[MyAppleMenu] Aug 13, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 13 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** MobileMe Subscribers Encounter SMTP Problems <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=51398f2d239259a24591d91f73662eb8>
MacNN

At least some MobileMe subscribers have been experiencing problems with Apple's SMTP servers, according to forum discussion. In attempting to send out e-mails, the subscribers have been running into timeouts, at which point they have been prompted to pick another SMTP server.

**** Adobe Bids Farewell To PowerPC Users <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8bc1eb7711b22390ae63f330a6e56525>
Kelly Turner, Macworld

Adobe today put PowerPC users on notice: in a newly published FAQ, the company confirms that future versions of the Creative Suite will run only on Intel-based Macs.

**** Disabling Safari 4's Image Cache <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=b49765ac58ca14e1aeecdcec0abe7203>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Starting Out In College, The Mac Way <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=647317c8433b91ea15252236d9ae09d5>
Blair Hanley Frank, Macworld

For the past few months, I’ve been working as an intern in Macworld’s San Francisco office, testing products, camping out for the iPhone 3GS, and engaging in a little cubicle warfare. Now I’m heading off to Whitman College for the first year of my undergraduate education. In addition to the usual accoutrements, like sheets (twin extra long, of course), a trash can, books, pens, paper, and the rest, I’m also packing some of my most important supplies: gadgets. After spending my summer surrounded by the latest hardware and software, whittling down my list of essential Mac gear hasn’t been easy. Here’s what’s on my back-to-school list.

**** Apple Releases DNS Security Update For Mac OS X <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/08/12/apple_releases_dns_security_update_for_mac_os_x.html>
AppleInsider

A new update from Apple for numerous versions of Mac OS X is designed to protect systems against remote attacks that could cause DNS servers to unexpectedly terminate.

**** Fan Boys Fuel The Flames Between Apple And Google <http://www.pcworld.com/article/170104/fan_boys_fuel_the_flames_between_apple_and_google.html?FORM=ZZNR>
Preston Gralla, Computerworld

Increasingly, Apple and Google are becoming business rivals rather than partners. One of the more intriguing battles to come may be between the cultists who worship at the feet of each technology company.

**** Apple TV Is A Lemon <http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/redirect/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.theinquirer.net%2Fc%2F554%2Ff%2F7127%2Fs%2F5a6ad31%2Fl%2F0L0Stheinquirer0Bnet0Cinquirer0Cnews0C15289740Capple0Etv0Elemon%2Fstory01.htm&FORM=ZZNR10>
Nick Farrell, The Inquirer

Apple has been so confident that its Apple TV has reached a state of perfection that it has not bothered to update the box for 18 months. As a result sales are extremely low. Normally Apple releases a new one and encourages everyone to buy it, but rumours suggest that even Jobs thinks the Apple TV is a bit of a turkey.

**** Apple Time Machine Users Hit With Mozy Backup Errors <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136581/Apple_Time_Machine_users_hit_with_Mozy_backup_errors?taxonomyId=18&FORM=ZZNR9>
Lucas Mearian, Computerworld

Decho Corp. today acknowledged that its popular Mozy online backup service is having problems saving backups sent to it by Apple Inc.'s Time Machine backup tool, which works with Apple's Time Capsule network-attached storage device.

**** Will HTML 5 Break Apple's Stranglehold On Apps? <http://gigaom.com/2009/08/12/will-html-5-break-apples-strangehold-on-apps/>
Alistair Croll, GigaOM

It’s no secret that the iPhone App Store is a walled garden. Mobile platform developers like Apple have several ways to control what can run on their devices: Prohibit plug-ins like Flash, cripple the Java they run, or simply limit the installation process. But HTML 5, the next big standard for the web, will dramatically reduce this control by creating a new generation of web sites that look and feel like they’re iPhone apps.

**** Five Apple Retail Flops <http://theappleblog.com/2009/08/12/five-apple-retail-flops/>
Chris Ryan, The Apple Blog

With Microsoft’s first retail stores right around the corner, I wanted to look at some instances in Apple’s retail history where it, for better or for worse, missed the mark.

**** E-Mail From Apple: So? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Farticle%2F170073%2Femail_from_apple_so.html&usg=AFQjCNFMfsDrODqOOXm1R1nPHD75jolTRA>
Jared Newman, PC World

I understand this looks like a turning point in Apple policy, as if the company is abandoning its secretive ways and moving toward open communication with its consumers. It's not. It's just two e-mail messages.

**** The Real Issue Between Apple And Google <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2F2009%2F08%2F12%2Ftravlos-apple-google-intelligent-investing-iphone.html&usg=AFQjCNHuve-sV6h9XDOxpNKiyZTjVeAOfw>
Darcy Travlos, Forbes

As Apple and Google's businesses converge, Apple's ability to create different experiences for the mobile user is standing out.

