[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 19 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Finally, An Apple Notebook Built With Green Credentials In Mind <http://blogs.zdnet.com/green/?p=1405>
by Heather Clancy, ZDNet.com

**** Why This Storm May Stay Away From Apple <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/business/19digi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Randall Stross, New York Times
Premium prices for premium products &mdash; surely this is a formula most unsuited for frugal times. But the analysts with whom I spoke aren't particularly concerned; all, it seems, list Apple as a buy.

**** On The Way Out: FireWire And Mate Screens? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9818>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
Apple has been unafraid to break with the past before, and unless sales of the new MacBook and MacBook Pro models were to drop precipitously, I fear that those of us who are unhappy will just have to live with the changes.

**** Twitter: We'll Announce Our Secret Business Model Early Next Year <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/10/twitter-we-ll-announce-our-secret-business-model-early-next-year>
by Henry Blodget, Silicon Alley Insider
Why is Twitter different than the 9,000 other Web 2.0 companies that are intending to figure out a revenue model eventually? Because people are /obsessed with it/.

**** The Woman In The Moon <http://www.granta.com/Magazine/Granta-103/The-Woman-in-the-Moon>
by Carol Ann Duffy

**** Sembawang Town Council To Make All Lifts In The Town CCTV-Ready <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383916/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
By March next year, 75 per cent of the total number of lifts will have cameras installed to monitor anti-social behaviour such as urinating and vandalism.

**** Sudden Recession? <http://www.staticvariable.net/wordpress/?p=26>
by StaticVariable

**** Taming The Southern Ridges... (Part 1) <http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2008/10/taming-southern-ridges-part-1.html>
by Singapore Short Stories

**** Chips Down For Asia Gaming <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iPEPMknRaWCW0URWC61ptEkfvbIA>
by AFP
The chips are down for Asia's gaming sector, which high rollers and other visitors expected to stay home as the world financial crisis takes it toll. But analysts say the squeeze is likely to be short-term, and Asia's gaming sector should weather the financial turmoil better than Las Vegas.

**** Singaporeans Find Their Voice In Financial Crisis <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j4-1KbeXXSRXr27XtlArzwb2wVJQ>
by AFP
In a country where protests are traditionally the domain of a tiny political opposition and a vocal group of human rights activists, the rally on October 11 by disgruntled financial investors was a rarity.

**** Of Singapore, And What It's Good For <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6d8f1cae-9cad-11dd-a42e-000077b07658.html>
by Tyler Brule, Financial Times
Rather than focusing on building a hothouse for creative minds, Singapore should bring in all the best financial whizz kids an dplay to its great national strength - service.

**** Planned Succession Makes Leadership Transitions In Singapore Stable, Says Chok Tong <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=365556>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
The culture of planned succession of prime ministers and ministers on the basis of merit has made political transitions in Singapore stable, orderly and predictable, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said Saturday.

**** PAP Makes No Apologies For Defamation Suits, Says Vivian Balakrishnan <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/pap-makes-no-apologies-for-defamation-suits-says-vivian-balakrishnan/>
by Terence Lee, The Online Citizen
Dr Balakrishnan said the government takes attacks on accuracy and integrity very seriously, because "establishing a high trust enivornment" is an advantage that gives Singapore an edge in a competitive global economy.
He said: "We don't mind political openness, but we don't want too much of the excitement. To the outsider, when they look at Singapore, they know that politics here is serious, it's accurate, it's real and accountable. It's not a situation you get in other countries. We're an outlier, but we are outlying because we want to keep our politics honest."

**** Government Looking At Helping Singaporeans Overcome Economic Hardship <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383781/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Senior minister Goh Chok Tong said the government is looking at how it can help Singaporeans overcome temporary economic hardship next year.