[MyAppleMenu] Oct 29, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 29 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Side By Side: Windows 7 Vs. OS X Snow Leopard <http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39945/140/>
by Christian Zibreg, TG Daily
Microsoft has shown Windows 7 for the first time earlier today and there is every indication that this (Vista) maintenance release may turn into the Vista Microsoft should have offered to begin with. We haven't seen Snow Leopard yet, but have a good idea how the operating system may offer. Apple will go in a slightly different direction and we wondered how the two will compare. Here is what we have come up with.

**** A Week With The New 13" MacBook <http://soupnazi.org/articles/a-week-with-the-new-13-macbook>
by Jim Mock, soupnazi.org
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the new no-button trackpds don't always respond to clicks.

**** Wisdom From Steve Jobs: The Importance Of Killing Good Ideas <http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/10/wisdom-from-steve-jobs-the-importance-of-killing-good-ideas.html>
by Bob Sutton
Jobs' argument went something like this: What is really hard - and a hallmark of great companies - is that they kill a lot of good ideas.

**** Did Apple Get It Right With The New MacBook? <http://customerinsightblog.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/did-apple-get-it-right-with-the-new-macbook/>
by Leximancer

**** A Fortnight With The MacBok Pro <http://davidappleyard.net/2008/a-fortnight-with-the-macbook-pro/>
by David Appleyard
The screen is gorgeous, the build quality is fantastic and the graphics are screaming.

**** Lovely Mac OS X Pillow For Sofa <http://www.winandmac.com/humor/lovely-mac-os-x-pillow-for-sofa/>
by winandmac.com

**** TextExpander 2.5 Adds Date And Time Math Snippets <http://www.macworld.com/article/136435/2008/10/textexpander.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Apple Releases Free Mac Management White Paper <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/28/apple-releases-free-mac-management-white-paper/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Psystar Introduces Blu-Ray Bag Of Hurt To Its Mac Clones <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/28/psystar-introduces-blu-ray-bag-of-hurt-to-its-mac-clones>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Technically speaking, there are a handful of third-party Blu-ray drives made for the Mac that users can install into their Mac Pros, so it's not like a Psystar PC is the only way to get Blu-ray on a "Mac."

**** Two Macs: Fail. <http://speirs.org/2008/10/28/two-macs-fail/>
by Fraser Speirs
An experiment I've been running for more than two years now is over: running two Macs is more hassle than it's worth. I write not to praise synchronisation technology, but to bury it.

**** First Look At WIndows 7'S User Interface <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081028-first-look-at-windows-7.html>
by Peter Bright, Ars Technica

**** Why eBooks Suddenly Matter (To Me) <http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/carry/2008/10/29/why-ebooks-suddenly-matter-to-me>
by Anthony Caruana, Hydrapinion

**** Google Settles Copyright Lawsuits With Publishers, Authors <http://www.macworld.com/article/136410/2008/10/googlesuitsettled.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
Goggle has settled lawsuits brought against it by major publishers and authors that argued that Google's wholesale scanning and indexing of in-copyright books without permission amounted to massive copyright violations.

**** Nurses Speak Out, About Doctors <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/health/28book.html>
by Abigail Zuger, New York Times
In "Reflections on Doctors," nurses have produced something quite extraordinary in recent medical writings: a compilation of 19 brief essays musing on the current relationship between the species.

**** The Peter Pans Of Broadway <http://nymag.com/arts/theater/features/51543/>
by Jesse Green, New York Magazine
For three boys (and their mothers), Billy Elliot is the role of a lifetime. Provided they don't grow out of it too fast.

**** Ach, Wien <http://www.slate.com/id/2199853/?from=rss>
by Rita Dove, Slate

**** ComfortDelGro To Remove 30 Cents Diesel Surcharge From Nov 12 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/386205/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
ComfortDelGro, Singapore's largest cab operator, will be removing the 30 cents diesel surcharge on taxi rides with effect from 6am, November 12.

**** Singaporeans Against The Arts <http://www.singaporebiennale.org/blog/?p=776>
by Singapore Biennale 2008 Blog
Singapore audiences have this terrible desire to want to understand everything in a reductionist way. If we don't understand the literal meaning of one scene of a show, we can't deal with it - we want to be spoonfed so much.

**** The Fear Of The Opposition <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/the-fear-of-the-opposition/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen
People want to hear different, and better ideas from the opposition on how to run the country, not just gripes about every little fault of the PAP.

**** Singapore Newspaper's Amazing Knowledge Gap <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/10/singapore-newspapers-amazing-knowledge-gap.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
Public spending projects to beat poverty and recession and boost the economy are not unusual at all.

**** Trans-Cab Axes Fuel Surcharge <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_296025.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Trans-Cab, which has a fleet of 2,200 red-and-white taxis, said it will lift in the 30-cent fuel surchage levy on Nov 11, just over three months after powerhouse ComfortDelGro introduced the surcharge.

**** A Tax To Get Singaporeans To Save Energy? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/284129.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
With Singapore having impressed upon its citizens on the need to conserve water, the government is now looking at ways to do the same for energy.

**** Are Housing Board Subsidies Regressive? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_295752.html>
by Foo Cexiang, Straits Times
This housing subsidy policy seems to go against our quest of a progressive society. Crucially, this regressive policy affects 95 per cent of the 80 per cent in public housing, as they are home owners.

**** High Notes 5 Worthless <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_295992.html>
by Francis Chan and Selina Lum, Straits Times
Investors in DBS High Notes 5 finally got the news they have been dreading for weeks: Their investments are officially worthless.

**** Should The Government Guarantee Bank Deposits? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/should-the-government-guarantee-bank-deposits/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen
This guarantee places the Singapore taxpayers at risk and deserves an appropriate return.