[MyAppleMenu] Apr 15, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 15 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2009 Release 2 <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/real_software_ships_realbasic_2009_release_2/>
by Chris Barylick, The Mac Observer

The new version includes more than 70 improvements and new features as well as COM automation support for Windows and support for MySQL.

**** Adventures In iTunes Sitting <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/adventures_in_itunes_sitting/>
by John Martellaro, The Mac Observer

It was a simple desire: display the name of the currently playing song within the Mac OS X Menu bar. Not in a menu item, something that requires a click, but right there, in plain sight, impervious to changes in Spaces. It took some searching, but I found one, and several other interesting iTunes helpers along the way.

**** app4mac Announces Jump 1.0, Projector 1.0 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/04/14/jump.10.projector.10/>
by MacNN

Jump is a quick-access utility, aimed at making the launch of apps, documents and folders more convenient; Projector, meanwhile, tracks and calculates a project's tasks and costs.

**** Apple, Grow Up: It's Time To Fix App Store Approvals <http://www.ipodobserver.com/ipo/article/apple_grow_up>
by Shawn King, The iPod Observer

Apple's decisions are obviously not consistent, not well understood (even by people at Apple) and simultaneously confusing and frustrating for both the users and the developers. And it's particularly egregious when it doesn't have to be this way.

**** Schizophrenic's Will Valid <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_363582.html>
by K. C. Vijayan, Straits Times

Judges should not let medical opinions sway their decision if they are not backed up by the facts, the chief justice has said.

**** Apple iPhone And The Enterprise: Happy Together? <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-iPhone-and-the-Enterprise-Happy-Together-424997/?kc=rss>
by Michelle Maisto, eWeek

The Apple iPhone can find a comfortable home in the enterprise, a new report from Forrester Research suggests. The RIM BlackBerry is still a superior messaging and calendar device, eWEEK is told, but with the iPhone 3.0 addressing many often-voiced security concerns, for content-centric applications, the iPhone is becoming the sanctioned enterprise device of choice.

**** 3G iPod Shuffle Teardown Reveals Same Costs As In 2007 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/14/3g_ipod_shuffle_teardown_reveals_same_costs_as_in_2007.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

In spite of fears that Apple was suddenly inflating its margins, a new teardown from iSuppli has revealed that the third-generation iPod shuffle costs as much to make as its predecessor did two years ago.

**** Apple Updates Aperture, iMovie With Bug Fixes <http://www.macworld.com/article/140007/2009/04/aperture_imovie_updates.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Crazy Penguin Catapult For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140004/2009/04/penguins.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kyle Bailey, Macworld

It's penguins versus bears in this chilly casual game fare.

**** Back-In-Time 1.3.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140002/2009/04/backintime.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

Tri-Edre’s Back-In-Time is a useful utility that aims to address Time Machine's shortcomings by providing a very different interface for accessing Time Machine backups

**** Microsoft Updates Office 2004 And 2008 <http://www.macworld.com/article/140003/2009/04/officeupdate.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Fully Functional Office 2008 For Mac Trial Is Now Available <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/fully-functional-office-2008-for-mac-trial-is-now-available.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Those who want to try out Office 2008 for Mac but don't want to fork over hundreds of dollars just yet can now use a 30-day trial of the software.

**** AT&T Chief Looks To Keep iPhone, Deepen Wireless Push <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123973238611017715.html>
by Amol Sharma, Wall Street Journal

AT&T's exclusive deal to carry the iPhone in the U.S. expires next year, according to people familiar with the matter, and CEO Randall Stephenson is now in discussions with Apple Inc. to get an extension until 2011.

**** Why Apple Should Not Extend AT&T's Exclusive iPhone Service Deal <http://cultofmac.com/why-apple-should-not-extend-atts-exclusive-iphone-service-deal/10100>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac

**** Skype No Longer Works On Jailbroken iPhones <http://www.9to5mac.com/AT%2526T-kills-skype-on-iphone>
by Quincy Pince-Nez, 9 To 5 Mac

**** iPhone Wi-Fi Failures Caused By Battery Heat? <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10218183-233.html>
by David Martin, CNET

Many people think that the problem is caused by the iPhone overheating, and some go so far as to place their iPhone into a refrigerator to speed up the cooling process. (We don't suggest that you do the same; refrigerating your iPhone could cause water damage and void your warranty.) We recommend letting the iPhone cool at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes, or until cool to the touch.

