[MyAppleMenu] Aug 29, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 29 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Apple Lists Software Known To Be Janky With Snow Leopard <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/GZet0SizbMU/apple-lists-software-known-to-be-janky-with-snow-leopard.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Forget Adobe CS3. There's a whole swath of software applications that won't work well (or at all) with Snow Leopard, and Apple has listed out a handful of them for your convenience. Some will be prevented from loading, so check out the list before you install.

**** Will Apple Stumble With Snow Leopard? <http://feeds.newsweek.com/~r/newsweek/columnists/StevenLevy/~3/iAEHDLBGFZY/214044>
Daniel Lyons, Newsweek

The good news is, whether you live in the world of Mac, or the world of Windows—or if, like me, you spend time in both—by the end of this year, you're going to be running a better operating system than you were last year. And that's most definitely a good thing, even if Snow Leopard isn't up to Steve Jobs's exacting standards.

**** Strange Symbiosis Among Apple, Microsoft, And Open Source <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10320002-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Matt Asay , CNET News.com

On the ground, there are ideological skirmishes between rival camps of customers. In the boardroom, plots are hatched to ridicule the competition. But in reality, Microsoft needs Apple needs open source needs Google needs....You get the picture.

**** Snow Leopard Doesn't Sync With Palm OS Devices <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/snow-leopard-doesnt-sync-palm-os-devices-539?source=rss_infoworld_news>
Matt Hamblen, InfoWorld

Some users of Palm smartphones are upset that the new Snow Leopard operating system won't sync Apple computers with Palm OS devices, calling it Apple's payback for the Palm's sync of iTunes to the Palm Pre.

Write your own sync plug-in, Palm. If Apple can create iTunes for Windows, so can anyone else. :-)

**** OpenCL: Parallel Programmers' New Best Friend <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13512_3-10319075-23.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
Peter Glaskowsky, CNET News.com

All this support for OpenCL means that it should become the first choice of academic and commercial developers who want a good cross-platform way to develop parallel code. Expect to see OpenCL used in software for audio and video processing, cryptography, medical imaging, and many other applications--including, of course, gaming.

**** Snow Leopard: Five Reasons To Upgrade Now <http://www.infoworld.com/d/mac/snow-leopard-five-reasons-upgrade-now-541?source=rss_infoworld_news>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

Though it's billed as an under-the-hood upgrade, Apple's newest OS offers plenty of features to entice users.

**** Missing Sync Helps Palm OS Users With Snow Leopard Transition <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=386ab2863b696387d10b2e6e2a33ccbe>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

If you’re using a Palm OS-based PDA or smartphone and you plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you’re going to need third-party software if you plan to synchronize your Mac data to the device. Snow Leopard breaks compatibility with Palm’s moribund Palm Desktop software once and for all. Fortunately, Mark/Space says that its Missing Sync for Palm OS has been tested to work with the operating system.

**** Snow Leopard: An Upgrade In Camouflage <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_36/b4145000590949.htm?campaign_id=yhoo>
Stephen H. Wildstrom, BusinessWeek

The power of Apple's new Mac operating system is mostly under the hood.

**** Create Smart Burn Folders <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=b64ad78bbfcc920a19a49b30eba8277e>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** The Impact Of Installing Rosetta On Snow Leopard (Spoiler: None) <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/zdnet/Apple/~3/ksNgSW9-pNo/>
Jason D. O'Grady, The Apple Core

**** Sources: Current iPod SKUs Discontinued, Hinting At Refresh <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/uKtyX2iOXuU/sources-current-ipods-discontinued-hinting-at-refresh.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Sources from Apple Authorized Resellers have confirmed to Ars that current stock is dwindling (if not completely gone in some cases) and that no more of the current models are coming in. Additionally, all current SKUs are being discontinued, with no word on when new models may arrive.

