[MyAppleMenu] Oct 6, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 6 13:15:02 EDT 2008

**** Not So Secret Apple <http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-10-05/not-so-secret-apple/>
by Nicholas Ciarelli, The Daily Beast
Lately, there are signs that Apple&mdash;long the most secretive company in the tech world&mdash;has thrown in the towel on fighting leaks.

**** Apple, A Fortress Of Secrecy? <http://blog.glassdoor.com/2008/10/05/apple-a-fortress-of-secrecy/>
by Ron Lussier, Glassdoor.com
I hope Apple will take their employee's comments seriously, and also treat developers more like partners than potential leaks.

**** In The Background <http://daringfireball.net/2008/10/in_the_background>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The only Cocoa Touch applications that run in the background are Phone, Mail, Safari, and iPod.

**** How Lawyers Practice Law And Serve Clients With Macs - Really! <http://www.themaclawyer.com/the_mac_lawyer/2008/10/how-lawyers-pra.html>
by Ben Stevens, The Mac Lawyer

**** iPhone Steals Lead Over Kindle <http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/02/stanza-kindle-iphone-tech-personal-cx_ag_ja_1002stanza.html>
by Andy Greenberg and James Erik Abels, Forbes
Stanza, a book reading application offered in Apple's iPhone App Store since July, has been downloed more than 395,000 times and continues to be installed at an average rate of 5,000 copies a day, according to Lexcycle, the three-person start-up that created the reading software.

**** Yet Another iPhone Emergency Call Security Bug <http://www.karlkraft.com/index.php/2008/10/03/yet-another-iphone-emergency-call-security-bug/>
by KarlKraft
If the phone is placed in emergency call mode, any incoming SMS messages are previewed instead of presented as generic messages.

**** The Joystick Of Sex <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/10/06/porn_pong/index.html?source=rss>
by Tracy Clark-Flory, Salon

>From the prostitutes of "Grand Theft Auto" to cutting-edge teledildonics, sex has fueled the gaming industry, as the author of "Porn &amp; Pong" explains.

**** Capitalism To The Rescue <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/magazine/05Green-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Jon Gertner, New York Times

**** Importing A Passion For Poetry <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2008/oct/06/poetry.in.translation>
by Sarah Maguire, The Guardian
If we could read the poets that move huge audiences elsewhere in the world, would it wake up our own?

**** Gold Boy, Emerald Girl <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/10/13/081013fi_fiction_li>
by Yiyun Li, New Yorker
He was raised by his mother alone, as she was by her father. She wondered if his mother, who had set up their date, had told him about that.

**** Eclogue <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/10/13/081013po_poem_reece>
by Spencer Reece, New Yorker

**** The Way <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/10/13/081013po_poem_goldbarth>
by Albert Goldbarth, New Yorker

by Channel NewsAsia
SingTel is increasing its local fixed line subscription by S$10 a year from January 1, 2009. Local fixed line call charges will go up from 0.7 to 0.8 Singapore cents per 30-second block during peak hours or per 60-second block during off-peak hours.
See Also: SingTel Sees Hit From Finance Crisis, To Cut Costs <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSIN13877620081006>, by Jennifer Tan, Reuters.

**** Singapore, Malaysia Expand Bilateral Air Services Agreement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/380589/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore and Malaysia have agreed to expand a bilateral air services agreement that will allow Low Cost Carriers to operate between Singapore and three cities in East Malaysia.

**** Singapore's Econ Slowdown To Last Several Quarters - Finance Minister <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/10/05/afx5510522.html>
by Reuters
Singapore will see an economic slowdown that could last several quarters as the subprime mortgage meltdown has evolved into a global economic crisis, finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said in remarks published on Monday.

**** Kindness An Act Of Obligation? <http://eugenechew.blogspot.com/2008/10/kindness-act-of-obligation.html>
by Eugene Chew, In God We Trust
Consumers should not be unnecessarily burdened with an initiative that is likely to only favour the management.

**** Stupid Move By NTU <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2008/10/stupid-move-by-ntu.html>
by Hard Hitting In The Lion City
In banning the broadcast... Chee Soon Juan now has more airplay than ever before.

**** NTU Students Come Alive <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1203-ntu-students-demonstrate-leadership>
by Singapore Democratic Party

**** Singapore Identity Under Oppression? <http://ian0304.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/singaporean-identity-under-oppression/>
by Lo Wei Liang Ian, Social Problems In A Global Context
With the government so much influencing key areas, are we who we are because of who we really are or is it because of what the government want us to be so that they can remain where they are?

**** Help With Electricity Hikes <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286475.html>
by Li Xueying, Straits Times
Measures to help ease the impact of the 'rather large' hike in electricity tariffs could be introduced in next year's budget. Finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam hinted at it yesterday during a dialogue with residents of Toa Payoh East.

**** Financial System Here Safe <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286471.html>
by Li Xueying, Straits Times
Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam assured that Singapore is 'not in the same situation as the US.' He said: "I can assure you our Singapore banks are well regulated and there is no risk and no reason whatsoever to have a run on our banks."

**** NTU Students Protest At Speakers' Corner <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/ntu-students-protest-at-speakers-corner/>
by Terence Lee, The Online Citizen
About 80 people attended the "Stand Up for Media Freedom" protest held yesterday, which consisted mainly of students.

**** Singapore: The Last Bastion Of Freedom <http://shianux.jiyuuu.org/2008/10/06/singapore-the-last-bastion-of-freedom/>
by The Legal Janitor
I'd rather pay our ministers and MPs tons of cash upfront, and have all that /transparency/ and /accountability/, rather than have them try to weasel up goodies off the books from supplicants trying to garner government favour.

**** Good Start <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286468.html>
by Kimberly Spykerman, Straits Times
Some improvements showing in clear-your-tray campaign.
/Let's be cynical here for a moment: is this just a ploy to reduce the service level provided at food courts without a corresponding reduction of prices? Will stall owners be charged a lower rent and be able to choose to pass on the savings back to the customers?/

**** Cop Blames Himself <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286467.html>
by Straits Times
"I am a murderer. If only I did not screen her on that day..."

**** New Objections To Dorms <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286434.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
More than 100 residents gathered at a local playground yesterday to voice their objections to a foreign worker dormitory planned for Serangoon Gardens.

**** Fixing The Kidney Deficit, Fast <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_286430.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
Once it is accepted that doing nothing about the situation is morally wrong, as it condones exploitation, it follows that the faster regulations are in place, the better for all.

**** Temasek To Target More Asian Investments <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/142c7f40-92f7-11dd-98b5-0000779fd18c.html>
by John Burton, Financial Times
Temasek Holdings, the Singapore state investment company, plans to use the proceeds from the sale of an Indonesian bank last week to make more investments in the Asian financial sector.

**** Becoming A World-Class University: NTU And Campus Media Freedom <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/becoming-a-world-class-university-ntu-and-campus-media-freedom/>
by Thaddeus Wee, The Online Citizen
We need to let intellectual opinion and ideas flow in order to validate or invalidate them. To deny the possibility of another opinion would mean to assume the infallibility of one's own opinion.