[MyAppleMenu] Mar 29, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 29 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple's Influence On The Smartphone Market Is Painfully Obvious <http://neror.com/2008/03/28/apples-influence-on-the-smartphone-market-is-painfully-obvious.html>
by Nathan Eror
Yes, the iPhone is a gorgeous piece of hardware, but, like every other Apple computer, the true power lies in the softare.

**** Canada: Where Art Thou iPhone? <http://www.markevanstech.com/2008/03/28/canada-where-art-thou-iphone/>
by Mark Evans
It's hard to believe the iPhone has been out there for nearly a year... and there are absolutely, positively no signs that it's coming to Canada.

**** Prediction: Apple Will Eventually Dominate The Tech Industry <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9905428-17.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Apple is very much in the driver's seat as it enters the next decade. Sure, quite a few things can happen between then and now, but Apple's position in the market is second to none.

**** Vendors In Battle Of Mindshare Vs. Market Share <http://rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/FREE/390220706/1015>
by Phil Carson, RCR Wireless News
The pursuit of mindshare and market share &mdash; buzz and bigness, if you like &mdash; poses an intriguing dichotomy. The two concepts are linked, though not necessarily by causality. Mindshare may lead to market share, a move now underway at Apple with the iPhone. Market share delivers an audience, but capturing mindshare isn't guaranteed &mdash; arguably, a perennial challenge for Nokia, which has run away with the global handset market over the past several years. Arguably, to thrive, you need to attain a measure of both objectives.

**** City Apple Store Opening In 'Late SUmmer' <http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=b56921e6-8bd6-44a9-8f01-b7723f8e7f4a&k=34996>
by Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Mac-heads who have been anxiously watching the Apple-emblazoned construction hoarding in Pacific Centre Mall still have a bit of a wait before they can get a technology fix at a flagship Apple Inc. store.

**** Living With The Trojan iBrain <http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article3640139.ece>
by Michael Parsons, The Times
After finally getting my hands on an iPhone, the cruel genius of what Apple has done to the mobile market becomes clear. Welcome to the Trojan iBrain!

**** Mac BU Promises Bibliography Improvments <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/29/mac-bu-promises-bibliography-improvements-to-office-2008>
by Jonathan M. Gitlin, Ars Technica

**** Apple Slips Out Apple TV 2.0.1 Update <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/28/apple_slips_out_apple_tv_2_0_1_update.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

**** Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords <http://www.macworld.com/article/132732/2008/03/puzzlequest_challenge.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Puzzle Quest is a unique melange of RPG and match-three puzzle games that offer enduring and challenging gameplay. It's just a shame that a demo isn't available and that PowerPC Macs can't run the game.

**** Moneydance 2008 Improves Interface <http://www.macworld.com/article/132746/2008/03/moneydance.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple Becomes First Victim In Hacking Contest <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9529>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS
With Leopard, all the hooks are there for a very secure operating system. We just need to continue to pressure Apple to finish implementation and make it far more diffcult for our platform of choice to lose next year's contest.

**** Where's The Desktop Love? <http://www.macworld.com/article/132737/2008/03/imacupdate.html>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
Please, Apple, don't forget the desktop.

**** iPhone Hackers Look To An Uncertain Future <http://www.macworld.com/article/132675/2008/03/iphone_sdk_jailbreak.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
For those who have been developing iPhone software via the unauthorized process called jailbreaking, the announcement raises questions about whether the thriving underground iPhone development market will continue or whither away into a small collection of carrier-unlocking hacks.

**** Mac Easiest To Hack, Says $10,000 WInner <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9072959&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The security researcher who walked away with $10,000 yesterday by hacking a MacBook Air in less than two minutes said he chose to attack Apple Inc..'s operating system for one simple reason.
"It was the easiest one of the three," said Charlie Miller, ananalyst at Independent Security Evaluators (ISE). "We wanted to spend as little time as possible coming up with an exploit, so we picked Mac OS X."

**** The 10 Best 'Broken' Technologies <http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=12557>
by John Brandon, PC Advisor
How to fix UMPCs, e-books, web 2.0 and more.

**** Words Will Tell <http://measureformeasure.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/words-will-tell/index.html?ref=opinion>
by Andrew Bird, New York Times
What is becoming more challenging of late is dealing with so many fully formed melodies that are unwilling to change their shape for any word. So writing lyrics becomes like running multiple code-breaking programs in your head until just the right word with just the right number of syllables, tone of vowel and finally some semblance of meaning all snap into place.

**** 'Nobody Ever Did Want Me' <http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2269001,00.html>
by Margaret Atwood, Guardian
The story of an orphaned, talkative, redheaded 11-year-old sent to a remote farm by mistake, Anne of Green Gables was an instant success in 1908 and, a century later, is still loved by girls from Canada to Japan.

**** For Sale: My Past, $348.20 <http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-grobel28mar28,0,1705142.story>
by Lawrence Grobel, Los Angeles Times
We printed 2,000 copies of each issue and sold them for 50 cents each. So, imagine my surprise when I recently discovered that Amazon.com had a listing under my name that said: "SATYR. Paperback. Used. $366."

**** Writing The Nation <http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10093>
by Philip Hensher, Prospect
The "state of the nation" novel is back in fashion, with recent examples from Hanif Kureishi, Sebastian Faulks and Louis de Bernieres. But many of these books focus too closely on "authentic" period detail at the expense of convincing characters and stories.

**** The Price Is Right <http://www.slate.com/id/2187511/?from=rss>
by Tim Harford, Slate
Does evolution explain why we hate to pay more for scarce goods?

**** Fox On The Run <http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1725955,00.html>
by James Poniewozik, Time
For better or worse, Fox became the signal cultural artifact of the Bush era, so it will need to remodel itself again.

**** Hope Spreads From Tsunami <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2008/3/29/columnists/insightdownsouth/20784842&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
For younger Singaporeans who want political change the defining March 8 general election in Malaysia has come as an encouragement and morale booster.

**** Singapore, Creation Of A Deviant Class: The Rich And Successful <http://larene.blogspot.com/2008/03/singapore-creation-of-deviant-class.html>
by Society's Best Kept Secrets

**** Traffic In Singapore <http://vynny.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/traffic-in-singapore/>
by In Between

**** Singapore Says FTA With Taiwan Possible Without Politics <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g4hIh6HnlHR4Ono3wZnMce16e16w>
by AFP
Singapore Saturday expressed optimism about enhanced economic cooperation with Taiwan as long as issues involving trade are not politicised.
A foreign ministry spokesman said free trade discussion in 2001 were stopped after the government of outgoing president Chen Shui-bian politicised the issue by trying to go beyond World Trade Organisation (WTO) framework.

**** Singapore Again <http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2008/new/mar/29/today-o3.htm>
by Sun Youlian, Liberty Times

**** DPM Wong Kan Seng Says Release Of Dutch Film Regrettable <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/338010/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
THe release of a Dutch film on Islam is regrettable and offensive to Muslims, deputy prime minister and home affairs minister Wong Kan Seng said in a written reply to media queries on the film.

**** How The Government Helps Singaporeans Cope With Inflation <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-government-helps-singaporeans-cope.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
The government's best idea for helping Singaporeans cope with inflation is &mdash; nothing, really.

**** PM Lee Unveils Cabinet Changes <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/338040/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has made changes to his cabinet, which sees new ministers appointed for law, education, manpower and five promotions.

**** Price Of CashCard To Go Up As Nets Offsets Cost Of Card <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/245435.asp>
by Jinny Koh, Today