**** What's The Real Deal With 64-bit Computing In Snow Leopard? <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137229/What_s_the_real_deal_with_64_bit_computing_in_Snow_Leopard_?source=rss_opsys>
Ryan Faas, Computerworld

This is true: The kernel in Snow Leopard is designed to load in 32-bit operation by default on most Mac systems. However, focusing on the kernel, which facilitates very low-level functions that generally don't benefit from 64-bit operation, is missing the real point of 64-bit computing in Snow Leopard.

**** Apple's China iPhone Deal A Good Start <http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE57R59A20090828?virtualBrandChannel=11604&FORM=ZZNR6>
Yinka Adegoke, Reuters

The three-year deal with China Unicom, the country's second-largest carrier with more than 14O million customers, is not exclusive, in sharp contrast to its U.S. arrangement with AT&T Inc.

**** How Yelp May Have Further Harmed The App Store Approval Process With Its Easter Egg <http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/28/how-yelp-may-have-further-harmed-the-app-store-approval-process-with-its-easter-egg/>
Matt Galligan, TechCrunch

Call it sneaky, call it clever, but I call it deceit. Apple has put forth specific guidelines, and “rules” around their app development, and while I don’t always agree, it’s the reality of how we must work with them for now.

**** The App Store Goes To China <http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/28/iphone-china-unicom-technology-enterprise-apple.html>
Brian Caulfield, Forbes

A deal with China Unicom is good news for Apple--and better news for developers.

**** Death Of A Ladies Man <http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/death-of-a-ladies-man/>
Darran Anderson, 3 AM

Brighton’s West Pier is burning down. A sex offender dressed as Satan is on the loose. Kylie Minogue’s gold hot-pants are insured for more than the Turin shroud. The end, my friends, is nigh.

**** Don't Buy Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slate/~3/ekqTtmnkrDA/>
Regina Schrambling, Slate

You will never cook from it.

**** Reading By The Numbers <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=102cfb7a52bf8bb57fbfbab8c44654ac>
Susan Straight, New York Times

That constant drive for data is all too typical in the age of No Child Left Behind, helping to replace a freely discovered love of language and story with a more rigid way of reading.

**** Sentosa Family Scheme Includes Maids But Not Grandparents <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_422615.html>
Tina Lim, Straits Times

Classifying them as "less-immediate" family than domestic helpers is robbing them of the respect they deserve.

**** The Word 'Breastfeeding' Okay In Headlines But Not On TV? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_422613.html>
James Hosking, Straits Times

Only a week ago, I was watching a light-hearted comedy series, Suburban Shootout, on one of the BBC television channels, when the word "breastfeeding" was clearly beeped out.

I am suspecting BBC was not censored by Singapore censor; it's probably the same feed to multiple countries, some of which have a more stringent censorship requirements than Singapore's.

**** NEA Praised Itself For Raising Hygiene Standards In Aftermath Of Indian Rojak Food Poisoning Disaster <http://temasekreview.com/?p=12577>
The Temasek Review

The temporary market committee which was supposed to oversee the cleanliness of the site was not taken to task.

**** A Nation Run By Scholars <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2009/08/nation-run-by-scholars.html>
Tan Kin Lian

This lack of practical experience applies not only to the senior levels of the civil service, but higher up in the chain of command. We have to move away from writing papers to the real issues faced by the people in Singapore.

**** Sex Education As Reformative Training <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/sex-education-as-reformative-training/>
Yawning Bread

it seemed to me that in our educators’ minds, sex “education” is not education, but a form of morality instruction or reformative training.

**** Race And Religion: A Convenient Smoke-screen To Divert Attention From More Important Issues? <http://temasekreview.com/?p=12501>
The Temasek Review

Instead of the double threat posed by race and religion, a majority of the students polled cited the current economic downturn as having the greatest potential to cause a rift in society.

**** Cash Rebates, Unrestricted Use On Sat To Get Motorists To Switch To Off-peak Cars <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1001569/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is dangling more carrots to encourage more motorists to switch to off-peak cars. By the end of January next year, motorists can use their off-peak cars on Saturdays and the eves of the five main public holidays.