[MyAppleMenu] Nov 6, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 6 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** OmniOutliner Updated To Version 3.7.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/136600/2008/11/omnioutliner.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Apple App Store Refund Is Possible <http://cybernetnews.com/2008/11/05/apple-app-store-refund/>
by Cybernet

**** Joel's Role Leading Apple University <http://blog.openitstrategies.com/2008/11/joel-role-leading-apple-university.html>
by Joel West, Open IT Strategies
To quote my onetime hero, let me make one thing perfectly clear: Joel Podolny did not quit Yale to head internal training at Apple. I'd bet a year's mortgage payments on that.

**** Big Mean Folder Machine 1.5.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/136598/2008/11/bmfm.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
I've found Big Mean Folder Machine to be a huge time-saver when performing large file-organization jobs.

**** There's Nothing Easy About Letting Apple Into The Enterprise <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9118881&source=rss_topic123>
by Mary Brandel, Computerworld
While Apple will likely infiltrate more corporate environments - thanks to the enthusiasm it has generated in the consumer market and the enterprise-friendly features added to the Mac and iPhone - that doesn't mean it will be easy. Even Mac veterans say Apple doesn't always act like other technology partners and that doing what it takes to mix Apple into the environment takes time and research.
/Apple has never been about partnering &mdash; they have always been selling appliances, not 'technology solutions'./

**** Review: BBEdit 9.02 <http://www.macworld.com/article/136509/2008/11/bbedit902.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tom Negrino and Dori Smith, Macworld
If you really do need the full power of BBEdit, this new version is a good, if pricey, choice.

**** Steve Jobs: King Of Cash <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/11/05/tech-cash-kings-tech-enter-cx_bc_1105cashkings.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
The bottom line: Jobs is the king of cash, he can do anything.

**** Five Ways To Slim Down Your Mac OS X Install <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/11/05/five-ways-to-slim-down-your-mac-os-x-install>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica
There's lots of stuff in your install that you don't need, don't want, and will never use. A thoughfully slimmed-down OS X discards those unneeded elements and leaves you more room for the items yo do want.

**** Leopard One Year Later: 5 OS Lessons Learned <http://www.cio.com/article/459793/Leopard_One_Year_Later_OS_Lessons_Learned>
by Robert Lemos, CIO.com
Apple's Leopard version of its Mac OS X added more polish and features to the Mac desktop &mdash; and carried with it important lessons for operating systems of the future, even for arch-rival Microsoft.

**** Apple, Late To The Party &mdash; Again <http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3783011>
by Paul Rubens, Server Watch
Apple was late to the party moving to Intel processors, it's missing the enterprise OS party, and it doesn't seem to have heard of the party getting going in the cloud.

**** Why Apple's Sales Jumped In Japan <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/11/05/why-apples-sales-jumped-in-japan/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Apple iPod Creator Gets $300,000 Per Year For Advisory Role <http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40060/122/>
by Wolfgang Gruener, TG Daily

**** Jobs' Travel Expenses Continue To Rise <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/11/05/jobs.travel.expenses.rise/>
by MacNN
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is continuing to spend high amounts of money on private jet travel, figures from the Securities and Exchange Commission reveal.

**** MobileMe Stumbles Again, Goes Dark For Nearly 7 Hours <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9119199&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Even though Apple recently upgraded the back-end infrastructure of its problem-plagued MobileMe, the online service was offline for nearly seven hours on Monday, according to a web uptime-measurement company.

**** Filing Reveals Apple Employment Boom <http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Filing_reveals_soaring_Apple_employment33895914.html>
by Todd Bishop, TechFlash
Employment at Apple has risen nearly 50 percent during the past year, according to the company's annual 10-K report, filed this morning with the Securities and Exchange Commission. A large chunk of the employment increase was due to growth in Apple's retail segment.

**** MacBook Pro Is Built To Last <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/11/05/45TC-macbook-pro_1.html?sr=hotnews>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
On the criteria that matter most to me &mdash; durability, longevity, flexibility, power efficiency, and ecological impact &mdash; I've yet to come across a mainstream notebook that measures up to the unibody MacBook Pro. Apple's MacBook Pro is still the best notebook you can buy.

**** Jack Keane <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=996>
by Michael Yanovich, Inside Mac Games
All in all, it really isnt' a bad game. It's resonably fun, some of the puzzles can be enjoyable, the story is entertaining, the characters are ok. It just never breaks out of the realm of mediocrity into really good territory, though it does have the occasional slip into the weak side.

