[MyAppleMenu] Dec 11, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 11 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Free Speech (Recognition) <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/free-speech-recognition/>
David Pogue, New York Times

Overall, this is an amazingly fast, impressively accurate 1.0 effort. It has plenty of room to grow; right now, it’s bare-bones and simple.

**** 25th Annual Editors' Choice Awards: The Complete List <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=04b8e3ec4b2143750e44273d64b1a9b0>
Macworld

We nominated, we debated, and then we whittled the list down to these: the 23 best Mac products of the year.

**** The Floodgates Open For 3G Video Broadcasting On iPhone <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/V7-rU035zFY/are-the-floodgates-opening-for-3g-video-broadcasting-on-iphone.ars>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

More streaming video apps, capable of broadcasting live over 3G networks, are coming to Apple's App Store, even as AT&T continues to blame iPhone users for hogging network bandwidth. It seems that AT&T wants to let you have your cake—and charge you full price for it—as long as you don't eat it all.

**** Safe Fonts: Conquering The Cross-platform Divide <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=dc1671db84356265f4f05b3a8d10f97f>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

Font sharing across platforms, and even between previous Mac operating systems, can be tricky. Here are some of the problems you might encounter and some suggestions on how to solve them.

**** Some Tips When Visiting The Genius Bar <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/10/some-tips-when-visiting-the-genius-bar/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

Be patient, be aware, come prepared -- do those things and your unfortunate trip to the Genius Bar may not be in vain.

**** New iMac Screens Cracking And Flickering <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10829?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Doug McLean, TidBITS

**** Just Released: Tinderbox 5 <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/8N6B30svbXg/23209>
Giles Turnbull, Cult of Mac

Eastgate Systems has just announced Tinderbox 5, a major update to its venerable note-taking application. “Note-taking” hardly covers it, though. Tinderbox is uniquely flexible and adaptable, in a league of its own when compared with all the other OS X notebooks.

**** Does Apple Need To Refresh iTunes? Probably <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28346>
Larry Dignan, ZDNet

Streaming is coming around. And it’s even possible that subscription services will gain popularity. If Apple were to simply copy Microsoft’s Zune Pass subscription model it would have a hit.

**** Apple Files Motion Arguing Why Injunction Against Psystar Should Include Rebel EFI <http://www.edibleapple.com/apple-files-motion-arguing-why-injunction-against-psystar-should-include-rebel-efi/>
Edible Apple

**** Check Point Full Disk Encryption Arrives For Snow Leopard <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/12/10/software.encrypts.every.part.of.a.disk/>
MacNN

**** Apple, Google Vie For Start-Ups <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703514404574588091065805108.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection>
Jessica E. Vascellaro And Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

Google Inc. and Apple Inc., which have long thrived without treading on one another's turf, are vying to acquire some of the same Silicon Valley start-ups and developing products that put themselves in more direct competition.

**** The Freewares of 2009 <http://www.mathdittos2.com/ednews/features/f091211.html>
Steve Wood, Educators' News

**** Spending Time With Magic Mouse <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2009/12/11/spending-time-with-magic-mouse/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ThomasFitzgeraldnet+%28thomas+fitzgerald.net%29>
Thomas Fitzgerald

Having had the mouse for about two weeks now I would find it very hard to go back to my old mighty mouse. It’s just so natural and feels like an extension of your hand. By comparison the mighty mouse now feels bulky and uncomfortable. This certainly is a triumph of engineering for Apple and hopefully they can finally put the “Apple can’t make a good mouse” meme to bed once and for all.

**** BioShock <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1074>
Franklin Pride, Inside Mac Games

**** The iPhone Moves From The Quad To The Classroom <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10413590-260.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Erica Ogg, CNET News

College courses teaching how to make and market applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch are on the rise.

**** Apple Said To Be Looking Into Reported iTunes 9 iPod Sync Issues <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/11/apple_said_to_be_looking_into_reported_itunes_9_ipod_sync_issues.html>
AppleInsider

After various claims of iTunes 9 sync causing crashes and other issues with some iPods, Apple is reportedly looking into the matter for a potential fix.

