[MyAppleMenu] Apr 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 26 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Review - SplashNotes - Yet Another Outliner For iPhone <http://mobiletechaddicts.com/2009/04/25/review-splashnotes-yet-another-outliner-for-iphone/>
by Mobile Tech Addicts

**** No, You Can't Get An Upgrade <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/weekinreview/26segal.html?ref=business>
by David Segal, New York Times

Forget the upgrade. The game now is avoiding the downgrade. This is grim and troubling, in part, because so much of our consumer culture is built around the enticements of the Better.

**** 是也非也:重开柔佛旧关卡 <http://www.nanyang.com/index.php?ch=29&pg=926&ac=953406>
by 李德慧, 南洋商报

其实,不管进入谁话事的时代,市民要的,只不过是一个明确的答案,我们只是要通到新加坡去!

**** Where Money Holds Sway <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/4/25/columnists/insightdownsouth/3758368&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The large salaries paid to the elite is pushing many Singaporeans towards an unhealthy chase for the dollar.

**** A Malay Dilemma <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/a-malay-dilemma/>
by The Online Citizen

Why the PAP struggles to renew its class of Malay leaders.

**** Bridge For Bugis Crowds <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_368793.html>
by Debbie Yong, Straits Times

To be ready by year-end, it will lessen road congestion at Illuma mall and Bugis Junction.

**** Singapore Day 2009 In London <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/toci-special-report-singapore-day-2009-in-london/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Happy Singapore Day! <http://appreciating-thyself.blogspot.com/2009/04/singapore-day-in-london-i-love.html>
by For It Is Difference That Moulds Me

**** 7 Ministers, Media & Community Leaders Make Up New National Integration Council <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/425017/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore has set up a new National Integration Council to promote and foster social integration among Singaporeans and with new citizens and permanent residents.

**** Lessons From Singapore <http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090426/cleisure/cleisure5.html>
by Dennis Morrison, Jamaica Gleaner News

**** Sentosa Sardine-Packed? <http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20090426-137516.html>
by Cara van Miriah, Straits Times

Life is not quite a beach nowadays along the Siloso shoreline at Sentosa. It is more, well, a mini-construction site.

**** 伦敦新加坡日招聘会上  不少海外国人欲当“海归” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/gj/gj090426_502.shtml>
by 林慧慧, 联合早报

从美国华尔街爆发的金融海啸已经席卷欧洲各国,英国更是首当其冲。许多在伦敦工作的海外新加坡人虽然还未直接受影响,但是不少已做好面对裁员的最坏打算,并且开始留意新加坡就业机会,考虑回国发展。

**** Bloggers' Maturity Demonstrated In Aware Saga <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1012.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Lunatic Straits Times readers aside, bloggers and their readers have now given the lie to the Singapore government's oft-repeated warning that freedom of speech will lead to chaos and strife, a scary scenario based on the accusation that bloggers and non-government-related site-owners have no sense of responsibility.

**** Government Won't Interfere In AWARE Saga <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/425035/1/.html>
by S Ramesh/Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia

Minister for community development, youth and sports, Vivian Balakrishnan said the problems facing AWARE are not a national one, so it is best for the organisation to settle them democratically and according to its constitution.

**** Embrace Foreigners, And Screw The Locals(NSmen) <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2009/04/embrace-foreigners-and-screw.html>
by Military Life: Memoirs Of A Conscript In The Lion City

Singapore Inc runs first and foremost by economic considerations. I accept that. But why is the government screwing us NSmen by imposing obligations in a way that is both disruptive and detrimental to our economic competitiveness.

They expect us NSmen to grin and bear it when we know we are competing on an unequal playing field? How can you expect us to embrace immigrants who are fighting for the very same rice-bowls and who do not need to make similar sacrifices to preserve it? I have risked my life every time I report for my annual in-camp training to protect and defend our way of life only to find that sacrifice entails having me risk my livelihood?!