**** Apple Selling 22 iPhones, 28 Macs Per Store Each Day <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/15/apple_selling_22_iphones_28_macs_per_store_each_day.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

Observations made at more than two dozen Apple retail stores over the last few weeks show Apple to be maintaining healthy sales of Macs and iPhones that aren't far off from rates seen during the lead-in to last year's holiday shopping season.

**** Switching Again <http://www.appledifferent.com/2009/04/15/switching-again/>
by AppleDifferent

Mac simply makes my life easier and more comfortable.

**** You'll Get Used To $1.29 Songs At The iTunes Store <http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/appleaday/blog/2009/04/youll_get_used_to_129_songs_at.html>
by David Zeiler, Baltimore Sun

The reality is neither Apple nor its rivals needs the 99-cents fits all policy anymore. Yes, it was genius in 2003. It kept things simple and encouraged a wary public to try out iTunes. But as a business tool, it has outlived its purpose.

**** A Word Processor That Keeps Track <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/22464/?a=f>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review

TextFlow claims to have a novel approach to online collaboration.

**** Dinosaur At The Gate <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/opinion/15dowd.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Maureen Dowd, New York Times

Why can’t Google, which likes to see itself as a “Don’t Be Evil” benevolent force in society, just write us a big check for using our stories, so we can keep checks and balances alive and continue to provide the search engine with our stories?

He declines to pony up money, noting that newspapers could opt out of giving their content to Google free and adding, “We actually like making our own money for obviously good capitalist reasons.”

**** Dine-In At A 7-Eleven Store? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,198903,00.html?>
by Audrey Tan Ruiping, New Paper

Convenience store chain 7-Eleven has opened an outlet at the Sengkang Sports and Recreation Centre - and you can eat there.

**** Plea To OK 'Crooked Causeway' <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,198923,00.html?>
by New Paper

Businessmen and the public in Johor are hopeful that the crooked bridge project across the Straits of Johor will spur development within the city, which has been adversely affected since the opening of the new Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex.

**** Anti-LGBTQ Is Anti-Feminist <http://www.glass-castle.org/blog/2009/04/anti-lgbtq-is-anti-feminist.html>
by Glass Castle

Advocacy for women's rights which ignores LGBTQ rights is incomplete at best, and may be downright detrimental at worst.

**** Cathay, Singapore Face 'Tough' Calls As Qantas Cuts <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=awr83zu1onVQ&refer=asia>
by Chan Sue Ling, Bloomberg

Qantas Airways Ltd., Australia’s largest carrier, will cut about five percent of its staff in anticipation of a record loss caused by a drop in business class travel. Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. and Singapore Airlines Ltd. may be next.

**** Public Order Act: A Nervous Government Lashes Out <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2238-public-order-act-a-nervous-government-lashes-out>
by Singapore Democrats

This two-pronged gambit of introducing the Public Order Act and electronic voting will kill off politics and political competition in Singapore.

It is also a signal that the government is ill-at-ease with itself and with the people it rules. It is a nervous beast, and nervous beasts lash out at anything it perceives as a threat. Confident rulers seek the mandate of the people, nervous ones crush them.

**** Stop Misleading The Public On The Public Order Act <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2680>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Let us call a spade a spade and let us all be clear as to what the Act really is all about — a sugar coated poison pill that further subjugates political freedom and civil rights in the name of public interest.

