>
by Alex Wright, New York Times

The challenges that the major search engines face in penetrating this so-called Deep Web go a long way toward explaining why they still can’t provide satisfying answers to questions like “What’s the best fare from New York to London next Thursday?” The answers are readily available — if only the search engines knew how to find them.

**** Are Markets Moral? <http://www.searchmagazine.org/January-February%202009/full-shermerexcerpt.html>
by Michael Shermer, Search

With stocks tumbling, it's time to think about how our brains shape the economy.

**** A Street <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/03/02/090302po_poem_cohen>
by Leonard Cohen, The New Yorker

**** Waiting And Finding <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/03/02/090302po_poem_gilbert>
by Jack Gilbert, The New Yorker

**** Why We Need Nursing Homes Here, Not In JB <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_341750.html>
by Ivy Tan, Straits Times

This is not an issue of market forces alone. It is about caring for our people who have contributed the best years of their lives to Singapore. It is about family bonding where children can visit their parents more often.

**** Singapore Says Kyoto Obligations Should Not Be Based On Wealth <http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1643126/singapore_says_kyoto_obligations_should_not_be_based_on_wealth/>
by RedOrbit

Chew Tai Soo, Singapore's chief climate change negotiator, said the nation was responsible for 0.3 percent of total global greenhouse emissions, but was falling under pressure to reduce its emissions simply because it is rich and had high per-capita carbon pollution.

**** 刘锡明:如果闪电大选 准备再战后港 <http://realtime.zaobao.com/2009/02/090222_34.shtml>
by 联合早报

新加坡《联合晚报》报道,后港基层组织顾问刘锡明今早在后港社区分派礼包给贫困家庭后,回答媒体询问时说,他在基层的工作从未间断,即使现在就举行大选,他和基层领袖已作好准备。

**** Electricity Prices To Drop <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_341865.html>
by Clarissa Oon, Straits Times

Electricity prices will drop again in the second quarter, most likely in the region of the 25 per cent fall in the first quarter. The hint was given by both prime minister Lee Hsien Loong and trade and industry minister Lim Hng Kiang yesterday as they addressed a tripartite forum with employers and workers.

**** Tale Of The Dumbest Singapore Website <http://sg-monologue.blogspot.com/2009/02/tale-of-dumbest-singapore-website.html>
by Singaporean Monologue

When the ns.sg was released, probably numerous criticisms were made, but I guess the SAF set aside two dollars for their budget to improve on their abysmal portal design, just enough to receive feedback from us and do nothing. And two dollars is probably the amount they paid those "professional web designers".

NS.sg is built by NCS.

**** Labourer Chief Plays Football With Depression <http://amortal.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/labourer-chief-plays-football-with-depression/>
by A Lesser Mortal

Can you guys remember the advertisment of that hardcore gambler trying to con his own daughter of her little savings for her little piggy bank? “Just one more time. Trust me. I will win it all back for you!” I hope we are not in that position. If leaders are still talking like that, we seriously need the Divine to help us now, really.

**** CapitaLand Pays Staff Bonuses In Shopping Vouchers <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSIN42679520090223>
by Kevin Lim, Reuters

Southeast Asia's largest developer and Singapore's biggest mall operator, will pay part of its managers' bonuses this year in shopping vouchers.

**** Singapore GDP Could Shrink By Over 5 Pct In '09 - PM <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/02/22/afx6080800.html>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

Singapore's economy could contract by more than a government forecast of between -2 and -5 percent this year if the global economy continues to shrink, the Business Times quoted prime minister Lee Hsien Loong as saying.

**** Flash: Lock Your Doors, The Stupids Are Here <http://www.thevoiddeck.org/index.php?itemid=436>
by The Void Deck

**** Asian Developers Delay Projects In Downturn <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jZyeMXqSinhSt7bu6pcBcXx_MspA>
by AFP

The simple sign announces "South Beach" and calls it "Singapore's New Lifestyle Quarter" but there is little sign of life at the collection of dilapidated military buildings.

The abandoned camp was to become a 1.1-billion-US-dollar luxury hotel, office, retail and residential project known as South Beach. Instead, it has become a symbol of the global economic downturn.

**** Singapore's Inflation Rate Eased Further In January <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/410930/1/.html>
by 938 Live

Singapore's inflation rate eased to its slowest pace in 16 months in January as oil prices fell and a deepening economic slump hurt demand for goods and services.

**** Government Building Capabilities To Tap On New Media At Next GE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/410954/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said the government is already building up some capabilities. But he added there is still a place for traditional media to be the trusted source of information.

>From YouTube to Twitter to Facebook, what's there to 'build'? Oh, maybe he is talking about the MPs, who need to learn all these newfangled stuff, and are still clinging on to old and obsolete beliefs.

**** Reserves - More Or Less? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/02/reserves-more-or-less/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Why can’t GIC’s losses be revealed like Temasek’s?

This government keeps too many secrets.

**** Singapore TV <http://talesacrossthesea.com/singblog/?p=191>
by Lara's Singapore Blog

We don’t have cable so we get the six channels that are freely available on Singapore TV.

**** Singaporean PM Asks News Media Not To Wear Western Spectacles <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/23/content_10879233.htm>
by Xinhua

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said there is a need for news media to present objective reports and not to wear "western spectacles", local media reported on Monday.

**** 1st World Singapore Like Anonymity In Cyberspace Is An Illusion <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/02/1st-world-singapore-like-anonymity-in.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

In their chase for money and pragmatism, my simple wish of being fed to the fish may not come true.

**** Police Testimony Crumbles Under Cross-Examination <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1967-police-testimony-crumbles-under-cross-examination>
by Singapore Democrats

In what might very well be the first of its kind, prosecution witness Mohd Hassan told the court that the charge written by the Attorney-General's Chambers for the WB-IMF protest was "incorrect".

**** The PAP's Evoving New Media Strategy <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/02/the-paps-evolving-new-media-strategy/>
by Gerald Giam

So now that the PAP is hopping onto the social media bandwagon, they can’t afford to rubbish the entire platform as being “full of” half truths and untruths. They now need to employ a “divide and rule” strategy: continue to discredit the unruly sites, and make positive mention of the sites that they either control (like REACH) or they feel they can live with (like TOC?).