[MyAppleMenu] Nov 23, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 23 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** iPhone Firmware 2.2 Jailbroken! QuickPwn 2.2 Released! <http://gizmodo.com/5096867/iphone-firmware-22-jailbroken-quickpwn-22-released>
by Dan Nosowitz, Gizmodo

**** Sex Can't Sell On The iPhone: Wallpaper Universe Pulled From App Store <http://venturebeat.com/2008/11/22/sex-cant-sell-on-the-iphone-wallpaper-universe-pulled-from-app-store/>
by Mg Siegler, Venture Beat

**** Lessons Of Survival, From The Dot-Com Attic <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/business/23proto.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Leslie Berlin, New York Times
Dot-com survival rate is as good as or bettter than that for technologies like automobiles, tires and televisions in their formative years.

**** Goodbye, Girl <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/11/23/goodbye_girl/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
by Marianne Jacobbi, Boston Globe
No piece of clothing is as cloaked in history and dreams as the wedding dress.

**** Irony Is Dead. Again. Yeah, Right. <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/fashion/23irony.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Andy Newman, New York Times
Pity poor irony. Declared dead after 9/11, it staged a strong rally beneath a "Mission Accomplished banner, only to find itself in mortal danger once again.

**** Citigroup Down To $20.5B From $244B <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/11/citigroup-down-to-205b-from-244b.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council Says Part Of S$4m Investment Not Written Off <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/391733/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council said while it is looking at safer options for investing, it will also take into account what residents prefer. Speaking on the sidelines of a community event on Sunday, Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council chairman, Ahmad Magad, said the council has been communicating with some residents who have asked about the investments. And going forward, it will listen to what residents prefer.

**** Sunday Times Shooting "Honey-Coated" Arrows At Tan Kin Lian To Sabotage His Bid For Political Office <http://wayangparty.com/2008/11/23/sunday-times-shooting-honey-coated-arrows-at-tan-kin-lian-to-sabotage-his-bid-for-political-office/>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore
Mr Tan's latest announcement may not be too welcomed by certain quarters in the government going by the slant the state media has been adopting so far against him.

**** Red Alert: Tan Kin Lian For President!!! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/11/red-alert-tan-kin-lian-for-president.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind
I expect the PAP to now start mining for information on Mr. Tan.

**** Parents Disagree With Suggestion To Only Recruit Graduate Teachers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/391709/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Many parents have asked for non-academic achievements to be given greter prominence and to be included in key performance index.

**** Singapore Sizzles With The Best Street Food <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/holiday_type/food_and_travel/article5206780.ece>
by Anthony Capella, The Times
Any country that bans chewing gum can't be all bad, particularly when the same controlling attitude also created some of the world's most vibrant street food.

**** Tan Kin Lian Eyes Presidency <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_305814.html>
by Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times
The 60-year-old former chief executive officer of NTUC Income told The Sunday Times he is considering standing as Singapore's next elected president or contesting in the next general election as an independent candidate.
See Also: Tan Kin Lian Eyes Elected Presidency <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2008/11/tan-kin-lian-eyes-elected-presidency.html>, by Tan Kin Lian. "It is not my interest or amibition to stand for election. If I do not get 100,000 signatures, I have the excuse to opt out - that this is a bad idea."

**** Town Councils To Explain <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_305797.html>
by Tan Dawn Wei and Zureena Habib, Straits Times
Town councils must be accountable to their residents for what they do with the money they collect from them, said national development Mah Bow Tan. But the government should not meddle with how these funds are managed, just as it does not interfere with the town councils' other operations.