[MyAppleMenu] Mar 26, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 26 13:15:03 EDT 2008

**** Gartner Analyst Stokes 3G iPhone Rumors <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/26/gartner_analyst_stokes_3g_iphone_rumors.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider
An analyst for market research firm Gartner said Tuesday he believes Apple to have placed orders for 10 million 3G iPhones which would employ a more odern form of display screen that could pave the way for a slimmer handset with improved battery life.
/I wonder where's the Apple's filing with FCC which, Steve Jobs predicted, will surely be leaked to the media?/

**** Amazon Takes On Apple With Copy-Protection-Free Music <http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2008-03-25-sony-music-service_N.htm>
by Jefferson Graham, USA Today
The music industry is fianlly comfortable selling digital music without copy protection, but the huge shift hasn't resulted in dramatically higher sales.
Instead, it produced something that major music labels have long sought: a strong No. 2 competitor to Apple.

**** Yahoo Messenger 7 Adds Phone, SMS, Voicemail, More <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/03/26/yahoo.messenger.7.for.mac/>
by MacNN

**** Perils Of Joining The iPod Nation <http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/commentary/alttext/2008/03/alttext_0326>
by Lore Sjoberg, Wired
I want /useful/ playlists. I want "Tori Amos songs that make a damn lick of sense."

**** Review: Chax Adds To iChat What Apple Won't <http://www.instantmessagingplanet.com/public/article.php/3736506>
by Michael Hall, Instant Messaging Planet.com

**** The iPhone As A Physician Resource <http://pharmexec.findpharma.com/pharmexec/Marketing/The-iPhone-as-a-Physician-Resource/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/505159?contextCategoryId=43753>
by George Koroneos, PharmExec

**** Redmond, Where's Your Photocopy Machine?
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
It seems that what Microsoft customers really want <http://www.cnet.com.au/software/operatingsystems/0,239029541,339287669,00.htm> is for Vista to be more like Leopard.

**** The New Apple TV: A True Multimedia Device <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=15&articleId=9069798&intsrc=hm_topic>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
I have to say that the new Apple TV has more than lived up to my early expectations and truly blew away my previous experiences.

**** Why A .Mac Service For PCs Could Be In The Cards <http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/03/why-mac-for-a-p.html>
by Kevin Tofel, jkOnTheRun
I think the browser was just the beginning and Apple is poised to leverage "switcher" households and homes that have both PCs and Macs playing nicely. I realize how much .Mac integrates into the OS, but I think there's a case to be made here. Especially when .Mac earns Apple $99 a year in revenue per user.

**** Turning Over A New Leaf At Quark <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39372587,00.htm>
by Adrian Bridgwater, ZDNet.co.uk
Criticised heavily in recent times for selling what some believe to be an overpriced and outdated product with a lack of customer support, Quark is at pains to affirm that it has finally got its house in order.

**** Why Apple Is Investing In WebKit Performance <http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2008/03/24/why-apple-is-investing-in-webkit-performance/>
by Kevin Dangoor, SitePen Blog
Considering that the iPhone is much, much slower than the computers that Apple sells, squeezing more performance out of the browser will have a far greater visible impact on an iPhone than it would on a Mac.
/The probably unanswered question is why Safari on Windows. Hopefully, we'll get a totally wide and great idea on one of these Tuesdays./

**** The iPhone Is No Desktop <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2278816,00.asp>
by John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine
I'm not denying that the trend in computing is moving away from the desktop machine. I'm just saying that this is not a train I'm ready to ride.

**** Good-Bye Desktop PC, Hello iPhone <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2278817,00.asp>
by Lance Ulanoff, PC Magazine
The vast majority of consumers and businesspeople simply need their PCs to handle e-mails, web browsing, instant messaging, phone calls, word processing, videos, and photos. If they can get all of this from something that fits in their pocket and is ready to do their bidding anytime and anywhere, then why have a PC at all?

**** Apple MacBook Air Ultraportable Laptop <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143727-c,macnotebooks/article.html>
by Darren Gladstone, PC World
The air is a victory of industrial design and single-minded purpose. It has decent performance for an ultraportable, but few standout features to speak of beyond the superficial. And yet, I still can't help wanting to stop and touch it.
/Few standout feature when compared with other ultraportable? How about Mac OS X, which no other ultraportable has?/

**** Microsoft Looks To Cash In On The iPhone <http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/03/25/microsoft-looks-to-cash-in-on-the-iphone/>
by Jon Fortt, Fortune
Don't think for a minute that Microsoft is ignoring the iPhone. In fact, the software giant is probing the gadget for profit opportunities.

**** Review: Mail 3.2 E-Mail Software <http://www.macworld.com/article/132629/2008/03/apple_mail.html>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld
While many users may not find Mail's new features useful, some will welcome the ability to organize other types of information in a program they have open all day long.

**** Attention To Detail <http://blog.adpinion.com/index.php/2008/03/25/attention-to-detail/>
by Buttons Of Judgement
It's like the uncanny GUI valley: the closwer Firefox gets to emulating a real application, the more alarm bells start ringing when something's just a bit off.
/I haven't seen a cross-platform toolkit that can do UI look-and-feel right./

**** Analysts: Mozilla's Safari Complaints 'Much Ado About Nothing' <http://www.macworld.com/article/132678/2008/03/mozilla.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1 Released <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9524>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** MacBook Air: The Proof's In The Packing <http://www.macworld.com/article/132664/2008/03/macbookairproofpacking.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
For people who value light weight, and are willing to give up other features to get it, the MacBook Air is a /compelling/ machine. What's more, I think I underestimated the appeal fo the Air as a primary computer.