**** Lessons From Ian Tomlinson's Death: Implications Of The New Public Order Act Giving Police Powers To Stop Filming Of Ongoing &quot;Security&quot;Operations <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7728>
by The Wayang Party Club

**** 150 Call For Vote Of No Confidence <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/toc-report-150-call-for-vote-of-no-confidence/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, The Online Citizen

**** Amazing Speed At Which Rojak Seller Is Charged Diverts Attention Away From Role Of Authorities <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7770>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The charge appeared to be timed perfectly to divert attention away from authorities which are facing intense public scrutiny and pressure for failing to prevent the outbreak.

**** Singapore's Sweet Rings <http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/blogs/80days/2009/04/singapores-swee.html>
by Manuela Zoninsein, Condé Nast Traveler

To Singaporeans, frying dough balls is a form of connoisseurship.

**** Singapore Minister Shares Experiences <http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=01POL140409>
by Viet Nam News

Visiting Singaporean minister mentor Lee Kwan Yew has been sharing his country’s experiences with tackling the global economic crisis with Viet Nam.

**** 新加坡刺激经济技穷 <http://news.stockstar.com/info/darticle.aspx?id=JL,20090415,00000879&columnid=955>
by 证券之星

面对经济持续恶化,新加坡政府手上的武器已所余无几。

**** Of Power, Freedom And Money <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2009/04/of-power-freedom-and-money.html>
by My Singapore News

**** Shame Sham Shanmugam <http://cavalierio.blogspot.com/2009/04/shame-sham-shanmugam.html>
by Cavalierio

To read Shanmugam's speech in full is to be thoroughly amazed by a speech that is replete with elementary false-dilemmas and double-speak.

**** 大馬可超越新加坡? <http://opinions.sinchew-i.com/node/9520>
by 爾爾, 星洲日报(馬來西亞)

巫統領袖,尤其是借“維護馬來人特權”來鞏固自己地位的政客,是時候向獅城巫裔同胞看齊,並向他們取經:如何在一個沒有特權、一切以績效為考量的社會裡公平競爭,證明自己和其他族群一樣優秀,只要肯奮鬥,也能闖出春天來。

**** Feb Retail Sales Up 10.5% <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_363893.html>
by Straits Times

Sales for the month rose a seasonally adjusted 10.5 per cent from January, due to stronger car sales, said the Department of Statistics (DOS) on Wednesday.

Excluding motor vehicles, February's retail sales index.declined a seasonally adjusted 3 per cent from January. Compared with a year ago, February retail sales fell 5.7 per cent, hurt by a 25.8 percent drop in food and beverages sales.

**** Will Singaporeans Speak Up For Others? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/will-sporeans-speak-up-for-others/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen

We were proud and happy to be Singaporeans many years ago. We were part of the struggle to build an independent nation, based on equality and justice, which is respected by many nations around the world.

Today, Singaporeans are disappointed. We are not sure if Singapore still belongs to us or only to those who are in power.

**** Singapore Retail Sales Fall A Fifth Month As Recession Deepens <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aVdOZB5Y6HHo&refer=home>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s retail sales fell for a fifth month in February, the longest period of declines in seven years, as consumers cut spending amid an economic slump that has led to the loss of thousands of jobs.

**** Sun Microsystems Confirms Retrenchment Exercise At Its Singapore Operations <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/422511/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

**** 要求查兒死因反被揭發犯罪·人蛇集團首腦監6年 <http://dailynews.sina.com/bg/news/int/sinchewdaily/20090415/0522146984.html>
by 星洲日報

兒子與警艇相撞後傷重死,父親要求徹查兒子死因,卻發現父子2人都是人蛇集團首腦,最後大馬籍的父者被判入獄6年!

**** Firefly To Fly Ipoh-Singapore Route <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=404381&cat=nt>
by Bernama

The Ipoh-Singapore flight route that is expected to become operational in the middle of the year would be a generator of investment and tourism between Perak and the island republic, said Perak menteri besar Datuk Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir.

**** Local, Foreign Groups Warned Against Disrupting APEC Summit <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422543/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

As Singapore prepares to host the APEC Summit in November, deputy prime minister Wong Kan Seng said Singapore will treat high-profile events as possible terrorist targets and deal firmly with those who engage in acts of violence during that period.