[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 13 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** iPhones Go To Front Of The Class At Texas University <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/101308-abilene.html?hpg1=bn>
by John Cox, Network World
When almost 1,000 freshman students showed up at Abilene Christian University on Aug 16, they got something more than the usual medical release forms, parking permits and Welcome Week t-shirts. Thye got a choice of a brand-spanking-new Apple iPhone 3G or iPod Touch, plus a package of ACU-written web applications to use on them.

**** Why I Switched To Mac - Yes "I'm Now A Mac" <http://www.jasonlarson.com/2008/10/12/why-i-switched-to-mac/>
by Jason Larson

**** Overfeeding On Information <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/fashion/sundaystyles/12news.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Alex Williams, New York Times
This explosion of information technology, when combined with an unusual confluence of dramatic &mdash; and ongoing &mdash; nes events, has led many people to conclude that they have given their lives over to a news obsession.

**** Amid The Gloom, An E-Commerce War <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/business/12giants.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin>
by Brad Stone, New York Times
E-commerce was once thought to be a refuge from economic storms. People who stay away from the mall might actually be more tempted to shop online and hunt for deals, or so the thinking went. But analysts are now revisiting that assumption.

**** In Defense Of Piracy <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122367645363324303.html>
by Lawrence Lessig, Wall Street Journal
This war must end. It is time we recognize that we can't kill this creativity. We can only criminalize it. We can't stop our kids from using these tools to create, or make them passive. We can only drive it underground, or make them "pirates." And the question we as a society must focus on is whether this is any good. Our kids live in an age of prohibition, where more and more of what seems to them to be ordinary behavior is against the law. They recognize it as against the law. They see themselves as "criminals." They begin to get used to the idea.

**** Late Bloomers <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10/20/081020fa_fact_gladwell>
by Malcom Gladwell, New Yorker
Why do we equate genius with precocity?

**** Sleep <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/10/20/081020fi_fiction_doyle>
by Roddy Doyle, New Yorker
It was the thing he'd always loved about her. The way she could sleep. When they'd just started going with each other, before they really knew each other, he'd lie awake, hoping she'd wake up, praying for it, dying. But even then he'd loved to look at her while she slept. There was something about it that made him feel lucky, or privileged. Or trusted. She could do that beside him, turn everything off, all the defenses, and let him watch her.

**** Poem By The Bridge At Ten-Shin <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/10/20/081020po_poem_seidel>
by Frederick Seidel, New Yorker

**** Nymph And Shepherd <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/10/20/081020po_poem_hall>
by Donald Hall, New Yorker

**** Singapore's Cbank Says Will Ensure Market Stability <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/10/12/afx5541363.html>
by Koh Gui Qing, Reuters

**** Lees Awarded Libel Damages <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_290052.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
The High Court has awarded prime minister Lee Hsien Loong $500,000 in damages and minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew $450,000 in damages in a defamation suit that both won against the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) and several of its leaders.

**** Foreign Workers And Public Transport <http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2008/10/foreign-workers-and-public-transport.html>
by Singapore Short Stories

**** Head Hunter Of Singapore <http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=&id=c676b0ee-2587-4247-9e8c-5e9933732e9a&MatchID1=4813&TeamID1=6&TeamID2=1&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1212&PrimaryID=4813&Headline=Head+hunter+of+Singapore>
by Vir Sanghvi, Hindustan Times
It's a dish that has always mystified me. Sometime in the 1970s, I first heard of the "famous Indian fish head curry" in Singapore. I had to say that I knew nothing about this 'famous Indian' curry.

**** Singapore's GIC Warns Against Over-Regulating Banks <http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=6944124&subject=economic&action=article>
by Kevin Lim, Reuters
The Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC), the world's third-largest sovereign fund, has warned against over-regulation amid efforts by governments to solve the financial crisis, saying it may stifle innovation.

**** RI And RJC To Merge <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_289217.html>
by Straits Times
Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College will merge in January so that its six-year integrated programme can be strengthened and made seamless.

**** Bridging The Gulf Between Sri Lanka And Singapore's Monetary Management: Fuss-Budget <http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/fullstory.php?nid=660836305>
by Lanka Business Online

**** Security Flaw In Booking System <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/281145.asp>
by S L Gan, Today
A passenger riding in one of the company's taxis had evidently read my booking request from the taxi driver's screen, saw my name, address and mobile number and started messaging me.

**** Time To Abolish Radio And TV Licence Fees? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,179858,00.html?>
by Reggie J, New Paper
MediaCorp should inform, educate and entertain the masses in a commercially viable way.
/MediaCorp, by virtue of given the public airwave to broadcast programmes and earn money, should bear the social responsibilities of broadcasting minority, children, and news programming./