**** French Teenager Hurt By Shattering iPhone <http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/french-teenager-hurt-by-shattering-iphone-20090813-eihq.html>
AFP

A French teenager suffered an eye injury when his girlfriend's iPhone shattered, a few weeks after a similar incident involving an iPod in Britain, his mother said Wednesday.

**** Philip Schiller: Apple's Fireman (And Perhaps Most Valuable Exec) <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=22610>
Larry Dignan, ZDNet

Schiller is fulfilling a big need at Apple—he’s putting a face on the company. Apple has a face—Steve Jobs—but the genius at the helm doesn’t come off as approachable.

**** Interview: How Apple Wins By Coming Second <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/ptf0nY0cg_Y/14547>
Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

Apple figures large in Secondonomics. Bower argues that Apple has gotten a lot of passes because of its underdog status.

**** Delicious Library 2.2 Adds New Amazon API Requirements <http://www.pheedcontent.com/click.phdo?i=5c7c6495e853531776bb429e4f94b3b3>
Jeff Gamet, The Mac Observer

**** The Mars Menu: This Is Not Buzz Aldrin's Astronaut Food <http://www.latimes.com/news/la-sci-mars-food13-2009aug13,0,6213121.story?track=rss>
Karen Kaplan, Los Angeles Times

NASA must provide the crew with some 20,000 meals -- light, with a shelf life of five years. Scientists are experimenting with packaging and preservation, but so far, mac and cheese is out.

**** A Decade Later, <i>The Iron Giant</i>’s Weaponized Soul Still Stirs <http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/08/a-decade-later-the-iron-giants-weaponized-soul-still-stirs/>
Scott Thill, Wired

So happy birthday, Iron Giant. Thanks for reminding us that heroism comes in many forms. And that it doesn’t come from a gun at all, but instead from a machine with its synthetic brain and heart fully charged.

**** No More 'future MRT Stations' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_415867.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Two developers which included unconfirmed locations of future MRT stations in their condo advertisements have stopped using the information as a selling point.

**** Tipping Must Be Voluntary, Says Case <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_415843.html>
Seah Seng Choon, Case, Straits Times

If tipping is required, tour agents should state it clearly in tour packages.

**** Bottled Newater, New Thinking Needed <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC090813-0000049/Bottled-Newater,-new-thinking-needed>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

The Public Utilities Board (PUB) said it is re-examining the ways it distributes Newater in order to reduce its use of plastic bottles.

**** Integrated Public Transport Hub At Boon Lay To Open In Dec <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/448552/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** H1N1 Passed Peak <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_416051.html>
Jessica Jaganathan, Straits Times

The outbreak of Influenza A (H1N1) appears to have peaked, with attendances at clinics dropping off for the first time in weeks.

**** George Yeo Replies To Chee: Temasek Has Done “Well” <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11915>
The Temasek Review

Though Yeo has been quite disappointing in his carefully drafted replies to Chee, it is a positive development in Singapore’s conservative, if not dour political landscape.

**** NDP Exco Turns A Deaf Ear On Environment Hazard Warning <http://blog.dk.sg/2009/08/12/ndp-exco-turns-a-deaf-ear-on-environment-hazard-warning/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

Can someone from NDP creative department explain to me why you guys die die must release balloon for National Day?

**** More On The 9th Question <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/08/more-on-9th-question.html>
Mr Wang Says So

Why should we be surprised then, that some of these individuals will choose to stay on in those foreign countries? After all, Singapore failed to provide for them what these foreign countries were able, and willing, to provide.

**** Nod To 9 GST Suggestions <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_416140.html>
Straits Times

The Ministry of Finance (MOF) has accepted for implementation nine out of the 16 suggestions received on the draft Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill 2009 during the public consultation exercise held in June.

**** Singapore Sounds A Note Of Caution <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB124998391136322211.html&usg=AFQjCNGkBpt-m2MWL45lMQqZhWpXtzwSqw>
Mohammed Hadi, Wall Street Journal

Singapore can sometimes go overboard when sounding the alarm bell. It did, after all, stage an imaginary terrorist attack as part of its National Day parade on Sunday.

Still, the latest word of caution from the government should give investors across Asia pause. When reporting a second-quarter rebound in economic growth, the Ministry of Trade and Industry on Tuesday said there were "few signs of a decisive turnaround in final demand in Singapore's key export markets."

**** Singapore Censors Cut Scenes Of Comedy Bruno <http://www.topnews.in/singapore-censors-cut-scenes-comedy-bruno-2201283?FORM=ZZNR4>
DPA

Singapore's film censors cut some scenes from Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy Bruno and restricted it to viewers 21 years old and above (R21), as the film is to hit the cinema screens in the city-state next Thursday.

**** More Accurate Bus Arrival Time <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_416248.html>
Straits Times

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) on Thursday said it is now working with IBM Research to tweak the system to enable it to predict traffic flow.

Combine bus and taxi data, and you'd have a pretty good picture.

**** The Agenda <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2662-the-agenda>
Singapore Democrats

**** Bus, Train Information Now Accessible Via Mobile Phones <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/448671/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia