[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 13 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Apple Releases Security, Java Updates <http://www.macworld.com/article/138808/2009/02/security_update_2009001.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

Among the fixes in Security Update 2009-001 are a patch for the Safari RSS vulnerability demonstrated by developer Brian Mastenbrook last January. Also fixed were a denial of service vulnerability in AFP server, a flaw in CoreText that could allow maliciously crafted Unicode content to execute arbitrary code, and a security hole that could let other local users access a user’s Downloads folder, and several other vulnerabilities.

**** Review: Days Of Thunder For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/138807/2009/02/daysofthunder.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

All in all, Days of Thunder is a hoot to play. The graphics are quite good, the sound effects are well done, and the game play is entertaining.

**** Apple To Showcase Top iPhone Apps, Games At Retail Stores <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/12/apple_to_showcase_top_iphone_apps_games_at_retail_stores.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

As part of a software-oriented reorganization of its worldwide retail chain, Apple plans to start highlighting some of the App Store's most popular offerings by equipping demo units with the shop's most downloaded games and applications on a regular basis.

**** Hands-On With Apple's Earphones With Remote And Mic <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/hands-on-with-a.html>
by Charlie Sorrel, Wired

For me, these are worth the money just for the remote. It makes it way more convenient to walk around listening to music and podcasts. If you want better quality than the stock buds, though, you won't find it here.

**** A $99 iPhone Isn't Worth It <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10162469-1.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET

I realize we're in an economic recession and offering products at a discount can be a smart move in today's environment, but when we look at the $99 iPhone with some long-term perspective, I'm not convinced it's a deal.

**** Together In Harmony: Mac And PC <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10162372-1.html>
by Rafe Needleman, CNET

Now that I'm learning to live with the Mac, I can see why people like it. It's slicker, smoother, more enjoyable to use. I did learn the hard way, though, that moving from the PC to Mac is not something you can do overnight, nor in some cases at all&mdash;not if you want to maintain productivity. But if you have to use both platforms, it is possible to set up a system that not only lets you take advantage of the best of each world, but brings those worlds together in a way that makes them, just slightly, more than the sum of their parts.

**** Apple's App Store Turning Carriers Into Dumb Pipes <http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-app-store-nudging-carriers-into-dumb-pipe/>
by James Quintana Pearce, MocoNews.net

Are mobile carriers destined to be traffic cops rather than content and services companies?

**** Apple Says iPhone Jailbreaking Is Illegal <http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/apple-says-jailbreaking-illegal>
by Fred von Lohmann, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Jailbreaking an iPhone constitutes copyright infringement and a DMCA violation, says Apple in comments filed with the Copyright Office as part of the 2009 DMCA triennial rulemaking. This marks the first formal public statement by Apple about its legal stance on iPhone jailbreaking.

**** Review: Movie Outline 3.0.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138761/2009/02/movieoutline3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tim Haddock, Macworld

Easy-to-use software helps novice screenwriters with story structure.

**** iDisk File Share Feature Now Activated Via MobileMe <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/mobileme-idisk-file-sharing-feature-now-activated.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The long-promised iDisk file-sharing feature has finally been activated, making sharing large files with your MobileMe account a snap.

**** Review: Artist's Touch For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/138825/2009/02/artiststouch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tim Mercer, Macworld

Artist’s Touch allows even the most inartistic person to produce beautiful paintings while providing realistic tools to those who are more creative.

**** Apple Sued Over Screen Rendering Technology In iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/138839/2009/02/picsel.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

In the suit, filed in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Picsel Technologies claims that the rendering process Apple uses on the iPhone violates Piscel's patents. Specifically, Picsel said its technology accelerates the process of updating the display on a device.

**** The H-1B Visa Has Got To Go <http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2009/02/h1b_has_got_to.html>
by Bill Snyder, InfoWorld

With more than 200,000 tech workers on the unemployment line, there's no longer any reason to look abroad for employees.

**** Roget In Love <http://www.slate.com/id/2211163/?from=rss>
by Hart Seely, Slate

What happens when there are too many ways to say "I love you."

**** Forgiveness And Irony <http://www.city-journal.org/2009/19_1_the-west.html>
by Roger Scruton, City Journal

What makes the West strong.

**** The Global Economy: A Patient On Life-Support. Lessons For GIC &amp; Temasek, And The Finance Ministry <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2225>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

We need honest admissions of mistakes, greater accountability and transparency in the accumulation and investment of our reserves, and concrete plans to provide substantial and immediate aid for the poor and underprivileged.

**** Helping The Jobless: No To Unemployment Cash, CPF Withdrawal <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_337583.html>
by Albert Tye, Straits Times

People must know that in good times, they have to save for a rainy day, rather than spend lavishly on what they can do without. If they want to enjoy during good times, can they rightfully ask for taxpayers' money at the first sign of recession?

**** Whatever Happened To That CNY Chingay? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_337637.html>
by Nge Tuck Long, Straits Times

With 5,000 years of culture to mine, there should not be a shortage of imaginative offerings.

**** Singapore's DBS Profit Misses Forecast On Bad Debt Rise <http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUKSIN43122720090213>
by Saeed Azhar, Reuters

Singapore's DBS Group, Southeast Asia's biggest bank, suffered a bigger-than-expected 40 percent drop in quaterly profit, hit by an increase in bad debt provisions.

**** Why Singapore Shouldn't Have Handouts <http://www.eternal-hap.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-spore-shouldnt-have-handouts.html>
by Making History Relevant

I think a social safety net is possible for these hard-luck cases. Even if we don’t implement such a social safety net, perhaps we can do means-testing, to determine if who genuinely requires help.

**** No Ghosts, Lots Of History, On Spooky Singapore Tour <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE51C11F20090213>
by Rina Ota, Reuters

Don't take the Singapore Spooky Tour expecting to see ghosts, but those seeking an old-fashioned thrill in this modern state are likely to get it through insights into abandoned sites and ancient practices. The tour is conducted by the Asia Paranormal Investigators who spend most of their time poring over legal texts and archives to unravel the beliefs and confusion surrounding supposedly paranormal phenomena.

**** GIC Lost 41%? Accountability Please <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/02/gic-lost-41-accountabiliity-please.html>
by Goh Meng Seng

**** Retailers Seek GST Cut <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_337882.html>
by Straits Times

Singapore's retailers are asking the government to lower the goods-and-services tax (GST) to help draw shoppers as the economy economy faces its worst-ever recession, the Singapore Retailers Association said.

**** December Retail Sales Down 1.6% On-Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/408817/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Retail sales in Singapore fell 1.6 per cent on-year in December. The largest drops came from the sales of watches &amp; jewellery, furniture &amp; household equipment and wearing apparel &amp; footwear.

**** CPF LIFE Plans Reduced From 12 To Four <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/408827/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The CPF Board has decided to reduce the number of CPF LIFE plans from 12 to four. And the payouts for all the four plans will start from the age of 65.

**** Stricter S-Pass Criteria <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_337959.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times

The government will tighten the criteria for semi-skilled workers coming to Singapore.