**** Sandvox Website Creation App Updated <http://www.macworld.com/article/136592/2008/11/sandvox.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
New features in Sandvox 1.5.2 include Autosave now being done in the background. Backups and snapshots also run in the background with the new version.

**** Apple Resonse On Norwegian iTunes Case Fails To Impress <http://www.macworld.com/article/136584/2008/11/itunes_norway.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Mikael Ricknas, IDG News Service
Norwegian Consumer Ombudsman Bjorn Erik Thon said: "It's a consumer's right to transfer and play digital content bought and downloaded frm the internet to the music device he himself chooses to use. iTunes makes this impossible or at least difficult, and hence, they act in breach of Norwegian law."

**** Roxio Updates Toast 9 And Streamer <http://www.macworld.com/article/136582/2008/11/toast.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Once Thought Safe, WPA Wi-Fi Encryption Is Cracked <http://www.macworld.com/article/136599/2008/11/wpa.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

**** Netbooks Come Into Their Own <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20081105/netbooks-come-into-their-own/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

**** Intel Dumps Ultra-Wideband Development <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/11/05/intel.exits.uwb.work/>
by Electronista

**** 30 Years Of /Dallas/ <http://www.reason.com/news/show/129264.html>
by Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch, Reason Magazine
THe TV show that won the Cold War.

**** What Michelle Can Teach Us <http://www.newsweek.com/id/166857/page/1>
by Allison Samuels, Newsweek
Forget Claire Huxtable. She could be a real-life role model for black women.

**** No Need To Draw On Reserves Yet, Says President Nathan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/388090/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singaproe To Become Water-Sufficient <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1525&Itemid=181>
by Ben Bland, Asia Sentinel
When Singapore's newest reservoir was opened this weekend, it was billed as the garden city's latest leisure hub, designed to attract boaters and picnickers keen to escape the hectic pace of urban life.
But the Marina Reservoir, the 15th to be built in Singapore and the first to be located in the city center, has a much more important role to play. It is the latest advance in the city-state's drive to wean itself away from imported water from Malaysia and its concomitant political entanglements. In the process, Singapore has emerged as an unlikely world leader in water conservation, reclamation and desalination.

**** The War Between Bloggers And Journalists Rages On <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/11/the-war-between-bloggers-and-journalists-rages-on-2/>
by Terence Lee, The Online Citizen
Yes, we should be critical of the mainstream press, but we must also be reminded of the realities in Singapore: where else can you get your daily dose of news about the local scene?

**** Public Funds: Be Safe, Not Sorry <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/285602.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Town councils that have invested in Lehman-linked products should inform their residents how much (or little) money they lost and what recourse (if any) has been sought. Residents should not have to wait until next April to find out these answers, if at all.

**** Awaiting Singapore's Moment Of Change <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/11/awaiting-singapores-moment-of-change/>
by Dhevarajan Devadas, The Online Citizen
The PAP titled its 2006 election manifesto "Staying Together, Moving Ahead." But it has failed to live up to this promise.

**** Passenger Load On Trains: What's Acceptable And What's Not <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_298881.html>
by Geoffrey Lim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times
At 1,600 passengers per train, the MRT pssenger density will translate to about 4.9 passengers per square metre, which is significantly lower than the actual loading density of 7.0 pasengers per square metre experienced on the Tokyo metro.
/I propose LTA start measuring with something that passengers can relate more: a) what is the maximum time for a passenger to alight a train, when nobody else is getting off the train, b) how big a newspaper/magazine can one read comfortably: Penguin Classic, Today, or Straits Times./

**** Tiered Electricity Tariff Will Benefit Needy <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_298887.html>
by Sylvia Lim, Straits Times
Even if the provider needs to recoup the same total revenue, this can be achieved where the baseline consumption rate is significantly below 30.45 cents per unit while consumption in the subsequent tiers is charged at progressively higher rates.
/Non-green event organisers like F1 should, especially, pay a significantly higher tariff than the rest of us. I support Sylvia Lim in this issue./

**** SIA Charge For Legroom Doesn't Make Sense <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_298885.html>
by Jeffrey Chan, Straits Times
In a post-9/11, terror-threatened world, does SIA truly want to offer passengers who harbour ill intentions an additional option of guaranteeing a certain seat beforeand, a seat tha talso offers maximum mobility in that cabin class?