[MyAppleMenu] Nov 26, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 26 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** EFF: Apple DisplayPort DRM Will Lead To More Piracy <http://www.macworld.com/article/137148/2008/11/hdcp.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
"This is a remarkably short-sighted move for both Apple and Hollywood," wrote Fred von Lohmann, senior intellectual property attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "THis punishes existing iTunes customers." He also called new MacBook's a downgrade in everyone's previous investment in iTunes content.
/All DRM schemes &mdash; no matter how strict or generous &mdash; bascially punish honest customers./

**** Parallels Virtualization App Upgrade Sparks Outcry From Some Mac Users <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9121618&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Desktop for Mac 4.0 under fire on support forums, company says 'small number' affected.

**** QuickTime 7.5.7 For DisplayPort Allows Standard Definition Playback <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/25/quicktime-7-5-7-for-displayport-allows-standard-definition-playback/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
This latest update appears to remove the HDCP enforcement on standard definition content, which means that the current movie content purchased or rented on a Mac should playback unrestricted.

**** Google Admits Breaking App Store Rules <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10108348-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
A Google spokesman confirmed Tuesday that Google Mobile uses undocumented APIs in order to use the iPhone's proximity sensor to prompt a verbal search. Google has denied, however, a more serious charge that it was linking to private or dynamic frameworks in the Google Mobile application.

**** LogicControl 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/137145/2008/11/logincontrol.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** EFF Berates Apple Over Open-Source iTunes Project <http://www.macworld.com/article/137149/2008/11/ipodhash_eff.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
Apple's attempt to quash an effort to help the latest iPods and iPhones work with non-Apple software such as the Linux operating system is out of line, the Electronic Frontier Foundation said Tuesday.

**** Old Macs In The New Economy <http://lowendmac.com/ed/hatchett/08jh/new-economy.html>
by John Hatchett, Low End Mac

**** Judge: Apple's New VP Could Cause 'Irreparable Harm' To IBM <http://www.macworld.com/article/137141/2008/11/papermaster_ibm.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

**** Confirmed: Apple Now Price-Matches Any Item In Its Stores <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/11/25/confirmed-apple-now-price-matches-any-item-in-its-stores>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Review: Adobe InCopy CS4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/136961/2008/11/incopycs4.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Sally Zahner, Macworld
Adobe's latest version of InCopy, the companion program to InDesign that lets writers and editors work on a document concurrently with the designer, offers a host of significant new features and enhancmeents.

**** Sharing The Browser <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/21718/?a=f>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
Software lets workers collaborate online by clicking together.

**** Ray Ozzie Wants To Push Microsoft Back Into Startup Mode <http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-12/ff_ozzie>
by Steven Levy, Wired
Can Ray Ozzie fix the house that Bill built?

**** E-Commerce Shrinks For First Time, Research Firm Says <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/25/for-first-time-e-commerce-market-shrinks/>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

**** Betting On Mac And Cheese <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/dining/26feed.html>
by Alex Witchel, New York Times
Macaroni and cheese with Humboldt Fog, a high-end goat cheese from Northern California, is savory without being acrid, and creamy without being heavy.

**** The Circle Of Life With Bagels <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/dining/26bagel.html?_r=1>
by Mervyn Rothstein, New York Times
For Maria Balinska, it was never just bagels and yuks. "People used to laugh at me when I told them I was writing a book about bagels," she said. "I'd tell them It was actually quite serious."

**** Alone Together <http://nymag.com/news/features/52450/>
by Jennifer Senior, New York Magazine
Manhattan is the capital of people living by themselves. But are New Yorkers lonelier? Far from it, say a new breed of lonelines researchers, who argue that urban alienation is largely a myth.

**** Thanksigivng? No Thanks! <http://www.slate.com/id/2205363/?from=rss>
by Regina Schrambling, Slate
Why food writers secretly hate the November feast.

**** DBS And Me... (Two Emails) <http://ovidiayu.wordpress.com/2008/11/26/dbs-me-2-emails/>
by Ovidia Yu

**** Bangkok Airport Shut Down, Singapore TV News Covers It As Major News Item Again, And Again, And Again <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2008/11/bangkok-airport-shut-down-singapore-tv-news-covers-it-as-major-news-item.html>
by mrbrown
Ok, ok, we get it. Don't go Bangkok. Now please cover some news Singaporeans care about.

**** Singapore Wins Again <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1571&Itemid=181>
by Asia Sentinel
A high court judge reinvents Alice in Wonderland in a contempt case.

**** Town Councils' Sinking Funds Not Mismanaged, Says Teo Ho Pin <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/392409/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
In a statement to the media on Wednesday, he said town councils have been prudent because they understand their responsibility to residents.
/Channel NewsAsia uses the word "clarify" to describe Teo Ho Pin's words. I'd use the word "claim", because no where in this articele can I find any evidence that town councils are either "prudent" or "responsible" to residents./
/"Estate maintenance and improvement plans will not be affected," calimed Teo Ho Pin. That may simply mean that the PAP town councils have collected too much money in the sinking fund, such that losing a few millions here and a few millions there will "not affect" the plans./

**** Singapore Imposes Indefinite Suspension On Cluster Munitions Exports <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/392391/1/.html>
by Cheah Yean Ti, Channel NewsAsia
A joint statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Defence said that while Singapore is concerned about the humanitarian problems caused by the irresponsible and indiscriminate use of cluster munitions, it is impractical to impose a blanket ban on these weapons.
/This is not good enough. Singapore should sign the agreement, and stop manufacturing and remove all existing cluster bombs. "Responsible use of cluster munitions for self-defence" is a horrible excuse, as there are enough weapons in the world already for any kind of self-defence. I am disappointed by Singapore's government stand on this matter./

**** PowerSeraya Sale Shelved <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_306974.html>
by Fiona Chan, Straits Times
Temasek Holdins has halted its sale of power generation company PowerSeraya, as deepening pessimism about the global economy thwarts corporate deal-making plans around the world.

**** Seatless Cabins Won't Ease Crowded MRT <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_306866.html>
by Edward Say, Straits Times
The present press-formed seats have been shaped and sized to seat passengers compactly, with barely enough shoulder and leg room for a medium-built individual. Hence the converted space will in practice takes about the same number of standing passengers as seats removed, after allowing for shoulder room and room to avoid breathing down another passenger's neck. The net result of the exercise is thus no increase in space for more standing passengers and no more room for those who stand. Not surprisingly, this has been borne out by feedback from passengers.

**** Follow The Porridge <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/11/follow-leader.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

**** My Response To The TOC Article "SDP Misunderstood, Misguided Or Misaligned?" <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=1340>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
I hope Mr Lim realizes the wool that the mainstream media has pooled over everyone's eyes in tainting the SDP as a rogue or maverick party with little political agenda apart from breaking the law.