[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 1 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Is Steve Jobs Moonlighting In Customer Service? <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/9/is-steve-jobs-moonlighting-in-customer-service-aapl->
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider
WHat's the easiest way to get ahold of Steve Jobs? Don't bother calling Apple PR or looking for a quote in buiness press. Just email me, apparently.

**** 20 Tech Habits To Improve Your Life <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=&articleId=9113860&taxonomyId=&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Gina Trapani, PC World
A few new habits can make the difference between staying on task, finding what you need and getting things done &mdash; or having a tech meltdown.

**** Another Voice Warns Of An Innovation Slowdown <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/01/technology/01estrin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Claire Cain Miller, New York Times
Judy Estrin's book is the latest call to action by scientists, technologists and political leaders worried about the country's future competitiveness in technology.

**** Why Me? <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/09/08/080908fa_fact_parker>
by Ian Parker, New Yorker
Alec Baldwin's disappointment, undimmed by successs.

**** The Clay Army <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/09/08/080908po_poem_komunyakaa>
by Yusef Komunyakaa, New Yorker

**** Face <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/09/08/080908fi_fiction_munro>
by Alice Munro, New Yorker
I am convinced that my father looked at me, really saw me, only once. After that, he knew what was there.

**** Beast Brutality <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/09/08/080908po_poem_bang>
by Mary Jo Bang, New Yorker

**** The Henry Ford Of Literature <http://www.believermag.com/issues/200809/?read=article_potts>
by Rolf Potts, The Believer
How one nearly forgotten 1920s publisher's "Little Blue Books" created an inexpensive mail-order information superhighway that paved the way for the sexual revolution, influenced the feminist and civil rights movements, and foreshadowed the age of information.

**** Staycation Nation <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/09/01/staycation/index.html>
by Billy Frolick, Salon
This summer's buzzword implies that sitting on your couch can be an adventure. But even the smarmiest euphemism can't turn Paris Hilton into Paris, France.

**** A Taste Of The Future? <http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/a-taste-of-the-future/>
by Christine Muhlke, New York Times
On Friday I was wondering whether Slow Food Nation, the four-day San Francisco event that aims to encourage Americans to come to the table, would turn out to be the Woodstock or the Lollapalooza of food. Today, I'm convinced that it's the Davos (minus Bono).

**** Singapore, Malaysia Will Honour ICJ's Ruling On Pulau Batu Puteh <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=356565>
by Bernama
Singapore and Malaysia have reiterated their commitment to honour and abide by the International Court of Justices judgment on Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks and South Ledge.

**** Waiting For Singapore's Pakatan Rakyat <http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/waiting-for-singapores-pakatan-rakyat/>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore
There is no Anwar Ibrahim in Singapore to unite the weak and fragmented opposition.

**** Speakers' Corner = Eater's Corner? <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2008/9/1/speakers-corner-eater-s-corner>
by Derrick Ho, Straits Times
Tucked at the corner of Hong Lim Green Community Club, those at his waffles cafe, Sweet Stone Express, get a full view of the park's greenery and any activity taking place on the fields.

**** Women Trafficked To Singapore Lured Into Prostitution <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h6aT-zpacZVO1shqT8Ux1zKWyoaw>
by AFP
Philippine embassy officials said there is a growing number of Filipina women lured by human trafficking syndicates to Singapore, Southeast Asia's wealthiest economy.
The US State Department, in its 2008 Trafficking in Persons report, put Singapore on its list of countries not doing enough to combat the problem. Singapore should accept there is a problem, said Sallie Yea, an Australian consultant who has researched sex trafficking in Asia. "Singapore is still in denial mode."

**** No Takers As Singapore Lightens Rules On Demos <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hQt7Kt1mYinsMYiS3jdrvlw0usPg>
by AFP
There were no banners, no signs and no shouting on Monday when liberalise drules governing outdoor demonstrations in Singapore took effect at a specially-designated park.
Nobody showed up to protest, and activists dismissed the new rules as a token gesture by the government.

**** Court Rejects Appeal By SDP's Chee Siok Chin To Overturn Denied Travel Request <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/373040/1/.html>
by 938Live
Singapore Democratic Party member Chee Siok Chin has failed in her appeal to overturn a denied travel request. Her appeal on Monday was rejected as she failed to submit the required documents on time.

**** Woman Fined For Illegal Assembly <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/Story/STIStory_274137.html>
by Elena Chong, Straits Times
Harkirat Kaur was the first in the group to admit to the gathering near Raffles City Shopping Centre on Sept 10, 2006.

**** KNNBCCB: PAP Is Indeed 'More Equal' Than Others! <http://blueheeler.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/knnbccb-pap-is-indeed-more-equal-than-others/>
by BothSidesOfTheJohorStraits
Some animals are indeed more equal than others, huh?

**** No Failure In Electronic Voting System <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_273962.html>
by Ng Sheau Jiuan, Clerk Of Parliament, Straits Times
Evidence of the test results on the said sitting day and immediately preceding sitting days incidcated that the electronic voting system was functioning properly.
/It's the user's fault! Our stupid users do not know how to use our system. We need to get better users. :-)/

**** TVMobile: Too Soft To Hear, Just Loud Enough To Irritate <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,175154,00.html?>
by Solomon Lim, New Paper
Then I realised the real difference. There isn't a TVMobile on the bus!

**** Goodness Gracious Me! Did You Get The Facts? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2008/08/goodness-gracious-me-did-you-get-facts.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish
For the ad nauseam cheerleading that's coming out from ST, I'm indeed grateful to Ms Khalik for having the guts to tell it like it is. I respect her for taking on a minister for the sake of integrity and honest reporting.

**** Sorry I Don't Believe In NS <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2008/08/sorry-i-dont-believe-in-ns.html>
by Sam's Thoughts