[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 18 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple: Microsoft's Other Nemesis <http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/06/18/apple-microsofts-other-nemesis/>
by Heidi N. Moore, Wall Street Journal
Apple is just as formidable a competitor, with a well-documented history of menacing Microsoft's lead in advertising, mobile and software.

**** iPod Touch Supplies Seeing Shortages, Changes Due By September <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/18/ipod_touch_supplies_seeing_shortages_changes_due_by_september.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Stocks of some iPod touch models are starting to run low and may be connected to recent promotional announcements, according to one Wall Street analyst, who also notes that the advent of the $199 iPhone 3G will put pressure on Apple to alter its pricing on the high-end media players in the next few months.

**** Apple Is Silicon Valley's Sweatshop <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/18/apple-silicon-valley-sweatshop>
by Nick Farrell, The Inquirer
Lower wages but they love it.

**** NoobProof 1.1 And WaterRoof 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133929/2008/06/noobproof_waterroof.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Mac OS X's built-in firewall&mdash;an implementation of the Unix ipfx program&mdash;works well, but Apple offers very few options for configuration. Hanynet's NoobProof 1.1 and WaterRoof 2.0 are utilities that provide just such customization.

**** My Most Anticipated (Announced) iPhone Applications <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1872>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
I've already got a few favorite iPhone applications based on early descriptions and screen shots that have surface since WWDC.

**** MobileMe: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/134025/2008/06/mobileme.html>
by Macworld
Here's what to expect when Apple throws the switch, and .Mac transforms into MobileMe.

**** Switching From PC To Apple; A Programmer's Perspective <http://finance.lessonstudio.org/2008/06/17/switching-from-pc-to-apple-a-programmers-perspective/>
by Great White North Prognostications
I would say that productivity is way up with the exception of some key slips where I use the Windows key combos.

**** New Apple Store Is A Glass Act <http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/queue-starts-for-apples-glass-act/2008/06/18/1213468485435.html>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald
For a place that sells only Macs, there are a lot of windows in the new $15 million Sydney Apple Store.
And, although the doors won't be opening to the public until 5 pm on Thursday, a queue of enthusiasts has already formed outside the interlocking glass panels that form the facade of Apple's first retail outlet in the southern hemisphere.

**** Criminal Defense Law With An Apple: Seven Reasons To Switch To An Apple <http://www.abanet.org/genpractice/newsletter/lawtrends/0806/litigation_pelley.html>
by Aaron Pelley, Law Trends &amp; News Practice Area Newsletter
Go to an Apple store and try using an Apple comptuer. See what you think. I bet within a few months you will be trying to figure out why you did not switch your office over sooner.

**** She's The Apple Of Their Eye <http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/she39s_the_apple_of_their_eye_549646>
by Valerio Veo, SBS World News Australia
There's a glint in an Apple aficionados eye when they talk about their favorite product that can be described as evangelic, a little weird, or both.

**** Petite Model Perfects The Art Of Exploiting Apple <http://www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/petite-model-perfects-the-art-of-exploiting-apple/2008/06/17/1213468381185.html?page=fullpage>
by Stephen Hutcheon, The Age
They don't keep tabs on this sort of things but, if they did, Isobella Jade would probably hold the record for being Apple's most famous freeloader.

**** 16:9 Computer Displays: Let's Not Go There <http://lowendmac.com/musings/08mm/golden-ratio.html>
by Dan Knight, Low End Mac
Perfect for HDTV, but not for computing.
/Besides, you are not a true movie fan if you are fussy about having black bars on the sides of the screen./

**** Apple: Mac Unit Sales Grew 50% In May <http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/06/17/apple-mac-unit-sales-grew-50-in-may/>
by Eric Savitz, Barrons

**** The New UI Wars: Why There's No Flash On iPhone 2.0 <http://counternotions.com/2008/06/17/flash-iphone/>
by Counternotions
In this highly charged and competitive marketplace to establish the next UI paradigm for mobile devices, Apple is not about to give Adobe or any other company free reins to dilute its brand proposition by introducing cross-platform, common-denominator UIs and interaction patterns to be mingled with Apple's carefully orchestrated multi-touch approach.

**** The Battle Of The Browsers <http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2008/06/17/the-battle-of-the-browsers/>
by Greg Lamb, Christian Science Monitor
At stake for Microsoft and Apple are prestige and name recognition, or, for Mozilla, the quest to promote an "open source" world of software. Commerce isn't too far behind, of course. Even though browsers don't directly create revenue, they are indirect pathways to it.

**** Apple Proposes OpenCL As High-Speed Computing Standard <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/17/apple_proposes_opencl_as_high_speed_computing_standard.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Apple has signed on to an industry-wide alliance that will see many companies, including some of the Mac maker's processor and video card suppliers, work together to develop an open format for accelerating specialized computing.