**** First Look: Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 For Mac OS X <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/25/adobe-photoshop-elements-6-for-mac-os-x>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica
It's just not possible to lavish enough praise on Adobe for getting Photoshop Elements 6 running on Intel, even if took nearly three years.

**** Apple Updates PluginManager For Pro Apps <http://www.macworld.com/article/132685/2008/03/pluginmanager.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** New York Apple Stores Sold Out Of iPhones <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/25/new-york-apple-stores-sol_n_93328.html>
by Danny Shea, Huffington Post

**** The Security Mindset <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/03/the_security_mi.html>
by Bruce Schneier
If more people had a security mindset, services that compromise privacy wouldn't have such a sizable market share &mdash; and Facebook would be totally different.

**** Citigroup: Microosft Likely To Raise Bid For Yahoo <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/25/Citigroup-says-Microsoft-likely-to-raise-bid-for-Yahoo_1.html>
by Linda Rosencrance, Computerworld
Microsoft will most likely increase its initial $44.6 billion bid for Yahoo, according to a Citigroup Investment Research analyst.

**** Spaghetti Stir-Fry And Hambagoo: Japan Looks West <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26japan.html?ex=1364270400&en=bdabf559d72c37e9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Norimitsu Onishi, New York Times
At once familiar and alien, these dishes may make Americans feel, with some justification, that they have wndered into a parallel culinary universe. All are standards of a style of Japanese cuisine known as yoshoku, or "Western food," in which European or American dishes were imported and, in true Japanese fashion, shaped and reshaped to fit local tastes.

**** How To Survive In New York On 99 Cents <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/dining/26ninety.html?_r=1&ex=1364270400&en=41ce68c5d71904b8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Henry Alford, New York Times
When I heard that the food you can by at 99-cent stores is more diverse than you might imagine, I decided to conduct an experiment. I'd make dinner every night for a week using mostly ingredients bought at these stores and then, on the eighth night &mdash; once I'd gotten my game down &mdash; I'd prepare a meal for friends made /only/ from ingredients bought at 99-cent stores.

**** No Trash Talking At This Museum To The Clean Team <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/25/AR2008032503463.html>
by David Segal, Washington Post
The soon-to-be-unveiled museum devoted to the sanitation workers of New York &mdash; do /not/ call them garbagemen &mdash; will prompt smart alecks to wonder: Are they just cranking out museums for anybody these days?

**** Singapore To Scale Down Manhunt For Terror Fugitive Who Escaped From Prison Last Month <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/26/asia/AS-GEN-Singapore-Terror-Suspect.php>
by Associated Press
Singapore's security forces will scale back a nationwide ground search for a top Muslim terror suspect who made a stunning escape from a high-security prison one month ago, the deputy prime minister said Wednesday.
He gave no reason for the change in tactics. But efforts to track down Mas Selamat have no doubt been costly.

**** Samui 'Panic Pilot' Still Held In Singapore <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=126731>
by DPA

**** Creativity - Does Daddy Know Best? <http://creativespark.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/creativity-does-daddy-know-best/>
by Creative Spark

**** Police Changing Strategies In Hunt For Mas Selamat <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_220664.html>
by Tracy Sua, Straits Times

**** If Only Singaporeans Are Like Malaysians <http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.com/2008/03/if-only-singaporeans-are-like.html>
by Where Bears Roam Free

**** Bright Ideas Aplenty, But Where's The Money? <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/Prime+News/Story/STIStory_220466.html>
by Joanne Lee, Straits Times
In recent years, Singapore has seen an influx of venture capitalists (VCs) setting up their Asian offices here. But Creative remains one of the rare home-grown technology companies that VCs call a 'double-digit-bagger' - an investment that returns more than 10 times the initial investment.
The problem is that until there are more Sim Wong Hoos soundblasting their way to the big time, there seem to be few angels willing to bridge the financing gap.

**** Singapore Banks Pursue India, The Next Frontier <http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,272524,00.html>
by Chow Penn Nee, Business Times Singapore
Having already established a foothold in China, Singapore's banks are now broadening their presence in India, the other burgeoning global economic powerhouse.
See Also:<br/>Singapore To Dig Out Business Opportunities In Northern India <http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Singapore-to-dig-out-business-opportunities-in-northern-India/288355/>, by Preeti Parashar, Financial Express.

**** Green Plan Keeping Singapore In Sync With Nature <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/Review/Others/STIStory_220528.html>
by Lee Poh Onn, Straits Times

**** Rich Content Abounds <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/244763.asp>
by Lee Chor Lin, National Museum of Singapore, Today
We learn from your disappointment that we must publicise more widely and diligently the rich content which the museum has in our permanent galleries.

**** 1 Hour Of Total Darkness? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/244783.asp>
by Jinny Koh, Today
Proponents of Earth Hour 2008, a worldwide effort to create awareness about global warming, are urging Singaporeans to switch off all lights for that hour.

**** Singapore Gains A New Dimension, On Google Earth <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_220538.html>
by Tan Weizhen, Straits Times
A growing number of businesses and individuals are customising parts of the map of Singapore on Google Earth, and, are using it as a marketing tool, to exchange notes, or to indulge in a hobby that is catching on - 3-D modelling.