[MyAppleMenu] Mar 4, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 4 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** ExpanDrive <http://daringfireball.net/2008/03/expandrive>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

**** With Software And An iBand, There's No Need For Roadies <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/technology/03iphone.html?em&ex=1204779600&en=a6f76a55ffb30700&ei=5087%0A>
by Eric A. Taub, New York Times
"To use the iPhone as a music instrument isn't about getting a technically perfect song together... It has very innovative input methods, but we could also use any sort of synthesizer and full band equipment; with today's technology there are no limitations. But we think that exactly the limitation is what creates a spirit. Of all possilbe things you can do with a mobile phone, what could be more meaningful than to create music?"

**** Mac Switch Revisited: An Enterprise PC Shop's Move To Apple Isn't As Easy As Expected <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=312300>
by Julia King, Computerworld
Auto Warehousing Co.'s switch from PCs to Macs is proving more painful than expected.

**** A Terrific Tool For Tracking Daily Tasks <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/5589357.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
OmniFocus is the best tool I've found for task management.

**** Bestsellers <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2008/03/03/bestsellers>
by Mark Pilgrim, Dive Into Mark
One of these things is not like the others.

**** Why Slashdot Owes Apple An Apology <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16946/1090/>
by Sam Varghese, iTWire
Does the fact that Apple has a well-developed operating system based on UNIX rile some people who claimt o be FOSS boosters? I'd like to think it doesn't but last week I noticed something on the American technology news accumulator site Slashdot that really made me wonder.

**** Apple Down As Analysts Cut Price Targets <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8V68JGG1.htm>
by Associated Press
Shares of Apple Inc. dropped Monday after a pair of analysts reduced their share price targets for the iPod and computer maker, with one citing cuts in iPod production.

**** What Makes Apple Golden <http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/29/news/companies/amac_apple.fortune/index.htm>
by Betsy Morris, Fortune
The creator of the iPod and iPhone sets a dazzling new standard for innovation and mass appeal, driven by an obsessive CEO who wants his products to be practically perfect in every way.

**** Review: Meander <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/meander.html>
by Cedric Bosch and Ilene Hoffman, MacNN

**** Reading Steve Jobs <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/reading-steve-jobs/>
by John Markoff, New York Times
Certainly stranger things have happened. Wouldn't it be ironic if Mr. Jobs could ultimately claim to have saved reading books in the digital age?

**** Red Marble Releases Build-A-Lot Game <http://www.macworld.com/article/132326/2008/03/buildalot.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** From The Lab: Penryn Powers MacBook Pro Gains <http://www.macworld.com/article/132330/2008/03/macbookpro_bench.html>
by James Galbraith, Macworld
New generation of Core 2 Duo chips bolsters performance in Apple's latest laptops.

**** Seriously Stoked Software Updates: GarageBand And Apeture <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/03/seriously-stoked-software-updates-garageband-and-aperture>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
Apple issued two software updates this afternoon &mdash; one for GarageBand, and the other for the recently-updated Aperture.

**** Microsoft: IE8 To Support Standards From The Start <http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9884688-56.html>
by Ina Fried, CNET News.com
Aiming to demonstrate that its commitment to interoperability goes beyond fancy statements, Microsoft said Monday that it is shifting its plans for the next version of Internet Explorer to make the program more friendly to web standards.

**** Blogging Boosts Your Social Life: Research <http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/03/2178512.htm>
by Claudine Ryan, ABC Science

**** Acorns <http://www.slate.com/id/2183120/?from=rss>
by Linda Pastan, Slate

**** History <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/03/10/080310po_poem_dunn>
by Stephen Dunn, New Yorker

**** Raj, Bohemian <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/03/10/080310fi_fiction_kunzru>
by Hari Kunzru, New Yorker
We liked to do things casually. We called at the last minute. We messaged one another from our hand-held devices.

**** Words Matter <http://www.slate.com/id/2185606/?from=rss>
by Christopher Hitchens, Slate
Cliche, not plagiarism, is the problem with today's pallid political discourse.

**** T3: Latest Hotspot Mall For Families Here <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_213264.html>
by Tessa Wong, Straits Times
Eateries and the supermarket at Terminal 3 have been doing brisk business since its opening.
/Good food is good food, regardless where the restaurant is./

**** Singapore's Fourth University To Be An Independent, Medium-Sized Institution <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_213148.html>
by Sandra Dvaie, Straits Times

**** School Of Science And Technology To Open In 2010 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/332780/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
There will be a new secondary school option for primary school leavers come 2010 - a new School of Science and Technology will offer students a four-year curriculum, placing heavy emphasis on applied learning.

**** Expats Vote Singapore, Copenhagen Top Places: Survey <http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKSIN31307520080304>
by Reuters
Asian expatriates have ranked Singapore as the best plac to live in the world ofr its safe and clean environment.

**** A Glimpse Of Singapore <http://www.icis.com/blogs/green-chemicals/2008/03/a-glimpse-of-singapore.html>
by Doris De Guzman, Green Chemicals
Spending a few days is not enough to delve more about Singaporeans' green consciousness but the government is definitely into climate change.

**** Selangor Vs. Singapore <http://elizabethwong.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/selangor-vs-singapore/>
by Elizabeth Wong

**** Singapore's GIC To Improve Transparency Amid Growing Scrutiny <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/03/03/afx4725429.html>
by Thomson Financial

**** Will Reason Ever Prevail? <http://singaporekopitok.blogspot.com/2008/03/will-reason-ever-prevail.html>
by Singapore Kopi Tok
Let the bureaucrats put forth their arguments and attempt at transparency and accountability before any mob lynching is meted out.

**** Singapore Government Butt Of Jokes After Prison Escape <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5itRCXkEtQUfTtL7UdMh4TkIlwfcQ>
by AFP
Terrorism is usually no laughing matter, especially not in security-conscious Singapore, but the escape from custody of a limping Islamist extremist suspect has led to scorn on the internet.
Barbed jokes and irreverent spoofs have sprouted up on websites five days after Mas Selamat bin Kastari, the alleged Singapore chief of regional terror group Jemaah Islamiyah, escaped with apparent ease from a detention centre.

**** Residents Ask: Why Kill Our Trees? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,158087,00.html?>
by New Paper

**** Bumpy Ride For New Taxi-Stand-Only Rule <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/241002.asp>
by Jinny Koh and Ng Jing Yng, Today
On the first day of the work week since the change kicked in, cabbies and commuters alike did not seem to have bought into the new rule that taxis can stop for pasengers only at taxi stands and building driveways in the Central Business District.w