**** Apple Files Countersuit Against Nokia <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/11/apple_files_countersuit_against_nokia.html>
AppleInsider

The battle between cell phone makers Apple and Nokia escalated Friday, as Apple announced that it has filed a countersuit alleging the Finnish company has infringed on 13 patents.

**** Mac Gems Of The Year (2009) <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=59f1250cd270d4f57cd0e00acd8c0230>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** An Alarm Clock That Understands <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=27aa6e368fc2cd6c1b37dc7a9df037cb>
Eric A. Taub, New York Times

Why would you want a voice activated clock? If you’ve ever tried to set the alarm on a hotel’s clock radio as you’re falling asleep, you could appreciate this type of product.

And if you’re blind or have very limited sight, setting a clock by simply speaking commands (and then having the time read to you) could be a godsend.

**** An Insurrection <http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/an-insurrection/>
Jonathan Woods, 3:AM Magazine

**** Articles Of Faith <http://www.slate.com/id/2238088/?from=rss>
Dahlia Lithwick, Slate Magazine

Why Americans can't talk about religion and the Supreme Court.

**** Good Governance Allows S'pore To Handle Opportunities, Challenges <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1023949/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Law minister K Shanmugam said he is strongly optimistic about Singapore's future and its ability to tap into the region's tremendous growth opportunities. And this, he said, requires good governance.

**** MM Lee Says Having Younger Politicians Create Better Results For S'pore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1023973/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew said having a system where younger politicians are allowed to take office can create better results for the country.

**** The Sobering View Of An Ex-ISD Officer <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2009/12/sobering-view-of-ex-isd-officer.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

**** To Co-opt Or Not To Co-opt? <http://kelvinteowrites.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/to-co-opt-or-not-to-co-opt/>
Kelvin Teo Writes

**** Reforming The NMP Scheme <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/12/reforming-the-nmp-scheme/>
Kelvin Teo, The Online Citizen

**** Singapore And HBD <http://www.halfsigma.com/2009/12/singapore-and-hbd.html>
Half Sigma

Apparently, Singapore is the only nation pursuing HBD-aware policies, and the results have been pretty good.

**** Has PAP Rule Led To Apathy? <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_465306.html>
Zakir Hussain & Rachel Chang, Straits Times

**** “冷静日”会出现“暗流汹涌”吗? <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091211_007.shtml>
林如兴, 联合早报

一个看似冷静的日子,却隐藏着更多不冷静的汹涌澎湃的暗流。如此一来,执政党也可能承受新政策的反效果。冷静日就可能使得选举更加缺乏公平竞争和“冷静”了。

**** “冷静日”有必要吗 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091211_006.shtml>
陈汉豹, 联合早报

问题是,冷静日的设立是否有此需要?是堪称明智之举抑或是多此一举?是否会让人置疑政府的动机?

**** Seriously Dei, What Is Shanmugam Talking About? <http://seelanpalay.blogspot.com/2009/12/shanmugam-oh-shanmugam.html>
Seelan Palay

**** Super Singapore President! <http://singapore-lighthouse.blogspot.com/2009/12/super-singapore-president.html>
Singapore Social and Political Thoughts

I am asking myself, is our government too protective of Singaporeans? Or they are taking away our rights to vote and install a walk over president?

**** SDP Repeats Call To Abolish Mandatory Death Penalty <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3177-sdp-repeats-call-to-abolish-mandatory-death-penalty>
Singapore Democrats

This is why actions of Singaporeans who want to see the abolition of this senseless taking of the lives of small-time drug peddlers must continue.

**** Basic Military Training: What Your Mama Never Prepared You For <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2009/12/basic-military-training-what-your-mama.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FOnPU+%28Military+Life%29>
Military Life: Memoirs of a Conscript in the Lion City

Should our sons be bound by the same compact even as 34% of the population are not bound?

**** GIC Recovers Losses, Makes Significant Changes To Asset Allocation <http://www.theasset.com/article/17507.html>
Bayani S Cruz, The Asset