[MyAppleMenu] Mar 6, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 6 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple's New MacBook Pro Offers Style, Substance <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=acr_.HZEibmI&refer=muse>
by Grace Aquino, Bloomberg

**** Review: MacBook Core 2 Duo/2.1GHz And 2.4GHz <http://www.macworld.com/article/132362/2008/03/macbookcore2duo.html>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
Minor update brings performance boost, larger hard drives, and more RAM.

**** iPod Goes To School <http://washingtontimes.com/article/20080306/CULTURE/854429863/1015>
by Audra Taylor, Washington Times
In the world of constant connectivity of today's youths, technologies such as the Apple iPod and iPhone, paired with the vast media capabilities of iTunes, present a constant and powerful influence.

**** International iPod Prices Take A Dive <http://www.macuser.com/ipod/international_ipod_prices_take.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Moren, MacUser

**** Open Letter To Steve Jobs: In Support Of An iPod Reader <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9487>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Leap 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132363/2008/03/leap1.html>
by Dan Miller, Macworld
Leap is a great introduction to the world of tag-centric file management.

**** CFO: Apple "Not Wedded" To Exclusive Carrier Deals <http://www.macworld.com/article/132378/2008/03/cfomstech.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
For the second time in as many weeks, a senior Apple executive has suggested that the company's current pattern of exclusive iPhones deals with cell phone carriers may not be only way to go.

**** Adobe Bites Its Tongue After iPhone Flash Jab <http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9886265-60.html>
by Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

**** OmniGraffle 5: Make Diagrams People Actually Want To Look At <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/05/omnigraffle-5-make-diagrams-people-actually-want-to-look-at>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** "The Connection Has Been Reset" <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200803/chinese-firewall>
by James Fallows, The Atlantic
China's Great Firewall is crude, slapdash, and surprisingly easy to breach. Here's why it's so effective anyway.

**** True Or False: Book Publishers Can Avoid THe Agony Of Deceit <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/04/AR2008030403190.html>
by Bob Thompson, Washington Post
Two words: Fact check!

**** The Man Who Ruined The Novel <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2008/03/06/robbe_grillet/>
by Stephen Marche, Salon
Alain Robbe-Grillet turned the masses against inventive fiction. Now that he's dead, will experimental writing make a comeback?

**** Coming Up: Changi Airport Terminal 4 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_214016.html>
by Straits Times
To fend off competition from other airports in the region, Singapore will be building a fourth passenger terminal at Changi Airport, said minister of state for transport Lim Hwee Hua in parliament.

**** Speech By Mr Raymond Lim, Minister For Transport, At The Committee Of SUpply Debate On Lnad Transport (Part 1) <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20080306985.htm>
by Singapore Government
To ensure that we have a liveable city. This is our overriding goal and it forms the basis for our land transport policies.

**** Man Shot Dead By Police In Outram Park MRT <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_214009.html>
by Elena Chong and Carolyn Quek, Straits Times
A man was shot dead by a police officer at the Northeast Line platform in Outram Park MRT station at about 3.35 pm on Thursday.
Police spokesman Danny Tan told reporters that the man, aged 43, tried to attack the cop with a dagger. The spokesman said the man had earlier stabbed a middle-aged man at Jalan Kukoh, not far away from the Outram Park MRT station, over a dispute.

**** Singapore's Budget Terminal To Be Expanded To Handle 7M Passengers A Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_214004.html>
by Straits Times
The expansion project will involve the addition of seven check-in counters and the installation of additional baggage handling equipment. Three more passenger boarding gates will be constructed, bringing the total number of boarding gates to ten.

**** I Heard A Gunshot! <http://the-unseen-side-of-her.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-heard-gunshot-real-gunshot-no-kidding.html>
by Walk To Me
A real gunshot! No kidding! At Outram Park MRT station today!

**** Singapore's Temasek Tells US Its Goals Are Commercial <http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUSSIN33955320080306>
by Reuters
Singapore state investor Temasek, trying to soothe Western concerns over investments by Asian and Middle Eastern government funds, has told the United States its intentions are commercial and aimed at maximising long-term returns.

**** Escape Has Yet To Dent Government's Hubris <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/03/06/ji-leaders-prison-break-hasnt-dented-govts-hubris-one-bit/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen
It is just unfortunate that despite the gravity of the mistakes that were made by MHA officials before and after Mas Selamat's escape, Singaporeans are still expected to put up with haughty statements and lack of transparency from our government.
/At the bare minimum, the Singapore government has demonstrated a lack of skill in crisis management./

**** Is It The Borrower's Fault When Returned Book Can't Be Found? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/241392.asp>
by Pauli Priskila, Today

**** Means Testing: Spell Out Rules For Special Cases <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_213816.html>
by Jason Chiam Chiah Sern, Straits Times
While minister Khaw has given an assurance that he would be flexible on the matter, I am less sanguine.