**** iPhone 3G Activation Will Be Required At Time Of Purchase <http://www.macworld.com/article/134024/2008/06/activation.html>
by Jim Darlymple, Macworld
AT&amp;T spokesman Mark Siegel confirmed for /Macworld/ that activation must be done at the time of purchase, in-store.

**** Author Elliot Aronson. Measuring Mistakes. <http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/aronson/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple
"When Mac OS X was released with VoiceOver it was a lifesaver. It's the single most important technical invention for me. It kept me in the game, allowed me to write without really being able to see the words on the screen."

**** Review: Amnesty Singles 1.3.3 <http://cultofmac.com/review-amnesty-singles-133/2095>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac

**** Apple Sydney Store Unveiled, Opens June 19Th <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/16/apple-sydney-store-unveiled-opens-june-19th/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

**** Parallels Releases First Intel Mac Server Virutlaization Software <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9098678&source=rss_topic123>
by Eric Lai, Computerworld
$999 per server allows for an unlimited number of CPU cores.

**** iDisk Now Unsupported By Firefox 3, Safari For Windows <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/17/idisk-now-unsupported-by-firefox-3-safari-for-windows>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** The Curious Case Of The Missing iPhone Features <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/06/17/the-curious-case-of-the-missing-iphone-features/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
I'm just curious to know what Apple's reasoning is for leaving out features that would seem, given the numerous demos of how quick it is to write software for the iPhone, to be easy enough to implement.

**** Phone Plugins Brings Quick-Dial To Leopard <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/17/quick.dial.for.leopard/>
by MacNN
Nova Media has released Phone Plugins, a utility that allows one-click dialing and text messaging from any application in Leopard.

**** So How Do iPhone Apps Save Files? <http://www.macworld.com/article/133971/2008/06/iphone_open_save.html>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
The web's going to have to come to the rescue here.
/A lot of new things to learn as developers move from creating desktop applications and web applications to iPhone applications./

**** Firrefox 3.0 Released, Servers Overwhelmed <http://www.macworld.com/article/134018/2008/06/firefox.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Mozilla released Firefox on Tuesday after a public preview that lasted months. New features include one-click bookmarking, instant web site ID (to help identify online scams and unsafe transactions), improved performanc,e web page zooming, password management, a smart location bar, and platform-native look and feel.

**** CodeWeavers Ships CrossOver 7 Virtualization Software <http://www.macworld.com/article/134010/2008/06/crossover7.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
CrossOver enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows applications. It works differently from other virtualization software because it doesn't require Windows to be installed in order to run Windows software.

**** iPhone 3G: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/133988/2008/06/iphone3gfaqs.html>
by Macworld
Here's what we've figured out after talking to AT&amp;T, scouring the web, and racking our brains.

**** Adobe: iPhone Flash In Early Development <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/17/adobe.on.iphone.flash/>
by MacNN
An iPhone version of Adobe's ubiquitous Flash plug-in is still early into development, the company has admitted.
/Adobe should really avoid over-promising, even if the barrier lies entirely within Apple./

**** Review: Now Up-To-Date &amp; Contact 5.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133965/2008/06/nowutdc.html>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
Excellent contact manager in holding pattern.

**** Apple Offers Xserve Firmware Patch <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21698>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
The Xserve EFI Firmware Update 1.1 fixes several issues to improve the stability of Xserves, Apple advises of its 1.6MB patch.

**** Tidy Up! 1.4.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133909/2008/06/tidyup14.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Hyperbolic Software's Tidy Up! is a powerful solution to finding and removing duplicate files.

**** Yahoo's Yang May Be Yearning For Yesterday <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/yahoos-yang-may.html>
by Jessica Guynn, Los Angeles Times

**** At Social Site, Only The Busiensslike Need Apply <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/technology/18linkedin.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Brad Stone, New York Times
Now, in the midst of Silcon Valley's recession-proof enthusiasm for community-oriented web sites, the most boring of the social networks is finally grabbing the spotlight.

**** Washington: City And Symbol - Or Neither? <http://www.europeanaffairs.org/current_issue/2008_winter_spring/2008_winter_spring_18.php4>
by Kenneth Ringle, European Affairs
If Washington seems disappointing as a modern urban center (and perhaps to some European vistors as a national capital), it is not all L'Enfant's fault. In his fascinatingly vivid account of the city's first planner and his modern legacy, Scott Berg, a Pulizer prize-winning biographer and historian of the American heritage, shows that L'Enfant designed a substantially more libable national capital than the one the nation has ended up with.

**** Scenes From A Weekend Poetry Conference <http://www.creativenonfiction.org/brevity/brev27/mcclanahan_poetry.html>
by Rebecca McClanahan, Brevity 27

**** Watch <http://www.slate.com/id/2188040/?from=rss>
by Eamon Grennan, Slate

**** Marina Boulevard Closed Temporarily After Soil Near Road Sinks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354949/1/.html>
by Hiroshi Limmell, Channel NewsAsia

**** Misreporting By Reporters Without Borders <http://article14.blogspot.com/2008/06/misreporting-by-reporters-without.html>
by Article 14
This kind of reporting does not, in any way, assist in promoting the truth.

