[MyAppleMenu] Dec 13, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 13 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** AT&T Takes The Blame, Even For The iPhone’s Faults <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/business/13digi.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Randall Stross, New York Times

Despite evidence that suggests Verizon provides superior cellphone service, an independent assessment proves otherwise.

**** Graphics Issues Force Apple To Delay iMac Orders, Resellers Report <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142199/Graphics_issues_force_Apple_to_delay_iMac_orders_resellers_report>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Apple has delayed shipping new 27-in. iMacs until it can figure out the cause of flickering screens and other display problems, according to reports from authorized resellers.

**** Apple Says Audiobooks Must Have DRM <http://torrentfreak.com/apple-says-audiobooks-must-have-drm-091212/>
Ben Jones, TorrentFreak

Audio DRM has all but dissapeared from MP3s. Apple said earlier this year that there would be no more DRM on music available via the ITunes music store. However, as prolific writer and blogger Cory Doctorow has found out, they still require DRM on their Audiobooks.

**** Review: Bioshock <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=cb21a60bc3e9c3327f5624de3500eda7>
Chris Holt, Macworld

Bioshock was the breakout first person shooter of 2007 and has become arguably the most anticipated port to come to the Mac platform this year.

**** Worth Reading AT&T And iPhone <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20091213152228:39E6879C-E825-11DE-826A-E89861A3BE05/>
David P. Reed, IP

Measurements of latency on ATT's network in several cities (not using an iPhone, but a 3G modem) do not bear out the claim by Randall Stross, the NYT reporter, that it's the iPhone's air interface.

**** Who Do You Believe, Randall Stross Or Your Own Lying Eyes? <http://daringfireball.net/2009/12/stross_lying_eyes>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

If it’s the iPhone’s fault, not AT&T’s, why aren’t iPhone users around the world having the same problems as those here in the U.S.?

**** Is Technology Dumbing Down Japanese? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/books/review/EParker-t.html?_r=1>
Emily Parker, New York Times

Now the Japanese language is being transformed by blogs, e-mail and keitai shosetsu, or cellphone novels. Americans may fret over the ways digital communications encourage sloppy grammar and spelling, but in Japan these changes are much more wrenching.

**** My Vote Counts: 10 Reasons Why I Cannot Vote For The PAP In The Next Election <http://yaevlejunce.wordpress.com/2009/12/12/my-vote-counts-10-reasons-why-i-cannot-vote-for-the-pap-in-the-next-election/>
Yaevlejunce Pilgrimage

**** Singaporeans And Apathy <http://p65.sg/newp65/2009/12/13/singaporeans-and-apathy/>
Khartini Khalid, The P65 Blog

Allowing greater space for engagement, and developing a higher level of tolerance for criticisms and feedback will help Singapore “engineer” a better society, and hopefully, a less apathetic one at that.

**** Young PAP Bars User <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_466064.html>
Rachel Chang, Straits Times

Mr Alex Tan has been banned from the page until he agrees to 'abide by the rules', according to a message sent to him on Nov 29 by the administrators, who are members of the Young PAP (YP).

**** So Much To Do, You Might Miss The Plane <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/11/AR2009121102150.html>
Liz Sinclair, Washington Post

If anyone had told me that after 12 hours in an airport I'd be running to catch my flight because I almost missed the last boarding call, I never would have believed them.

**** Alex Tan Barred By YPAP... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/12/alex-tan-barred-by-ypap.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind

Alex Tan is not apathetic. If the PAP and the media it controls makes an example of him by smearing his character, the rest of us will probably stay anonymous, keep quiet and mind our own business.

**** Cycling On Footpaths Will Be Allowed In Tampines Next Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1024539/1/.html>
Maggie Chong, Channel NewsAsia

Under the new by-laws, Tampines Town Council will be able to take action against cyclists for reckless behaviour such as speeding on footpaths and endangering the lives of pedestrians, not dismounting from their bicycles in crowded areas and not stopping at the traffic lights.

**** Defending What's (Y)ours! National Service Deaths And Grievances <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2009/12/defending-whats-yours-national-service.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

If you want to write a long essay expressing your loss of faith in NS, don’t do it. Just put all your feelings into one sentence, like “I don’t like the idea of NS, don’t support it, and have no faith in it” for example.

**** HDB Flat Value Will Rise As Long As Economy Grows: MM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1024558/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia