[MyAppleMenu] Feb 15, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 15 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** A Sea Of Gaming Innovation <http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090213.WBwgtgameblog030120090213122426/WBStory/WBwgtgameblog0301>
by Chad Sapieha, The Globe And Mail

Who knew Apple had the potential to become such a boon to interactive entertainment?

**** Apple Owns 51% Of Mobile Web... And Growing! <http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/02/14/apple-owns-51-mobile-web-growing/>
by Rene Ritchie, The iPhone Blog

**** Life After Touch - How Will The Apple Patent Impact Innovation? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-10164377-44.html>
by Tim Leberecht, CNET

Apple has never been accused of keeping new ideas under wraps, but by securing their new patent for “multifunction” touch technology like pinch, rotation, and swipe, they have certainly rocked the boat.

**** How Google Decides To Pull The Plug <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/business/15ping.html?_r=1>
by Vindu Goel, New York Times

All of the shuttered projects failed several of Google’s key tests for continued incubation: They were not especially popular with customers; they had difficulty attracting Google employees to develop them; they didn’t solve a big enough problem; or they failed to achieve internal performance targets known as “objectives and key results.”

**** Do We Need A New Internet? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/weekinreview/15markoff.html>
by John Markoff, New York Times

There is a growing belief among engineers and security experts that Internet security and privacy have become so maddeningly elusive that the only way to fix the problem is to start over.

**** The Boom Is Over. Long Live The Art! <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/arts/design/15cott.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Holland Cotter, New York Times

The contemporary art market, with its abiding reputation for foggy deals and puffy values, is a vulnerable organism, traditionally hit early and hard by economic malaise. That’s what’s happening now. Sales are vaporizing. Careers are leaking air. Chelsea rents are due. The boom that was is no more.

**** I Want My Free TV <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/weekinreview/15schwartz.html?ref=todayspaper>
by John Schwartz, New York Times

This might be how we greet the digital television future: without television.

**** Open Says Me <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/06/AR2009020602088.html?wprss=rss_print%2Fwashpostmagazine>
by Gene Weingarten, Washington Post

I suppose it is possible that this packaging dysfunction is just about me, but I doubt it. In the breadth of modern history, can it be that anyone has ever been able to use a tube of Super Glue more than once?

**** McCulture <http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=502808>
by Aviya Kushner, The Wilson Quarterly

Americans have developed an admirable fondness for books, food, and music that preprocess other cultures. But for all our enthusiasm, have we lost our taste for the truly foreign?

**** No Frills Housing? Don't Have Upgrading Lor. <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/no-frills-housing-dont-have-upgrading-lor.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

It is indeed very interesting to me that some PAP MPs don’t seem to even understand rationale of the policies set by their own political party.

**** International Survey Says Singapore's Not Yet A Think-Tank Hub <http://journalism.sg/2009/02/15/international-survey-says-singapores-not-yet-a-think-tank-hub/>
by Journalism.sg

**** Asking Chiam To Step Down? Only Voters Should Decide <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/02/asking-chiam-to-step-down-only-voters-should-decide/>
by Gerald Giam

**** Foreign Workers Taking Up Non-Skilled Jobs In Government-Linked Companies <http://wayangparty.com/?p=5237>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

Instead of compelling companies to employ a minimum number of Singapore workers before they are allowed to employ foreigners, the government should consider legislating certain jobs such as those quoted above as “out of bounds” to foreigners.

**** Isn't It About Time We Took Our Business Elsewhere? <http://gangasudhan.com/blog/2009/02/isnt-it-about-time-we-took-our-business.html>
by My Thoughts...

**** Retiring In Johor Bahru <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/21232>
by Sinchew

During the recent CNY festive season, Singapore's health minister Khaw Boon Wan made a quiet and unannounced "visit" to a medical institution in Johor Bahru's Iskandar Development Zone, where he met a Singaporean who will soon build a 200-bed nursing home there.

Khaw's proposal couldn't have sounded more practical and realistic. Nevertheless, he soon came under harsh criticisms from the city-state's opposition lawmakers, who ridiculed him for recommending cheaper nursing homes in JB in a gesture that seemed to admit that medical costs were excessively high in the country.

**** Our Sacred Reserves! <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/02/our-sacred-reserves.html>
by My Singapore News

When our reserves are near to a point of being untouchables, our investment policies must be one that matches the stringent criteria of protecting our reserves to ensure that it would not be washed out for any investing mistakes.

**** Parliament Unbound <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/02/parliament-unbound/>
by The Online Citizen

Recent proceedings have laid bare the need for greater accountability.

**** Depressing To Be Left In JB Nursing Homes <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,192990,00.html>
by Brian Miller, New Paper

For want of a better word, I'd say it's cruel. You shouldn't do that to a pet. And you don't do that to the people you love.