**** Singapore Exports Fall As Western Demand Ebbs <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121372838126581691.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by John Jannarone, Wall Street Journal
Exports from Singapore in May fell the most in more than two years as shipments to the U.S. and Europe tumbled, highlighting the island state's exposure to weaker demand from Western developed economies.
The data come as Singapore's central bank has embraced a stronger currency to fight inflation; that policy tool might be causing unwanted harm to the important manufacturing sector.

**** Singapore Table Tennis: Is There More - Or Less - Than Meets The Eye? <http://singaporesportsfan.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/singapore-table-tennis-is-there-more-or-less-than-meets-the-eye/>
by The SingaporeSportsfan Says...
I will feel no pride should our women paddlers go on to break our 48-year Olympic medal drought at Beijing in August.

**** Manifesto For A New Singapore - In Honour Of My Favourite Young Politician's 18Th Birthday <http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2008/06/manifesto-for-new-singapore-in-honour.html>
by Tang Li, Desparatebeep
Singapore has run a successful course but it is now necessary to ensure it continues to do so in the future.

**** Temasek To Reduce Stake In Shin Corp <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dcf9ab22-3c3b-11dd-b958-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1>
by Amy Kazmin, Financial Times
Singapore's Temasek Holdings plans to reduce its stake in Shin Corp, the Thai group it took control of more than two years ago, through a public offering of shares.
Shin Corp shares are trading at Bt25 per share, a 35 per cent discount to their net asset value, reflecting the political changes in Thailand and Mr Thaksin's fortunes since the purchase.

**** STT Divestment Clears Pebble From Temasek's Shoe <http://old.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20080618.A07&irec=6>
by Vincent Lingga, Jakarta Post
Selling the stake to Qatar Telecom was simultaneously a clever business and political decision.

**** Up, Up And Away - The ERP Takes Off <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/06/up-up-and-away-erp-takes-off.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Car ownership just makes you a rather easy victim for the government's Pay-&amp;-Pay policies.

**** Baby Bust! The World Is Panicking Over Birthrates. Again. <http://reason.com/news/show/126855.html>
by Kerry Howley, Reason Magazine
Modern fertility panic stems from a desire to reshape polyglot cultures, to regain control over women's reproductive choices, and to locate a single, easy-to-undersand culprit for disparate social problems. As they have for hundreds of years, societies are projecting their deepest anxieties onto empty wombs.

**** Cabinet To Decide On AirAsia's Proposal <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/2269749/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times
AirAsia's propoal to increase the number of flights to Singapore will be referred to the cabinet, transport minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat said yesterday.

**** I Am Opposed To The Idea Of Allowing Cyclists Onto Pavement
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
For the record, I am opposed to the idea of changing the law so that cyclists can ride on pedestrian walkways. Essentially, this will simply transfer the problem of bullying from the roads (by motorists to cyclists) to the walkways (by cyclists to pedestrians.)

**** Suggestions Are Not Welcomed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/suggestions-are-not-welcomed/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen

**** Talking Cock! <http://salemboy81.blogs.friendster.com/salems_story/2008/06/talking_cock.html>
by Abdul Salim, You Have A Choice
What about our own ministers? Do they have the heart? Why don't any of them take the initiative for a pay cut? Streamline the government. Is there a need for a minister mentor post in the government? Isn't it just a waste of money and resources?

**** Opposition Politician JBJ's Reform Party Gets Approval <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354833/1/.html>
by Lin Yan Qin, Today
More than a year after veteran opposition politician Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam announced he was formng a new political party and making a political comeback, the Reform Party is now an officially-registered society.

**** Give Singaproeans More Information - Seelan Palay <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/give-sporeans-more-information-seelan-palay/>
by Andew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** National Service - What They Can Do About It <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=532>
by Insane Polygons
The problem is not with NS but with how it's bbeing implemented.

**** Family: We Lost $290,000 Over Back Lane <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,168029,00.html?>
by Celine Lim, New Paper
While trying to retrieve an online copy of the title deed to the back lane, the Goh family found out that the tiny strip of land had been acquired by the government in an island-wide exercise in April last year.
The family said they did not recieve any letter informing them that the back lane had been acquired. Neither did they get any compensation.

**** Bike Ride Paradise <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/260222.asp>
by Bryan MacKinnon, Today
In comparison to other major cities in the West, there are very few bike paths in Singapore.

**** ERP Rates In CBD To Go Up, 5 New Gantries Added <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/354705/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
The electronic road pricing (ERP) rates for 32 of 65 gantries will increase by between 50 cents and S$2.00. Five new ERP gantries along the Singapore River will also be activated on July 7.