[MyAppleMenu] Mar 23, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 23 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple MacBook <http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/180681/apple-macbook.html>
by PC Pro
The MacBook's intoxicating blend of design, portability and power is still fantastically alluring.

**** Why Old Technologies Are Still Kicking <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/technology/23digi.html?_r=1&oref=login>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times

**** War Dodgers <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/magazine/23wwln-essay-t.html?ref=magazine>
by Ben Ehrenreich, New York Times
While Canada is still a relative haven for asylum-seekers, its immigration laws have tightened sharply, and prime minister Stephen Harper has been a faithful ally of the Bush administration.

**** A Tree Grows In The Haight-Ashbury <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/23/CM6PU9LSN.DTL>
by Laura Fraser, San Francisco Chronicle
Not long after I moved into the Haight-Ashbury, more than 20 years ago, a hippie friend gave me a redwood seedling and told me to go plant a tree.

**** The Fuzzier Crystal Ball <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/weekinreview/23iztkoff.html?ref=books>
by Dave Itzkoff, New York Times
In a world where technology evolves so rapidly that the present already feels like the future, will a modern-day author ever inherit Mr. Clarke's aura of prescience? Do any of his successors share his apparent talent for envisioning technological breakthroughs before they are realized?

**** The China Card <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/books/review/Kaplan-t.html?ref=books>
by Robert D. Kaplan, New York Times
While the United States remains focused on the Middle East, China quietly and relentlessly creeps forward as a national security challenge.

**** Horror! Suspense! Censorship! <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/20/AR2008032002965.html>
by Dennis Drabelle, Washington Post
A cultural critic recounts how comics were ripped out of kids' grubby hands.

**** The Brothel Creeper <http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1306267,00.html>
by Sebastian Horsley, The Observer
I am a connoisseur of prostitution: I can take its bouquet, taste it, roll it around my mouth, give you the vintage.

**** To Protest Or Not? <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2008/03/to-protest-or-not.html>
by Yaw Shin Leong

**** Singapore Media Spinning Tales Again And Again... <http://majulah.xblogger.net/index.php/2008/03/23/singapore-media-spinning-tales-again-and-again/>
by Majulah Singapura
Smetimes I wonder why Singapore government is being so nasty to its poorer Johor Bahru cousins by constantly using subliminal methods into tricking Singaporeans not to go over and spend their precious earnings.

**** Another JI Member Detained Under ISA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/336758/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
Rijal Yadri Jumari, 27, was arrested in February for his involvement in the terrorist group, the home affairs ministry said on Sunday. The ISA order against Rijal was issued three days ago.

**** Employment Statistics <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/03/23/uniquely-singapore/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Government Advised Not To Tolerate Harassment Of Indonesians By Singapore <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2008/3/22/govt-advised-not-to-tolerate-harassment-of-indonesians-by-spore/>
by Antara News
The Indonesian government should always pro actively protect the dignity of the Indonesian nation and its citizens in the eyes of the international community and not tolerate acts of harassment such as Singaporean authorities committed against two Indonesians at Changi airport on Thursday, an academic said.
Prof Dr Suhaidi SH, an international law expert at North Sumatra University, was commenting on the detention for more than two hours of senior Indonesian lawyers Adnan Buyung Nasuton and Abdul Rahman Saleh by Singaporean authorities at Changi airport on Thursday night.

**** Pork Barrel Politics In Malaysia... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/03/pork-barrel-politics-in-malaysia.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** 'Obama Fever' HIts Young Singaporeans <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_219628.html>
by Shuli Sudderuddin, Straits Times
Some young Singaporeans seem to have caught the 'Obama' fever as Americans prepare to elect a new president in November.
Much of the buzz here extols Mr Obama's message of change.