[MyAppleMenu] Mar 31, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 31 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Outspring Mail Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/132757/2008/03/outspring.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Sorenson Squeeze 5 Does Multi-File Encoding <http://www.macworld.com/article/132756/2008/03/squeeze.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Temptation <http://digicasts.org/blog/?p=329>
by Digicasts
The key draw to the iPhone was to have the internet wherever you are.

**** Macbook Air - 1St Week Impressions <http://uninteresting.org/nerd/?p=28>
by Uninteresting :: Nerd
I used it /on the toilet/ today... that should give an impression of how portable it is.

**** Why Apple Have Got It Right <http://www.nigelcooke.com/?p=175>
by Monkeynuts - Gadgets, Gaming And Life
The Apple store is like a breath of fresh air.

**** Apple Has Biggest Impact On World Consumers: Survey <http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=apple-has-biggest-impact>
by Rachel Sanderson, Reuters

**** Five Things I Love/Hate About The iPhone <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9905921-16.html>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
It's interesting to see that some of the iPhone's greatest strengths pave the way for its greatest weaknesses.

**** iPods And Similar Devices Found Not To Affect Pacemaker Function <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080329083529.htm>
by ScienceDaily

**** What Do Kids Want? <http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120647629738663217-_9s8OPhOz78bCWfPbU61opw915o_20080429.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
by Kevi J. Delaney, Wall Street Journal
For children raised on the web browser, a new computer proved to be less of a hit than one parent expected.

**** We Want It, And Waiting Is No Option <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/31/business/media/31carr.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by David Carr, New York Times
According to Mr. Shirky, consumers expect exactly what they want, when and how they want it. Music sellers, networks and movie studios are adjusting to a new paradigm where the customer is not only always right, but expects to be able to exercise that judgment with a flick of a finger.

**** The Tech World's Lesson For Newspapers, Traditional Media <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080330-the-tech-worlds-lesson-for-newspapers-traditional-media.html>
by Timothy B. Lee, Ars Technica

**** The Art Of Having A Baby <http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/visualart/story/0,,2269254,00.html>
by Laura Cumming, Guardian
Fertility in art is generalised, if I may so generalise. It is an attribute in search of a body.

**** Pilot Pleads Guilty To Entering Singapore's Airspace Without Certificate Of Airworthiness <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/338417/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

**** Approval Period For Home Office Scheme Extended To 5 Years <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/338376/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

>From 1 April, Home Office Scheme approvals granted by the Housing and Development Board (HDB) and Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) for new applications and renewals will be valid for five years - up from the current three years.

**** Land Transport Masterplan <http://app.lta.gov.sg/ltmp/pdf/LTMP_Report.pdf>
by Land Transport Authority, Singapore Government
(Note: PDF document.)

**** No Female Full Minister In Cabinet <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/03/31/no-female-full-minister-in-cabinet/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
The PAP's failure to appoint a female full minister is becoming more than an oversight. It is at once a reflection and symptom of its inability to appeal to women.

**** One More Word From Those Feminist... <http://hewhostandswithmewillbemybrother.blogspot.com/2008/03/one-more-word-from-those-feminist.html>
by Last Commie Stronghold

**** The Incredible Shrinking Prime Ministership <http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2008/03/incredible-shrinking-prime-ministership.html>
by Tang Li, Desparatebeep
Leadership is more than just taking credit for the good time.

**** My Right To Offend You <http://alsblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/my-right-to-offend-you/>
by Thoughts On Freedom
There is one ideal that unites all those who love liberty, a concept that also unites the free world - the right to speak freely. Freedom of speech is not the right to say anythign to anyone. There are caveats... That said, the act of 'causing offence' is most definitely not an exception. As Orwell wrote over 60 years ago, it is the esence of free speech.
See Also:
Thoughts On "Fitna" <http://epiunleashed.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/thoughts-on-fitna/>, by Epistole Online.
Bombard Me With Your Thoughts <http://nazsyima.livejournal.com/170283.html>, by Smile In The Morning.

**** Are Singaporeans Really Paying For Foreign Scholars In Singapore <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2008/03/28/are-singaporeans-really-paying-for-foreign-scholars-in-singapore/>
by Ian On The Red Dot

**** Taiwan's President-Elect Asked Not To Visit Pro-China Singapore <http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/news/article_1397553.php/Taiwans_president-elect_asked_not_to_visit_pro-China_Singapore>
by Monsters And Critics
Taiwan-based Tibetans on Sunday urged Taiwan's president-elect Ma Ying-jeou not to visit Singapore because the city state has supported China's recent crackdown in Tibet.
After China cracked down on the riots in the Tibetan capital in mid-March, Singapore and Russia were the first countries to issue a statement supporting China's suppression, saying they were legitimate moves to maintain social order.

**** When Crude Prices Come Down, Shouldn't Pump Prices Also Drop? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/245713.asp>
by Raymond Lo Wan Mou, Today

**** The Stupid Things I Did At The Malaysian Custom <http://www.wilfridwong.com/2008/03/31/the-stupid-things-i-did-at-the-malaysian-custom/>
by WilfridWong.com
When I was young and needed to travel overseas on my own, my dad always made sure that all the new items I carried across the border would have the original packaging removed.

**** Forgot This? Soon, You Can Use This <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_222111.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
By around mid-year, a new service will allow drivers to pay electronic road pricing (ERP) charges when they settle their monthly credit card bill.