[MyAppleMenu] Dec 5, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 5 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Is The App Store Growing Unwieldy? <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=d4499101e1671de840aa60d9bb750654>
Matt Peckham, PC World

If the App Store continues to swell at its current rate, how will users be able to discover great new apps among all that volume?

**** Apple's New Mouse Is Nothing Short Of Magic <http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/iphone-therefore-iblog/2009/12/apple-magic-mouse.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+redeye%2Fiphoneblog+%28RedEye+-+iPhone%2C+therefore+I+blog%29>
Scott Kleinberg, Chicago Now

If you are in the market for a new mouse, get a Magic Mouse. You won't be disappointed.

**** Apple Acquires Lala Media <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704342404574576544196064138.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us_business>
Ethan Smith and Yukari Iwatani Kane, Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc. acquired online music company Lala Media Inc., possibly signaling an expansion of the computer giant's music strategy.

Palo Alto, Calif.,-based Lala lets users pay 10 cents for permanent access to "Web songs" that can be streamed via a Web browser but cannot be downloaded to a user's computer hard drive or to portable players like iPods.

Is Apple buying the technology, the people, or, perhaps, the contract and relationship that Lala already have with the big music labels?

**** Researcher Says iPhone Data Model Could Lead To Malware <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=734e5055b6bddb89377b9ccb65efa3a0>
Jeff Porten, Macworld

Some fear, uncertainty and doubt is being spread over malware access to iPhone data. It's true, but it's not particularly news.

**** Apple Sued For Alleged Infringement Over iPhone Camera <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=eeebd7a10e9f435344363d7867b51312>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

St. Clair Intellectual Property Consultants is suing Apple, claiming that the iPhone infringes upon several digital camera patents.

**** Start A New Mail Message From Any Application <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ae8d7f07a946eca41618a97b59a8c5ff>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

While OS X provides some Services to send e-mail based on selected files or e-mail addresses, there’s no global “I’d like to start a new e-mail message” command. But with just a bit of work, and an AppleScript from Mac OS X Hints reader Wout Mertens, you can create your own command to do just that.

**** How The Smartphone Killed The Clock Radio <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5394&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

I don’t know about you, but my iPhone has completely replaced my clock radio. There’s just no reason to have an alarm clock on my nightstand when I charge my iPhone there every night.

**** Mac Vs PC: Are Apple Computers Worth The High Price? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunities.canada.com%2Fvancouversun%2Fblogs%2Fparenting%2Farchive%2F2009%2F12%2F04%2Fmac-vs-pc.aspx&usg=AFQjCNFy5YUlqAjcQjSU0ii7A33F7Sp9BQ>
Chad Skelton, The Vancouver Sun

The reality is that, in my experience, the vast majority of what I do on my computer -- write, use spreadsheets, surf the web -- is exactly the same whether I do it on a PC or a Mac. And as more and more of what I do with my computer is through web browsers, the difference is becoming evening smaller.

**** Apple Fighting Macpro In Australia, Despite Is Using That Name For 26 Years <http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091202/2132147173.shtml>
Tech Dirt

**** A Reader’s Guide To The Art Of Science <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/eureka/article6934963.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1>
Peter Forbes, The Times

A new generation of arts-inclined amateurs are helping the science writing genre to make a textbook comeback.

**** Dancing In The Dark: A Cultural History Of The Great Depression By Morris Dickstein <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/dec/05/dancing-dark-morris-dickstein-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Andrew Dickson, The Guardian

Scrabble your way up San Francisco's Telegraph Hill and you find yourself at Coit Tower, a gleaming Art Deco spire built in 1933 after an eccentric heiress decided the city needed a spot of smartening up. It is a strange sight – a cross between firehose and missile silo, overlooking the sweep of the Bay Bridge – but the series of frescos you find inside are stranger still. At first glance they look like benign snapshots of sun-kissed California: in one mural, farmhands calmly harvest flowers and oranges; in another, shoppers stream out of a toy store. But peer closely and you notice some intriguing political messages – a poor family desperately panning for gold while a rich family looks on; a gaunt crowd of unemployed workers; a man reaching down a copy of Das Kapital in the city library.

**** When Bad Covers Happen To Good Books <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/books/review/Queenan-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joe Queenan, New York Times

I realized that what all the unread books on my shelves had in common is that they were ugly. Really ugly.

**** Holiday Books: The City <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/books/review/Berger-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Joseph Berger, New York Times

For lovers of New York City as well as amateur archaeologists, this book provides a matchless trove that tells us how New York grew into the city it now is, with practically the same cosmo politan and clamorous DNA that was there at the beginning.

**** Four Poems <http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/four-poems-john-dorsey/>
John Dorsey, 3:AM Magazine

**** Testing Time For Migrant Policy <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2009/12/5/columnists/insightdownsouth/5242328&sec=insightdownsouth>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

A proposed pre-citizenship test has stirred controversy, and the intense debate has divided Singaporeans over the future direction of the republic’s immigration policy.

**** 咖啡店全面禁烟对业者冲击很大 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl091205_008.shtml>
林如兴, 联合早报

物价上涨肯定失去一些的顾客,如果再加上全面禁止抽烟的话,顾客量必定锐减,人潮决定了咖啡店的存亡。

**** Updates On Yong Vui Kong <http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/updates-on-yong-vui-kong/>
Rachel Zeng

I have often wondered why the prison has to be so cruel and inhumane about visits. Why must the visits be conducted without any form of human contact, especially when it comes to inmates sitting on the death row?

**** Loansharking Should Not Be Seen As Easy Way Out For Gambling Addicts, Says Ho Peng Kee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1022605/1/.html>
Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

Borrowing money from loan sharks should not be seen as the easy way out for gambling addicts, said senior minister of state for law and home affairs, associate professor Ho Peng Kee.

**** The Borrowed Success Of Singapore <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/32432>
Chen Jiaqi, Sin Chew Jit Poh

The more successful Singapore has become, the more I feel proud of my Malaysian compatriots who have crossed the Causeway to serve in the Lion City.

But sometimes I would have this perverted idea: You Singaporeans need to be grateful to us, the "Made in Malaysia" yet forsaken lot, for what you have achieved!

**** Jakarta Should Learn From Singapore <http://en.vivanews.com/news/read/111301-jakarta_should_learn_from_singapore>
Viva News

Singapore, with its various vehicle restriction programs, has successfully avoided the congestions. One of the prominent programs is the ERP system.

**** Media’s Silence On Yong Vui Kong A National Shame <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/12/toc-editorial-media%e2%80%99s-silence-on-yong-vui-kong-a-national-shame/>
Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

The mainstream media has perpetuated precisely what the mandatory death penalty seeks to do: de-individualize those it condemns. Vui Kong is just another common criminal, to be treated with absolutely no difference from a seasoned drug trafficker with criminal convictions to his name.

Singaporeans need an opportunity to debate whether they feel this is just.

**** Free Shuttle Bus In Orchard <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_462976.html>
Straits Times

The free shuttle-bus service plying Orchard Road costs $18,000 a month to operate but it is off to a slow start.