[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 26 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Graphic: How Apple Is Gaining On Microsoft <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/26/graphic-how-apple-is-gaining-on-microsoft/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune
Here's a chart that should keep Steve Ballmer up at night.

**** Jacking Into The Brain - Is The Brain The Ultimate Computer Interface? <http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=jacking-into-the-brain>
by Gary Stix, Scientific American
How far can science advance brain-machine interface technology? Will we one day pipe the latest blog entry or NASCAR highlights directly into the human brain as if the organ were an outsize flash drive?

**** Moms Are Taking Back The Holidays By Taking On Consumerism <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2008298161_pacificpgreenween26.html?syndication=rss>
by Natalie Singer, Seattle Times
Starting with homemade costumes and healthier treats for Halloween, a group of moms is banding together to transform holiday rituals - casting off the stuff and bringing back the meaning.

**** It Will Be Handled 'Fairly' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_295167.html>
by Chua Chin Hon, Straits Times
Singaporeans aggrieved by their investment in Lehman Minibonds and DBS HIgh Notes 5 will have their complaints handled 'fairly and properly', prime minister Lee Hsien Loong assured on Sunday in his first remarks on the issue.

**** The Elected Presidency And Future Non-PAP Governments <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/the-elected-presidency-and-future-non-pap-govts/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen

**** The Untold Story Of "Growth" <http://thinkformesingapore.blogspot.com/2008/10/untold-story-of-growth.html>
by Think For Me, Singapore
I would now like to thank our government for their pursuit of "growth" for the benefit of us, Singaporeans and the degradation of our social and moral values.

**** Singapore Number 2 In Raising Electricity Tariffs <http://www.salary.sg/2008/singapore-number-2-in-raising-electricity-tariffs/>
by Salary.sg
Ok, let's be fair. It's the price /increase/ that puts us up there. Our electricity is the 12th priciest - not too bad.

**** An Experimental Housing Model? <http://ashesoftimes.blogspot.com/2008/10/experimental-housing-model.html>
by Ashes Of Times

**** Why I Don't Write About Singapore Politics? <http://blog.adolflam.com/2008/10/25/featured/politics-why-i-dont-write-about-singapore-politics/>
by The Constiution Times
Once we break out of the bipartisan trap, we can take an objective view on any problem.
/Unfortunately, a lot of problems do not have an objective view. Politics is about compromise./

**** Why Are Singaporeans Not Saving Enough? <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-are-singaporeans-not-saving-enough.html>
by My Singapore News
The CPF scheme is now a red herring. The Singaporeans are saving but spending at the same time. I should have called this saving scheme a myth.
/But the properties does have a value. The question is how can older Singaporeans make better use than this value, than just to die in./

**** A Rose-Tinted View Of Singapore's Education System <http://educononline.com/2008/10/26/a-rose-tinted-view-of-singapores-education-system/>
by Singapore Educational Consultants
One wonders how much of it is really due to the school system and the teachers in Singapore?
/Just because many enrolled in extra tuition doesn't necessarily diminishes contributions made by teachers in schools./

**** Singapore's Road Rules - As Taught To Me By Taxi Drivers <http://josh.sg/2008/10/singapores_road_rules_as_taugh.html>
by Josh Reviews Everything

**** Democracy In Singapore <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/10/25/nosplit/dt2501.xml#head2>
by Robert Amsterdam, Legal Counsel To Dr Chee Soon Juan, Telegraph
We call on the international community to stand together to defend this courageous man, whose personal sacrifices for the ideals of freedom and democracy have left him a hostage tothe whims of a government that has become used to acting with impunity against its own citizens.